PENNY CONNORS APPOINTED EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, ASSOCIATION OF FUNDRAISING PROFESSIONALS (AFP) GREATER TORONTO CHAPTER
October 31, 2019 — On behalf of the Greater Toronto Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), it gives me great pleasure to announce the appointment of Penny Connors as the new Executive Director for the Chapter.
After 25 years of incredible service to the Chapter, Cynthia Quigley will be retiring this January. Recently, the Greater Toronto Chapter Board launched a comprehensive search, led by the team at KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.), to identify a seasoned association professional to provide leadership to the Chapter during this exciting next phase of growth. Penny was selected from a long list of qualified candidates due to her extensive experience in the not-for-profit association and regulatory sectors, including leading subject matter expert teams to enhance certification standards and processes, working with not-for-profit Boards and Board committees in Finance, Governance and Human Resource oversight and leadership of member service initiatives.
With degrees in Psychology and Business Administration from York University, the Certificate in Human Resource Management (CHRM) from the Human Resources Professional Association (HRPA) of Ontario, the Canadian Risk Management (CRM) designation, the OISE Certificate in Adult Education and the Certified Association Executive (CAE) designation through the Canadian Society of Association Executives (CSAE), Penny brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to help deliver on the Chapter’s Strategic Plan and ensure we continue to enhance and deliver on our member services and promise.
Penny’s experience includes:
- Financial Management: financial administration including budgeting, audit support, project costing and variance reporting; Bachelor of Administrative Studies (BAS) degree with an accounting focus including Cost, Financial and Management Accounting
- Operations: office management including oversight for human resources, finance, systems support, purchasing, reception and facilities
- Human Resources: human resources management experience including staff recruitment, on-boarding, team leadership, training and development, performance management and occupational health and safety
- Leadership/Project Management: experience leading the development, implementation and monitoring of member service and sector specific strategies, policies, plans, communication initiatives, client service quality standards and education programs;
- Senior Management/Strategic Planning: management experience including Board governance, strategic planning, committee liaison/support, objective setting and operational reporting/briefing
“I am thrilled to be joining the AFP Greater Toronto Chapter and look forward to continuing the great success of the Chapter with our amazing AFP team. I look forward to meeting everyone at our 2019 Congress!” – Penny Connors
Penny’s first official day with AFP will be November 25, 2019 – we are thrilled she can join us to attend what will be another great Congress conference. Cynthia will be working to transition leadership over to Penny until January 6, 2020.
I would like to take a moment to thank KCI for a very successful search process, as well take a moment to recognize the other members of the search committee who worked with me on this recruitment. This includes HR Chair, Ken Aucoin, President-Elect, Amy Pawluk, Chair of Governance, Jennifer Bernard and Lori Gusdorf, Executive Vice President, AFP Foundation for Philanthropy (AFP Global).
Please take a moment to welcome Penny to the Chapter.
Hope to see you at Congress where we will be celebrating Cynthia’s retirement!
President, AFP Greater Toronto Chapter Board of Directors
President & CEO, Plan International Canada