Posted On: 2017-03-13
Closing On: 2017-03-31
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Do you want to make a difference in helping to solve one of the most challenging humanitarian crises of our time? The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 126 countries, protecting over 60 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then we’ve been on the ground helping over 50 million people forced to leave their homes, and have even received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We’re passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You’ll be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who’s not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
1. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Reporting to the Head of Individual Giving in Toronto and working within a growing team, the Development Associate will:
- Work with the Head of Individual Giving to create fundraising plans and develop new opportunities to secure support for UNHCR from mid-level donors and prospects.
- Develop and implement high-level relationship-building initiatives, cultivate and solicit prospects for leadership and legacy gifts.
- Prepare fundraising materials such as proposals, briefing notes, call reports, letters, and other marketing materials as required.
- Manage appropriate donor cultivation, acknowledgement and stewardship plans are identified and implemented effectively and consistently for the mid-level donor segment.
- Use prospect identification, research and qualification processes to generate prospects and implement strategies to drive mid-level giving.
- Work with the Head of Individual Giving to establish agreed upon individual metrics and ensure that personal and team revenue goals are achieved.
- Develop strategies to target and prospect small/medium business prospects.
- Support stewardship event initiatives where applicable.
- Work closely with other members of the Individual Giving team to deliver the highest standards of donor service in every interaction.
- Ensure donor activity is accurately and fully recorded in the database.
- Track activity against targets ensuring financial goals are met or exceeded.
2. Qualifications and Experience
Completion of Secondary Education with certificate/ training in communication, marketing, advertising, international development or other related discipline.
b. Work Experience
Minimum 4 years of experience with 2+ years of experience in a development officer fundraising position at a charity.
c. Key Competencies
- History of success closing gifts (or comparable metric in corporate terms)
- At least one year of experience with Raiser's Edge (or similar database).
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- A demonstrated customer service focus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work confidently under pressure to deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Good computer skills, in particular Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- English speaking. French an asset.
Please submit your resume and cover letter consolidated into one document to email@example.com by March 31, 2017 at 5pm EST with “Development Associate” in the subject line. Unfortunately we are unable to take phone calls at this time. Thank you!