Posted On: 2017-03-13
Closing On: 2017-03-31
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Do you want to make a difference in helping to solve one of the most challenging humanitarian crises of our time? The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is the world’s leading not-for-profit organization in helping and protecting the millions of people forced to flee their homes because of violence, conflict and persecution. We deliver life-saving assistance, including shelter, food and water while also safeguarding fundamental human rights, safety and dignity.
Our Canadian office is part of a global network that works in 126 countries, protecting over 60 million people. We were founded in 1950 as part of the United Nations effort to help people displaced by World War II. Since then we’ve been on the ground helping over 50 million people forced to leave their homes, and have even received two Nobel Prizes for our work.
We’re passionate about the people we help—and the amazing team of people who work for us. We thrive on excellence, integrity and respect for diversity. Our culture is dynamic, results-oriented and focused on change, ready to tackle the latest global humanitarian crisis. You’ll be part of a newly growing team that—due to a significant revitalization process—is set for transformational growth. We need someone who’s not only ready to jump in at the start of this journey, but has the skills, energy and creativity to help shape what comes next.
1. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Private Sector Partnerships (PSP) Fundraising Assistant will be the bilingual first point-of-contact for donors at UNHCR Canada. This position will be responsible for donor quality control and includes such functions as acknowledgments, preparing correspondence, processing donations, data-entry, performing outbound calls and answering emails. In detail, the Assistant will:
- Provide front-line customer service through the phone and email regarding gift acknowledgements, refunds, tax receipt requests and other donation related issues.
- Prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence.
- Call, email and mail monthly donors to reactivate declined credit card or direct debit accounts.
- Provide monthly donor stewardship calls, emails and handwritten thank-you notes.
- Prepare and send out tribute and symbolic gift cards as needed.
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail, couriers; opens, sorts and processes donor mail.
- Handle third-party event requests including sending out welcome packages, tracking fundraising events and working directly with organizers to assist in planning.
- Pull daily, weekly and monthly reports from database on key performance metrics.
- Maintain and update Raiser’s Edge donor database.
- Other tasks as needed.
2. Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education with certificate/ training in administration, communication, marketing, advertising, international development or other related discipline
b. Work Experience
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in a donor service role at a charity or not-for-profit.
c. Key Competencies
- Bachelor's degree or college diploma.
- Bilingual in both English and French (written and oral).
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Raiser’s Edge experience a desirable asset.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work confidently under pressure to deadlines.
- Maintains a positive attitude – is outgoing and cheerful with donor interactions.
- Ability to work with confidential information with discretion.
Please submit your resume and cover letter consolidated into one document to email@example.com by March 31, 2017 at 5pm EST with “Fundraising Assistant” in the subject line. Unfortunately we are unable to take phone calls at this time. Thank you!