Posted On: 2017-03-14
Closing On: 2017-03-29
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Amnesty International is a worldwide movement of 7 million ordinary people in more than 150 countries who come together to achieve extraordinary results in defending and promoting human rights. We get discriminatory laws changed and prisoners of conscience released. We’ve helped stop torture, commute death sentences and worked to end violence against women. We stand alongside Indigenous Peoples demanding that their rights be respected.
Amnesty International is seeking an energetic, experienced and motivated Manager of Major Gifts and Legacies to help grow these two important fundraising programs. This is a full-time, permanent position based in our Toronto office. Amnesty’s Major Gifts team (3 staff) is based in Toronto, while the Legacies team (2 staff) is based in Ottawa. Regular travel to Ottawa is a requirement of this job. The Manager of Major Gifts & Legacies will also manage our Regional Fundraising Officers in Calgary and Vancouver, and one to be hired in Ottawa in early 2017.
Primary areas of responsibility:
- Provide strategic leadership and direction to the Major Gifts team, including the development of a long-term plan for income growth, and annual plans. In addition to leading the team, the Manager of Major Gifts & Legacies will manage a portfolio of major donors and prospects of their own.
- Provide strategic leadership and direction to the Legacies team, including the development of a long-term plan for income growth, and annual plans.
- Provide strategic leadership and support to the Regional Fundraising Officers, including the development of annual plans which support all fundraising programs.
- Budget for income and expenditures in both programs; track progress against budgets, and report regularly on key metrics and performance indicators. Provide reports for the management team and board as required.
- Manage the staff in Major Gifts, Legacies and Regional fundraising, including coaching, work planning, performance reviews, training plans, etc.
- Lead the organization's work on Foundation grants and Workplace giving.
The Manager of Major Gifts & Legacies will be part of the Fundraising Management Team of Amnesty International, and will report to the Fundraising Director.
For full details, please refer to the job description on Amnesty’s website
- University degree
- Demonstrated success in major gifts and legacy fundraising
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a senior fundraising position
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience managing a staff of 2 or more
- Excellent communication skills including strong writing and editing
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines and juggle many projects at the same time
- Ability to connect and communicate effectively with a diverse range of donors and prospects
- Ability to lead, mentor and coach staff in the teams
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and experience
- Well-developed sense of responsibility and priority setting
- Demonstrated proficiency with databases, data management and analysis
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel and Internet Explorer
- Knowledge of social media platforms, e.g. Twitter, Facebook, etc. is an asset
- CFRE desirable
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours/week)
Start date: As soon as possible
Location: Toronto Regional Office
Travel: Regular travel required
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until noon March 29, 2017
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Manager of Major Gifts and Legacies in the subject line. Include a single attachment including the covering letter explaining how your experience and qualifications match this position, your resumé, and three work-related references.
Amnesty International is committed to employment equity, actively seeks diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified applicants including women, members of racial minorities, Aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities.
Accommodations are available to job applicants with disabilities upon request.