Posted On: 2017-03-15
Closing On: 2017-04-02
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Contract
Join the Ontario Science Centre, one of Canada’s most visited cultural attractions and a world-renowned educational institution that welcomes nearly one million visitors a year. We offer hands-on science and technology-based experiences that help visitors of all ages understand and contribute to the world around us. Play a critical role in establishing and growing a comprehensive fund development program for individuals, that supports the Centre through revenue and donor engagement strategies.
What can I expect in this role?
As an experienced fundraising professional, you will provide leadership to Annual Giving, Major Gifts, Community Giving and Donor Stewardship programs for the Ontario Science Centre. You will build the Innovators Circle for donors of $25,000+; identify prospects; prepare persuasive and inspiring funding proposals and donors communications; personally solicit donors and provide support for senior volunteers; build relationships with donors/influencers through special events and other activities; recommend and track revenue goals/expenditure levels; ensure annual targets are met; provide strategic leadership in the identification, solicitation and stewardship of donors; enhance renewals and expand the donor base through excellence in donor relations and solicitation. You will also develop, recommend and implement strategic direction and policy and activities related to prospect cultivation and stewardship of individual donors and the Centre as a whole.
How do I qualify?
- Demonstrated major gift, individual and community giving experience and advanced skills in managing prospects and developing successful strategies and approaches for gift solicitation.
- Proven track record of success with personal sales and securing philanthropic support (i.e. major gifts of $25,000 or more from individuals), preferably in an arts, cultural or educational institution.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity to identify and develop gift opportunities linked to organizational priorities and experience with developing customized approaches to meet donor interests.
- Experience with engaging new prospects through independent research, prospect identification and personal engagement with proven success in developing and implementing comprehensive donor solicitation plans.
- Knowledge of standards and practices in major gift, individual and community fundraising.
- Advanced knowledge of fundraising research, cultivation and engagement principles and best practices.
Relationship Management and Communication Skills
- Exceptional oral communication skills to interact effectively with board members, senior level volunteers, CEO and senior staff; experience working communication agencies or others to develop the case for support for different funding opportunities
- Exceptional written skills and attention to detail to create compelling communications including: strategic proposals; persuasive and inspiring cultivation and solicitation documents; and, powerful engagement and stewardship communications that provide evidence of the impact of donor support
- Superior presentation, negotiation and relationship management skills to engage, motivate and work with donors, prospects and volunteers in successful cultivation, gift solicitation and stewardship
- Collaboration and consultation skills to promote cooperation and exceptional customer service, and to motivate others to contribute to development of major gift opportunities and plans.
Donor Relations and Communications
- Strategic planning abilities to set and manage priorities to ensure program goals are met, including developing and implementing Major Gift, Individual and Community Giving programs along with related activities that will achieve revenue and growth targets
- Ability to research and develop a stewardship plan to cultivate new and nurture existing supporters
- Program management skills to lead program operations: identification, solicitation and cultivation of major and annual giving donors; donor relations program including recognition, stewardship, communications and reporting activities; and, to develop and implement administrative procedures and systems to ensure a successful program.
- Ability to plan, execute and evaluate strategies and relevant/required materials to attract and secure donors and deliver optimal outcome of projects/programs
- Experience and skills in determining processes and systems needed to operate effective Major Gift, Individual and Community Giving programs.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills to provide evaluation of activities and results
- Supervisory and administrative experience with respect to fundraising systems, as well as research, analytical, problem-solving, database and organization skills
- 1 Temporary (up to 18 months), 770 Don Mills Road, Toronto
Interested applicants must apply online at www.ontario.ca/careers, entering Job ID 105972 in the Job ID search field, by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, April 2, 2017.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.