Posted On: 2017-03-15
Closing On: 2017-04-10
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
CIFAR creates knowledge that will transform our world. The Institute brings together outstanding, international scholars and scientists to work in global research networks that address some of the most important questions our world faces today. Our networks help support the growth of research leaders and are catalysts for change in business, government and society.
Established in 1982, CIFAR is a Canadian-based, global organization, comprised of nearly 350 fellows, scholars and advisors from more than 100 institutes in 16 countries. CIFAR partners with the Government of Canada, provincial governments, individuals, foundations, corporations and research institutions to extend our impact in the world.
CIFAR requires an Advancement Officer, Corporations and Foundations, to work with the Advancement Department to support the planning and execution of CIFAR’s annual Corporate and Foundation campaign. This is a full-time position.
Given CIFAR’s dynamic nature, individual employees must be flexible and responsive to the shifting priorities and challenges at any given time. Within this context, outlined below is the core purpose of the position and examples of major responsibilities.
Purpose of the Position:
Lead development of effective funding proposals, letters of intent, stewardship reports and other deliverables for Corporate and Foundation partners and other supporters, through strategy development and writing.
Support cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of Corporate and Foundation supporters by preparing correspondence, responding to inquiries, developing briefing materials, and engaging CIFAR staff and volunteers as needed.
Provide key organizational support and project management to the Corporate and Foundation campaign by planning, tracking and driving fundraising activities necessary to achieve annual revenue goals.
Leads writing and development of funding proposals, letters of intent, stewardship reports or other deliverables for Corporate and Foundation donors and prospects:
- Works with Account Owners to develop strategies and key messages for Corporate and Foundation campaign deliverables
- Lead writer for all Corporate and Foundation campaign deliverables
- Monitors CIFAR news clippings, news releases, newsletter, Reach magazine, annual report and other communications materials for stories and content of potential interest to Corporate and Foundation donors or prospects
- Surveys and synthesizes content from Program Member Annual Reports, Program Directors’ Reports, and other CIFAR programs databases, to develop complete, accurate and compelling stories for use in Corporate and Foundation campaign deliverables
- Works with staff in other CIFAR departments to secure necessary content, input and approval for all Corporate and Foundation campaign deliverables, including financial reports and budgets.
- Ensures alignment of all Corporate and Foundation campaign deliverables and messaging with CIFAR brand and communications standards
- Leads in layout and design of all Corporate and Foundation campaign deliverables and other Advancement deliverables as assigned.
Provides key organizational support and project management to Corporate and Foundation campaign:
- Assist Director, Corporate & Foundation Partnerships, to develop and maintain a work plan for Corporate and Foundation campaign, identifying and establishing the activities necessary to renew, increase, acquire and steward Corporate and Foundation donors to achieve revenue goals and establish clear timeline for these activities.
- Plan and track activity within the Corporate and Foundation campaign, monitor progress toward deadlines, and proactively identify and plan for risks and contingencies.
- Work proactively with CIFAR staff and volunteers to ensure key deadlines are met and all activity is in place to move donors along the fundraising pipeline and achieve revenue goals.
- Using Salesforce CRM, track planned and completed activities; assign tasks and monitor progress toward goals and deadlines; and track and report on the donor pipeline.
Supports cultivation and solicitation of Corporate and Foundation donors and prospects:
- Work with Account Owners to develop and write effective LOIs, proposals, correspondence or other deliverables for current and prospective Corporate and Foundation donors.
- Work with the Director, Corporate & Foundation Partnerships, to identify new funding opportunities from prospective Corporate and Foundation donors and to rank prospects and develop and implement individual cultivation plans.
- Follow up on funding or grant requests in a timely, knowledgeable and professional manner.
- Coordinate cultivation, solicitation and meetings of current and prospective donors with staff and volunteers; participating in meetings as appropriate.
- Compile and synthesize information in briefing notes and completing follow up activities for meetings with Corporate and Foundation representatives
Prepares and executes strategies for donor stewardship:
- Work with Account Owners to develop and write effective stewardship reports or other stewardship deliverables for current and prospective Corporate and Foundation donors.
- In consultation with Director, develop and maintain an annual workplan for stewardship of Corporate and Foundation donors, ensuring that all stewardship obligations and standards are met, while leveraging additional opportunities for engaging donors as appropriate.
- Ensure alignment of Corporation and Foundation stewardship activity with the Advancement team’s stewardship strategies and standards
- Identify opportunities to engage donors with CIFAR research through updates, meetings, or other outreach
- Assist with developing strategies for ongoing donor recognition and stewardship activities; i.e., web site, Reach, Annual Report, web site, Scope e-newsletter, events, etc.
- Coordinate stewardship meetings, prepare briefing notes, and participate in meetings as appropriate.
- Participate in and help deliver CIFAR events
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in fundraising or a combination of education and experience;
- University degree required; Fundraising diploma/certificate an asset.
- Superior grant and partnership proposal and letter writing skills, including the ability to prepare accurate, complete and effective written materials for Corporate and Foundation supporters.
- Proven organizational and project management skills with demonstrated ability to manage simultaneous complex projects, meeting multiple goals and deadlines;
- Ability to effectively forge, manage and build constituent relationships;
- Computer skills: ability to use Google Docs and Microsoft Office suite effectively and efficiently; experience working with Constituent Relationship Management database systems in a fundraising or sales role;
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with staff, volunteers and donors to achieve business goals;
- Ability to effectively balance concurrent priorities, involving multiple internal and external stakeholders and interests, while maintaining a high level of professionalism and attention to detail.
- Experience with international fundraising considered an asset.
Position reports to: Director, Corporate & Foundation Partnerships
Term of position: Full time
Start date: ASAP
Contact: Qualified candidates should submit a Cover Letter and Resume in confidence to email@example.com quoting “Advancement Officer, Corporations and Foundations” in subject line.
The deadline for this posting is Monday, April 10, 2017.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply early as applications will be reviewed and evaluated as they are received.
To find out more, please visit our website: www.cifar.ca
CIFAR is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on abilities.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.