Posted On: 2017-03-17
Closing On: 2017-04-06
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: As soon as possible
Employment Type: Full-Time
ABOUT THE WALRUS FOUNDATION
The non-profit Walrus Foundation is dedicated to supporting writers, artists, and ideas and to creating forums for conversations on matters vital to Canadians. The foundation achieves these goals by publishing The Walrus magazine ten times a year, curating the national series of Walrus Talks, organizing leadership dinners, and posting original, daily content at thewalrus.ca. The foundation also trains future leaders in media, publishing, and non-profit development. One third of the organization’s revenue comes from philanthropic activities.
Reporting to and working with the director of development, the annual giving and events coordinator will grow the philanthropic revenue of the Walrus Foundation. The coordinator will organize and implement the Walrus Foundation’s annual giving activities including appeals, acknowledgements, reports, and other communications and will be responsible for events related to the identification, stewardship, and cultivation of donors. The position also shares responsibility for maintaining the donor database.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and willing to take complete ownership of critical duties.
Annual Giving Responsibilities
- Coordinate all activities of the annual giving program including but not limited to direct-mail solicitations, online appeals, donor communication, and reports
- Research individual donor and prospect information
- Maintain donor database (Salesforce), ensuring accuracy of records and reports
- Provide appropriate and timely gift acknowledgement
- Ensure proper donor recognition and stewardship
- Assist in the creation of external content and collateral
- Respond to or refer donor inquiries as appropriate
- Prepare department reports
- Work with the director of development to plan annual campaign activities
- Other duties as assigned
Event Coordination Responsibilities
- Provide event coordination support for the annual Walrus Gala and three or four smaller fundraising and cultivation events throughout the year
- Create invitations and manage guest-list preparation and RSVPs
- Coordinate sponsorship outreach and solicit in-kind donations
- Oversee food, beverage, and decor suppliers
- Create event collateral
- Manage and recruit development volunteers
- Other duties as assigned
- A university degree (or equivalent) with formal fundraising management training (preferred)
- Minimum of one year of experience in a fundraising environment with annual giving, large scale-event planning, project-management, and database-management experience
- Experience with fundraising database software, preferably Salesforce
- High proficiency in all MS Office products, particularly Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to manage and meet deadlines
- A passion for the educational mandate and activities of the Walrus Foundation
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Walrus Foundation offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Please consider joining our team if you have a strong commitment to a career in fundraising and are interested in supporting essential Canadian conversation and exceptional journalism.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on April 6, 2017. Only candidates who are to be interviewed will be contacted.