Are you an experienced sales or fundraising leader, excited by meeting new funders, building relationships of significance, and helping to dramatically grow the impact of an organization?
If you describe yourself as an ambitious, entrepreneurial and passionate business development, sales or fundraising leader, and if you are excited to apply these skills to a unique organization, you may be our ideal candidate. This position is your opportunity to join a high pace team, have fun, be highly mobile, and be part of a fast growing and innovative social venture.
Your ultimate goal at EWB? Successfully raise $2.5m in the next 3 years to be allocated to an early stage philanthropic capital seed fund toward Africa based social enterprises.
We are seeking someone experienced in business development, investor sales or major gift philanthropy. The ideal candidate is exceptional at building meaningful relationships and excited to apply their experience in a dynamic, for-purpose environment.
Engineers Without Borders invests talent and seed capital in forward-thinking African social enterprises. We support local innovators to accelerate their impact and apply their innovations on a global scale, to the benefit of millions. In Canada, we foster a community of leaders who promote the domestic changes needed to make inclusive economic opportunities a reality for all. We are building a $7m philanthropic seed fund to scale our approach to investing in founding-stage social enterprises in Africa.
Does this sound like you?
- 5-7 years of work experience within a fundraising/business development team with a visible track record of raising five, six and seven figure gifts.
- Passion for global issues.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Able to influence others and gain support for your ideas and EWB’s mission.
- Meticulous. Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Maybe you’re confident in french, too.
- Partner focused. Anticipates and responds to the needs of supporters and stakeholders.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial. Seeks out possibilities, develops new ideas, and effectively moves them forward.
- Creative problem solver. Thrives on working collaboratively. Positive attitude, high energy, enthusiastic.
- Flexibility, adaptability and grace under pressure. Willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
Role Description and Overview
You will join our Major Gifts team, raising funds for our Small and Growing Business venture portfolio in Africa. The team creates inspiring partnerships with philanthropists and foundations in Canada, the US and internationally.
The team has achieved 2 consecutive years of 30% year-over-year growth without investments in new capacity and closed $1m in gifts in 2017. We are on track to triple philanthropic gifts to EWB by 2020. We are ready to engage donors with larger giving potential, and you will own that goal with all of us! You will be one of four business development team members, with significant autonomy to build your prospecting and sales strategy. You will be expected to identify and grow a portfolio of relationships. You will champion lead generation and relationship building for a portfolio of contacts.
The ventures we support are some of most innovative and high potential early stage social enterprises existing on the African continent today. You will be expected to become intimate with their operations and their value propositions. You will also be expected to understand the finer details of EWB’s blended investment approach and to develop a confident understanding of EWB’s mission and value-add.
- Build a strong pipeline of individual and foundation prospects ($25k+) for yourself and the team.
- Establish 50 active high-potential relationships in 2017.
- Represent EWB in high stakes one-one conversations, and at key events.
- Work collaboratively with team to host events and support engagement and lead generation opportunities.
- Reach annual team fundraising targets.
- Lead conversations with your prospects, establishing a compelling vision of partnership.
- Support team members in their prospect conversations where your skills/experience will make a difference.
- High-touch stewardship and customized engagement
- Work with the team to lead/support cultivation visits, solicitation calls/meetings, gift asks, and stewardship activities.
- Anticipate partner/investor needs and engagement opportunities.
- Develop proposals in response to partner/investor interests and organizational needs, with support from our communications and fundraising team.
- Ensure partner/investor files are maintained, including capturing call notes, tasks/actions and correspondence.
What you’ll get:
- Opportunity to work with a leading Canadian organization.
- Competitive compensation package, including comprehensive benefits and professional development.
- A team of individuals who will invest in and care about your success.
- A incredible team of colleagues who will challenge and support you to apply your skills and experiences to drive results.
Location: Flexible, with strong preference for Toronto. Some travel across Canada, the US, elsewhere internationally required.
Applications on a rolling basis. You must submit your application via https://goo.gl/cw4x79
You should submit your resume and a cover letter, but don’t let that limit you in showcasing your best self however you see fit. Surprise us. Within your application please describe:
- Your experience and track record in developing relationships with major partners (individuals and/or foundations).
- Your unique interest for relationship-based fundraising for an organization focused on reducing poverty and inequality internationally.
- The current EWB-supported small business venture you’re most excited and passionate about.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. EWB is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered.
Posting Date: March 30, 2017