Posted On: 2017-03-31
Closing On: 2017-04-30
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
North York General Foundation is seeking a leading inspirational fundraising professional, committed to sharing their experience with an exceptional hospital foundation and donor community. In the structure of a campaign, the Director, Philanthropy will lead their team in strategic fund development and effective relationship management. This position reports directly to the Vice President.
North York General Foundation’s mission is to raise and steward funds that enable North York General to deliver exceptional health care to our diverse communities. We exist to help enable the hospital to fulfill its vision to lead the pursuit of excellence through learning, innovation and partnerships. Our philanthropic endeavours and passion are driven by the simple, compelling principle: Our patients come first in everything we do.
The Philanthropy team at North York General Hospital Foundation participates in individual and corporate major gifts, planned giving, prospective major gifts, mid-level/bridge donor giving, outreach to private foundations, Direct Response (including, but not limited to direct mail and tributes) and hospital family giving.
The Director, Philanthropy provides leadership and mentoring to the Philanthropy team, backed up by personal experience and success within the various portfolios. The Director is a significant contributor to the planning and implementation of Foundation activities to maximize individual, corporate and foundation donor support. The Director is expected to leverage volunteer connections, cultivate new and existing donors and solicit gifts at all levels in support of NYGH.
The position manages a team of philanthropy professionals as well as a personal portfolio of 50-80 prospects. In addition to managing a team and driving strategy, the Director is also expected to personally generate revenue for the Foundation (minimum of $1.5M annually in new cash and pledges).
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Annual Business Planning:
- Work at the strategic level with the Vice President and the President to complete the current campaign, and plan for and implement future campaigns.
- Develop and implement an annual plan for the Philanthropy team and prepare and manage a team budget, including a combined annual revenue target of over $8.5M.
- Direct overall strategy and execution of prospect activities related to the major gift prospect and donor cycle.
- Manage and support the Philanthropy team including recruitment and retention, performance management, professional development and establishing and achieving fundraising goals.
- Use experience to develop strategic plans for relationship building, with a particular focus on high net worth individuals/families and corporations, including hospital vendors.
- Ensure the evolution of the Prospect Pipeline and Moves Management processes, including establishing, adhering to, and prioritizing associated timelines.
- Work with colleagues to plan and develop proposals, and targeted communications for current and potential major gift donors.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and drive the expansion, identification, cultivation and recruitment of a major gift committee.
- Develop an updated Going Beyond Care Campaign Plan (to raise the balance of the campaign goal).
- Engage regularly with hospital leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift donors.
- Work with board and committee members on a regular basis, and participate as a staff lead on the Foundation’s Development Committee.
- Support the Foundation to promote planned giving, major gifts and tribute giving within key stakeholder groups of the NYGH hospital family.
- Support NYGHF’s Special Events through the solicitation of high level sponsorships.
- Must work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct role with integrity and respect.
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the Community, positively representing the Hospital and the Foundation.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Campaign experience is preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 6 years of experience working in fundraising and at least 2 years in a senior leadership position, including staff management experience.
- Planned giving experience.
- Hospital fundraising experience preferred.
- CFRE preferred.
- Understanding of, and experience with adherence to current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems.
- Demonstrated experience of the North York General community.
- Strong understanding of the Healthcare landscape in Ontario.
- Demonstrated leadership and the ability to successfully manage multi-functional areas.
- Ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and adapt strategic fundraising and stewardship plans.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to build a strong fundraising team and coach and mentor fundraising staff to improve their skills and build their career.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, and other foundation staff effectively and collaboratively.
- Strong understanding of the healthcare landscape in Ontario.
- Proven ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines.
- Experience working with senior volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities.
- Proven ability to exercise diplomacy and good judgment.
- Adherence to industry standards as they relate to confidentiality.
- A valid driver’s license, use of a reliable vehicle and ability to travel locally is required.
We offer a comprehensive compensation/benefits package, a professional and balanced working environment, and an opportunity to grow with an organization that represents excellence in the not-for-profit sector.
To apply for this role please forward your CV and Cover Letter to FoundationCareers@nygh.on.ca by April 30, 2017. Please reference “Director, Philanthropy” in the subject line.