Posted On: 2017-04-11
Closing On: 2017-05-08
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Senior Development Officer, Special Events
The Canadian Opera Company (“COC”) is currently seeking a positive, self-motivated, highly detail-oriented Senior Development Officer, Special Events to join our fast-paced team. The position will provide full administrative support to the Manager, Special Events to help achieve fundraising goals and support the external members of the volunteer committees.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assist in the planning, preparation, and administration of the COC Opera Club membership program and with COC events including Operanation, Centre Stage and the Fine Wine Auction, along with other events and tasks as assigned.
- Renew existing Opera Club members and identify and cultivate prospective members
- Organize and book tickets for all Opera Club members throughout the year and issue accordingly
- Liaise with production and front of house staff to organize Opera Club events
- Assist in the identification of unique opportunities to engage Opera Club members
- Manage/provide support to the Opera Club committee
- Ensure consistent messaging across membership program and provide updated content for the website
- Monitor the success of Opera Club events to determine possible program modifications and improvements
- Liaise with other major arts organizations with young patrons’ membership programs to exchange advice, insight and other relevant information
- Assist with the co-ordination of fundraising events
- Track and process all event revenue, expenses and in-kind donations including deposits, credit cards and receipting (including tax receipting)
- Solicit and track donations, silent auction and raffle items for events
- Create copy for event materials and manage process with design agency to ensure timely delivery
- Work with the marketing team to create and implement social media
- Provide updated event content for the website in a timely manner
- Co-ordinate all event-related mailings, including mail merges, ticketing and thank you letters for sponsors and donors
- Assist in the preparation of meeting materials, as required
- Solicit and manage event volunteers
- Support the various event committees
- Complete, submit and co-ordinate necessary applications for events (e.g. raffle licenses)
- Prepare concise and comprehensive briefing documents on events
- Liaise with box office for all ticketing issues
- Participate actively as a member of the Development team
- Handle general inquiries
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
In addition to the regular hours, occasional weekend and evening work will be required.
- Two or more years relevant work experience combined with a university degree or related college program
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to work effectively with donors, community members, businesses, volunteers, and staff
- Strong overall administrative skills
- Highly detail-oriented and organized individual
- A motivated self-starter
- Good intuition and problem-solving skills
- Strong listening skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and donor database software: Tessitura
- Willingness to learn and take on extra responsibilities as appropriate
- Ability to work successfully under pressure
- Flexibility and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Arts background would be considered an asset but is not mandatory
ABOUT THE CANADIAN OPERA COMPANY
Based in Toronto, the Canadian Opera Company is the largest producer of opera in Canada and one of the largest in North America. The COC enjoys a loyal audience support-base and one of the highest attendance and subscription rates in North America. Under its leadership team of General Director Alexander Neef and Music Director Johannes Debus, the COC is increasingly capturing the opera world’s attention. The COC maintains its international reputation for artistic excellence and creative innovation by creating new productions within its diverse repertoire, collaborating with leading opera companies and festivals, and attracting the world’s foremost Canadian and international artists. The COC performs in its own opera house, the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, hailed internationally as one of the finest in the world. Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects, the Four Seasons Centre opened in 2006. For more information on the COC, visit coc.ca.
Interested persons are invited to submit their resume and cover letter via e-mail or mail, stating salary expectations, no later than 9pm EST, Monday, May 8, 2017 to:
Manager, Human Resources
Canadian Opera Company
227 Front St. E. Toronto, ON M5A 1E8
Submit application with the subject line: “[your name], Senior Development Officer, Special Events”.
Only applications received by 9pm EST, Monday, May 8, 2017 will be considered. The Canadian Opera Company thanks, in advance, all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
The COC is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Date Posted: April 11, 2017