Oakville & Milton Humane Society
Founded in 1936, the Oakville & Milton Humane Society (OMHS) began when a group of concerned citizens decided that lost and abandoned animals needed some place to go where they could be safe from the elements. By 1939, they were not only helping lost or abandoned animals, but were also handling cruelty complaints. Today, the shelter has grown to protecting and caring for animals in crisis and educating the next generation on the importance of responsible pet ownership, respect of animals and others. Its mission is to Protect and Care and Educate.
OMHS believes all lives have value and deserve a chance to thrive. As a donor-funded organization, OMHS is a small shelter with a big heart - and a big vision for an even better future for the animals and residents of Oakville and Milton.
The Shelter has a diverse fund development program and team. It is looking for one more key person to fill the role of Major Gifts Manager.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Major Gifts Manager will be responsible for the building and maintaining of donor relationships. As an integral part of the Fund Development Team, work towards sustaining the Oakville & Milton Humane Society’s (OMHS) services and programs by raising funds from prospective donors. Leads and grows the relatively new major gifts program. The successful candidate embodies the OMHS mission and vision and is excited to follow the guiding principles. Please visit http://omhs.ca/ for additional information.
Skills, Experience & Knowledge:
• Minimum 5 – 7 years of demonstrated success in fund raising in a non-profit organization
• Strong track record of a minimum of 2 – 3 years of experience cultivating and soliciting gifts of $10,000 and greater.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships & strong networking skills
• Experience working in a like-sized organization – prefers a small fundraising shop environment
• Brings a maturity and resilience and is collaborative – team oriented
• Demonstrated written & oral communication with the ability to professionally position OMHS’s case to potential donors
• Demonstrated knowledge/proficiency in fund raising databases such as Blackbaud CRM, Raiser’s Edge
• Operation of a motor vehicle as part of the position’s duties is required, as is a valid driver’s license
• Must provide a clear motor vehicle Abstract and a standard Background Vulnerability Police Check
• Education: University / College
• Knowledge of companion animal welfare, sheltering and rescue work is an asset
Why consider this opportunity?
- Strong long-tenured Executive Director since 2012 who brings an excellent understanding of fundraising, is action oriented and is keen to continue to develop success in this arena.
- Opportunity to gain valuable capital campaign experience.
- Opportunity to build a Major Gifts program from scratch and build on the successful annual program.
- Excellent opportunity for someone living in Oakville, Milton, Mississauga or Burlington area.
- Since this position is a member of the Management Team, great opportunity for one who is looking to be part of the leadership track.
This search is being conducted on behalf of the Oakville & Milton Humane Society by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting non-profit & charitable professionals for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
For additional information, please reach out to Cynthia Armour, Senior Search Consultant at 416,977.2913 or 1.705.799.0636. We request all applications be submitted online only.
To submit your resume, please visit: http://jobs.crawfordconnect.com/jobdescription.asp?WebJobPostingsID=4 Select the 'Apply' button to upload your resume and cover letter (in one document) by June 5, 2017. (For technical issues, please contact email@example.com.)
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Commitment to Diversity and Accessibility:
OMHS is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including men, women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and Aboriginal peoples.
OMHS is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining OMHS. Given the volume of applications received, we request that you do not follow up your application with a phone call. We will contact only those candidates selected for an interview and thank you for your understanding.