Posted On: 2017-07-11
Closing On: 2017-07-24
Location: GTA, ON
Employment Type: Part-Time
The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC) is seeking the services of a half-time Fundraising Consultant to help build and execute a fundraising program for the Society. Working with the Executive Director, and collaborating with all members of the staff and volunteer team, this contractor will create an inspiring and results-focused philanthropy program.
About the RASC:
Since 1868, the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada has been Canada’s leading astronomy organization. Membership is over 5,000, made up of amateurs, educators, and professionals of all ages. Our 29 branches or “centres” offer both inreach and outreach programming. Inreach education teaches members the basics of finding their way around the night sky, using binoculars and telescopes and advanced methods of observing and astrophotography. Public outreach includes lectures which are open and free to the public, and “star parties” where members set up telescopes at night for members of the public to get clear views of the Moon, the planets and other objects in the night sky. Some centres offer astronomy courses to the public and run nightly programs for youth groups (Cubs, Brownies, Guides and Scouts) or school groups. Many centres partner with local museums, science centres or planetaria.
- Post-secondary education; and
- CFRE designation preferred.
- Minimum of three years fundraising experience, including management of volunteers;
- Demonstrated ability to build new and long-term relationships with prospects, donors and volunteers; and
- Proven experience soliciting and closing large gifts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Comfort and excitement in making asks and building donor relationships;
- Ability to work strategically and independently;
- Creative and resourceful;
- Exceptional donor, sponsor, volunteer and prospect relationship-building skills;
- Passion for our cause; and
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
Lead the design and implementation of a fundraising plan;
- Identifies volunteer roles, recruits and organizes volunteers for fundraising activities;
- Secure and coordinate sponsorship (in kind and cash);
- Tracks monthly progress toward fundraising goals;
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate special events;
- Implement a strategy for stewarding existing donors and event participants;
- Research and cultivate new high-level supporters;
- Leverage special events for fundraising purposes; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
Applications are due by 5pm EST on July 24th. Please send your resume, along with a cover letter and salary expectations, to Leah Eustace at RASC@yourbluecanoe.ca