Posted On: 2017-07-11
Closing On: 2017-07-25
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Toronto, ON
Posting Date: July 11th, 2017
Are you an influential communicator? Someone who enjoys building lasting relationships? Seeking to make a difference in the not-for-profit world and in people’s lives? Do you want to work for an amazing cause at a successful national charity?
If so, we’d love to hear from you!
Cystic Fibrosis Canada (CFC) is a national charitable not-for-profit corporation established in 1960, and is one of the world’s top three charitable organizations committed to finding a cure for cystic fibrosis (CF). As an internationally recognized leader in funding innovation and clinical care, we invest more in life-saving CF research and care than any other non-governmental agency in Canada.
As the Government Relations & Advocacy Coordinator you will be responsible for supporting the execution of CFCs strategic direction specific to influencing public policyand resource allocations through advocacy by engaging the community. You will work with internal and external stakeholders , to improve the lives and livelihoods of Canadians who live with CF, advocating for equitable access to treatments and medicines. In this role you will report directly to the Manager, Government Relations & Advocacy and serve as a support contact for all issues involving government relations.
Qualifications & Skills:
- University degree and/or college diploma in public policy, public administration, political science or humanities
- 2-3 years’ experience in government relations, advocacy and public policy development
- Experience working with volunteers in the charitable healthcare sector
- Some experience working with all levels of government, from an advocacy and/or community engagement perspective
- Previous exposure to advocacy initiatives with specific focus on healthcare and drug access issues
- Knowledge of political and bureaucratic government structures, for purposes of effective government relations and advocacy
- Knowledge of the Canadian, provincial, and territorial healthcare systems
- Knowledge of Canadian drug approval and reimbursement processes
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate legislative receptions and other key awareness events, ensuring maximum exposure
- Experience writing content for web based applications (i.e social media ) and traditional media (i.e. newsletters)
- Good communicator and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- English/French bilingualism an asset
- Support the development and implementation of CFC’s government relations and advocacy programs, including the planning and delivery of volunteer recruitment, training, engagement and support activities;
- Conduct annual review and update report card on provincial and federal reimbursement of CF medications and supplements;
- Assist in the development of reports, briefings, and presentations on a range of topics pertaining to health policy, pharmaceutical regulatory issues and the reimbursement of medicines at a pan-Canadian level for internal and external audiences;
- Advise Manager, Government Relations and Advocacy on issues arising from social and traditional media monitoring on all matters specific to health policy and access to drugs and therapies; to be done in collaboration with Associate, Digital Marketing and Coordinator, Corporate Communications;
- Provide support in the development and dissemination of surveys and other research tools to inform the development of patient input submissions regarding access to medicines, respecting time sensitivity;
- Where required, support the monitoring and initiation of individual jurisdictional initiatives with regard to the healthcare system;
- Organize legislative and parliamentary lobbying days and receptions and coordinate meetings with government officials;
- Assist in the development of responses to and key messages on issues and queries received from the CF community and the broader public, as required;
- Serve as secretariat to the Policy Advisory Panel on Access to Medicines and follow up on all issues;
- Serve as secretariat to the Adult CF Advisory Committee and follow up on all issues;
- Manage and maintain annual/semi-annual lobbyist registration activities;
- As required, support the Manager, Government Relations and Advocacy on project teams specific to advocacy, communications, quality improvement in clinical care and advancing research;
- Write blog, social media and web content as required; and
- Support Manager, Government Relations and Advocacy in development and execution of annual plan.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please indicate “Coordinator, Government Relations & Advocacy” in your subject line, and include your salary expectations.
*Note: All job postings will be open a minimum 5 business days from the date of posting.
While, we wish to acknowledge all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Cystic Fibrosis Canada is committed to making the recruitment process accessible to all candidates. Accommodations for disabilities are available upon request.
For additional information on our values (Excellence, Accountability, Caring & Teamwork), Cystic Fibrosis Canada and the courageous fight being waged against this disease, please visit www.cysticfibrosis.ca.