Posted On: 2017-07-25
Closing On: 2017-08-28
Location: Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Applications are invited for the position of Development Officer in the Foundation and Alumni Relations department. This is a permanent, full time 35 hour per week position.
The Foundation & Alumni Relations department is responsible for building and maintaining mutually-beneficial relationships with donors, prospective supporters, and alumni.
Reporting to the Director, Development, the Development Officer plays a key role in philanthropic fundraising activities to achieve the goals in the annual Business Plans for Niagara College and the Niagara College Foundation.
This Development Officer is responsible for philanthropic fundraising activities to support College priorities including: campus redevelopment and/or expansion initiatives, funding for instructional equipment and learning resources, and to provide scholarships, bursaries, and study/work abroad opportunities for students.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Meet financial targets through donations, often with pledges over multiple years
- Co-ordinate a portfolio of prospects and donors: business and industry, individuals and families, and organizations
- Identify prospects and research interest, ability and linkage to Niagara College
- Prepare proposals, correspondence, gift agreements, and other materials based on the approved case for support
- Conduct face-to-face meetings to cultivate prospects and secure donations
- Research and write applications for granting foundations
- Work with other staff to ensure appropriate recognition and stewardship activities
- 3 year diploma or degree in fundraising, communication, business, marketing or public relations, or a combination of experience and education
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) professional designation (or in progress) an asset
- Exposure to professional associations, such as the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP)
- A minimum of 3 years progressive career experience in philanthropy and fundraising
- Familiar with trends in the sector, and knowledge of capital campaigns, major gifts and grantsmanship
- Proven track record in personally soliciting and closing major gifts of $5,000 or more from individuals, businesses and organizations
- Ability to operate at a highly professional level with a broad range of contacts, with exceptional donor relationship skills
- Natural relationship builder with exceptional networking, listening and negotiating skills, who has the ability to build trust and elicit confidence with prospects, donors, alumni and staff
- Discretion and superior judgment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including experience in presenting to large and small groups
- Experience with prospect research tools and techniques
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License and personal vehicle available for use at work.
- Familiar with Canada Revenue Agency guidelines and the Federal Income Tax Act regarding charitable donations and sponsorship
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
- Familiar with Raiser's Edge fundraising software
- Desktop publishing skills an asset
A Job Fact Sheet is available for review in Human Resources during the posting period, please contact Nathanial Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of the JFS.
If selected for an interview, candidates must present proof of education (ie: original transcripts/credentials). Note: Credentials obtained outside of Canada require an evaluation to determine the Canadian educational equivalence. This evaluation must support the educational requirements for the position as a condition of employment. For further information, visit: World Education Services ( http://www.wes.org/ca/ ).
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Niagara College is committed to workplace diversity and provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please contact the Recruitment Consultant.