Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing & Communications, the Special Events Officer will contribute to the ongoing success of Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation by identifying, cultivating, soliciting sponsors and managing sponsor relationships, planning and managing the coordination and execution of all signature events including administration and logistics.
The Special Events Officer plays a critical role in supporting the fundraising goals and objectives associated with the signature event portfolio. This position is responsible for all the logistical, financial and administrative aspects of some internal events and all signature events. The events portfolio currently includes four signature events; however, this is always subject to change.
The Special Events Officer will be a dedicated and energetic individual who welcomes challenges and is able to react quickly and professionally to situation. The ideal candidate is comfortable actively soliciting sponsorship and other support to enable event success.
- In conjunction with the Vice President, Marketing and Communications, plan and execute all signature events
- Manage the logistical elements for all events including but not limited to: working with suppliers, venues, sponsors and donors; coordinating any applications or license requests; managing on site details during events; ensuring on-site credit card and payment processing
- Maintain event project plans and critical paths
- Maintain project and financial tracking for each event
- Achieve annual revenue targets for each event by maximizing event participation, gift in kind donations and sponsorship opportunities
- Recruit and manage volunteer participation
- Solicit sponsors for all events including but not limited to event and gift-in-kind sponsors
- Solicit businesses to secure prizing as appropriate for signature events
- List management
- Maintain Raisers Edge database on sponsorship and gift solicitations
- Produce invoices, track payments and payment follow-up with all event sponsors
- Undertake post-event follow-up including supplier payment, sponsor package production and assembly and event analysis
- Manage communication and stewardship with event sponsors and supporters
- Coordinate all event planning meetings, agenda and minutes
- Work with Raisers Edge database to ensure accurate, efficient data entry of donor/participant information, proposals and actions
- Analyze all data associated with each event for reporting and marketing purposes
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team on event marketing plan(s) including all print and electronic materials
- Minimum 5 years Major Event Experience, preferably fundraising events
- College or University degree or equivalent
- Exceptional organizational, project management and event planning skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills when interacting with event attendees, community members, vendors, sponsors, etc
- Strong level of professionalism and composure
- Comfortable soliciting community support and sponsorship
- Must be self-disciplined and have the ability to work without direct supervision, set priorities and balance the demands of multiple tasks in a demanding environment
- Strong Microsoft Office skills and ideally experience working with databases and fundraising software such as Raiser’s Edge and TeamRaiser
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
*Due to the nature and scope of this position, some evening and weekend work will be required. A valid driver’s license and motor vehicle are also required. This job is based in Hamilton, Ontario.
Background on Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation
Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is a registered charitable organization raising funds in support of Hamilton General Hospital, Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital, McMaster University Medical Centre, St. Peter’s Hospital and all of their associated programs. This includes Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre and the Regional Rehabilitation Centre.
As an essential partner in the health care journey, The Foundation provides funding for leading-edge equipment and patient amenities, innovative research initiatives, redevelopment of patient care spaces, and the education and training of health care providers. The Foundation is focused on enabling outstanding patient care at Hamilton Health Sciences through its goal of Health Care, Transformed.
As Ontario’s most comprehensive hospital system, Hamilton Health Sciences provides care for the full spectrum of life’s journey from pre-natal to palliative care. Serving a region of 2.3 million residents in Hamilton and throughout south-central Ontario, Hamilton Health Sciences is the regional and provincial leader in many specialized acute and chronic care programs including pediatrics, pediatric mental health, cancer, cardiac, stroke, burn, trauma, neurosurgery, high-risk obstetrics, orthopedics, geriatrics and rehabilitation services.
Please submit a cover letter, including salary expectations, and resume no later than September 1, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org with Special Events in the subject line.