Daily Bread Food Bank is one of Toronto’s most recognized non-profit, charitable organizations and is dedicated to ending poverty and hunger in our communities. Daily Bread Food Bank solicits and distributes food to individuals and families in immediate need of assistance through a network of over 140 member agencies.
Reporting to: Manager, Community Partnerships & Corporate Engagement
Location: 191 New Toronto Street, Toronto, ON M8V 2E7
Term: 4 months
Interviews will take place August 22, 23, 24. A start date of September 18 is preferred.
The Development Assistant plays an essential role in the Community and Corporate Team in ensuring donor satisfaction and retention through appropriate and timely customer service. The Development Assistant coordinates support for our “champions” (in the community who support Daily Bread through third party (peer-to-peer) food/fundraising initiatives.
Specific Responsibilities (but not limited to…)
- In a fast-paced office setting, the assistant provides exceptional customer service support to community third-party organizers (peer-to-peer) who raise both food and fundraisers
- Coordinates the delivery of food bins and food pick-ups in a timely manner. Captures donor contact & logistical information for bookings and donor records.
- Follows Daily Bread’s guidelines, policies and procedure for third party fundraising. Ensures Daily Bread’s brand in maintained in all third party collateral.
- Provides trouble-shooting support for online fundraising as required.
- Team lead in all food drive and event inquiries. Actively assists in follow-up calls and emails to donors/requests to ensure that all third party supporters are registered officially and post-event ensures all food/fundraising efforts have been received by Daily Bread in a timely manner.
- Is proactive in maintaining up to date contact information in records and donor files in Raiser’s Edge
- Supports the production and implementation of all elements of the community fundraising program including appeals, appreciation events and other initiatives as part of annual plans
- Assists with special events, special projects and agency activities as assigned
- Assists with onsite corporate tours and walk in community based donations
- Receives food drive walk in donations and follows cash handling protocols
- Reviews recent food donations received and properly codes donations for Raiser Edge importing as per already established schedule
- Reviews, prepares & personalizes acknowledgements and food drive outgoing mail
- Contacts past supporters & prospects by phone to renew support of food/fundraising drive.
- Discuss ideas and options in which organizations can promote their food drive and help motivate their colleagues.
- Be able to answer basic questions that may be asked about general operations, or work that Daily Bread does in the community. Uses sound judgement to be able to properly direct questions to the appropriate person
- Reports to and consults with the Manager, Community Partnerships & Corporate Engagement to ensure smooth coordination of the community fundraising program.
- Works closely with other team members; Corporate Engagement Officer & Events Officer on day-to-day items and third-party event (peer-to-peer) coordination & support.
- Actively engages with donor and Daily Bread’s third-party supporters (peer-to-peer) who food/fundraise
- Liaises directly with the Transportation Department; Manager & Assistant on all scheduling issues and provides accurate information for bookings
- Lead in “first” interaction with donors, potential donors and donor requests
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE (or equivalent)
- Two years of experience in a fundraising organization with exposure to donor recognition best practices
- Must have customer service experience in a professional office environment
- Must have some knowledge with fundraising software (Raisers’ Edge and Convio Team Raiser or similar software)
- Secondary School Graduation Diploma
- Superior customer service and interpersonal skills, focused on building positive relationships with donors and team members
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) in English, particularly for phone and email (individual must be comfortable speaking on the phone)
- Superior organizational, planning and time management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to problem-solve and use judgement and discretion
- High level of accuracy
- Strong computer skills with experience in MS Office and internet searching
- Requires extended uninterrupted periods at a desktop station or on the phone
- 35 hours per week with flexibility to work overtime or on evenings/weekends, holidays as needed
- High volume of calls and donors requests during the season
- G license and access to a vehicle is preferred
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, forward a covering letter stating why you are suitable for the role along with your résumé by Monday, August 21, 2017 to email@example.com
Daily Bread Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of designated groups.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in another format, please e-mail a request to human resources.
Daily Bread Food Bank thanks all individuals who apply for this position and will only contact candidates who are selected for an interview.