Posted On: 2017-08-10
Closing On: 2017-08-25
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: October 2017
Employment Type: Full-Time
The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is one of the World's largest and most respected independent conservation organizations. WWF has a global network active in over 100 countries with almost 5 million supporters.
WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the earth's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
WWF-Canada seeks to hire a dedicated Communications Specialist to assist our Development teams in growing our revenue to support ambitious conservation goals at Canada’s largest international conservation organization. You will work in concert with our Conservation teams and in close collaboration with our Communications team to develop and craft compelling fundraising communications, including proposals, stewardship reports and presentation materials. Your deep understanding of science combined with technical writing skills and a donor-centric approach will help us steward relationships and reach our fundraising targets. The successful candidate will have exceptionally strong writing and research skills, thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment, be a team player with a strong work ethic, and have the drive to help save the planet.
Creation of Proposals, Presentations and Project Briefs
- Work closely with our Conservation teams to author, design and edit compelling and articulate proposals, presentations and project briefs on behalf of the Development teams for prospects, partners and donors.
- Collaborate with donor/partner managers, Conservation teams and organizational leaders to develop proposal strategies.
- Manage the critical path for proposal deadlines, including the vetting and review process and working with external vendors, to ensure the accuracy, clarity and alignment of all information presented.
Stewardship Report Preparation
- With input from the Conservation teams, ensure the creation of accurate, articulate and inspiring partner and donor stewardship reports. This includes managing the creation and maintenance of stewardship report templates for key programs and designing/developing/overseeing customized reports for high-level donors and partners.
- Manage annual stewardship report cycles and critical paths for deadlines.
Research and Relationships
- Complete research for the various written materials produced, which includes interviewing key conservation and program staff as well as our donors and partners.
- Work in close collaboration with the Communications team to ensure that all materials align with and build on the organization’s overall communications strategy.
- Build constructive and purposeful relationships with WWF staff, including senior staff, to ensure that needed information is provided on time.
- Act as an ambassador for the Development team by helping to deepen understanding of philanthropy and stewardship amongst our WWF colleagues.
What We Are Looking For:
- University or college degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Affairs or other related discipline. Educational grounding in science is an asset.
- At least 5 years of professional writing experience (fundraising, government grant proposal composition, journalism, technical writing, public relations etc.)
- Strong communications, writing, research and design skills (print and digital).
- Experience in knowledge translation, including ability to work with scientists and understand policy issues. Understanding of corporate CSR and business sustainability trends and impact measurement approaches essential.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Ability to produce, edit and proof-read documents and presentations. Multi-media experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated interest in, environmental conservation issues.
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information into concise, compelling and attractive proposals, reports or presentations.
- A passion for detail, deadlines and donors!
- Proficient in a broad range of software applications, including MS Word, Adobe Creative Suite, PowerPoint, Excel and Raiser’s Edge.
- Ability to work on a multitude of projects at the same time without comprising quality or efficiency.
- A strong team player.
This is a full-time position based out of the Toronto office.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, you may submit your application:
Click HERE to submit your cover letter and resume (as one document).
Attn: Human Resources Department
410 Adelaide Street West, Suite 400
If you are submitting an application via direct mail, please include your answers to the following questions:
- Apart from its mission, what do you feel makes WWF-Canada an employer of choice?
- Are you legally eligible to work in Canada?
- What are your salary expectations?
- How flexible are your salary expectations?
- When are you available to start?
- Where did you see this job posting?
Deadline to Apply:
Please ensure that your application is receiving on or before: August 25, 2017, 5pm EST.
Commitment to Diversity and Accessibility:
WWF-Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and aboriginal peoples.
WWF-Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Representative in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining WWF-Canada. Given the volume of applications received, we request that you do not follow up your application with a phone call. We will contact only those candidates selected for interviews and thank you for your understanding.