Posted On: 2017-08-28
Closing On: 2017-09-29
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: October 1, 2017
Employment Type: Full-Time
Strategic Communications Officer
Michael Garron Hospital Foundation is the fundraising entity to Michael Garron Hospital, part of the Toronto East Health Network - proudly serving the community since 1929.
A large, urban, full-service community teaching hospital, providing comprehensive care to a diverse population of 400,000, the hospital provides a full range of programs and services. Annually we admit 20,000 acute care inpatients, deliver 3,500 babies, have over 70,000 emergency visits and provide service to over 200,000 outpatients. This is accomplished with the help of 2,400 employees, 440 physicians and midwives and over 500 volunteers.
We offer an industry leading pension plan, fitness classes, the Perkopolis Discount Program, recognition awards and appreciation events, tuition assistance and a competitive salary and benefits package. As the very first hospital to make the "Best Workplaces in Canada" list from the Great Place to Work Institute, we take pride in offering an inspiring work environment to our dedicated team.
Michael Garron Hospital Foundation is seeking a persuasive storyteller to join our team as the Strategic Communications Officer. Reporting to the Director, Communications and Donor Stewardship, the Strategic Communications Officer is responsible for the creation of donor-centered communications to support the Foundation’s ambitious fundraising goals, including customized major gift proposals and impact reports, marketing documents, newsletter articles, website copy, social media content, and executive speaking notes. The ideal candidate is curious, a creative thinker, and a solid writer with a background in journalism, editorial, or corporate communications, with experience in a fundraising or health-care environment as an asset. The Strategic Communications Officer will work closely with hospital contacts and the fundraising team to craft narratives to inspire the community to support Michael Garron Hospital.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop high-impact major gift proposals, impact reports, and marketing documents
- Liaise with Hospital stakeholders to gather information on fundraising priorities for development and other Foundation communications
- Collaborate with Foundation team members to build and manage the Foundation content library and communications calendar
- Create content for digital channels including the Foundation e-newsletter, website, and social media channels
- Create and contribute to Foundation corporate communications, including key messages, executive speaking notes, and the annual report
- Provide guidance, editing support, and other assistance to Foundation team members on communications best practices
- Contribute to other projects as needed, including direct marketing, events, and stewardship communications
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree, preferably in journalism, communications, or a related field
- 3-5 years’ experience in journalism, publishing, marketing, corporate communications, or a related field, with experience in a fundraising and/or health care environment an asset
- Ability to translate complex, scientific concepts into language easily understandable by the general public
- Superior interviewing and storytelling skills
- Understanding of Canadian Press style guide
- Experience with social media platforms including Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Wordpress an asset
- Experience with photography and video production an asset
- Superior time-management skills with the ability to manage competing priorities
- High level of professionalism and sense of diplomacy with the ability to interact with senior-level Hospital personnel, board members, and donors
The Advantages of Working at MGH
- Competitive Compensation
- Comprehensive Benefits
- Tuition Assistance
- Patient-focused Care
- Shared Governance
- Professional Practice Development
- Open Communication Practices
- New Graduate Opportunities
Please submit a covering letter and resume to Human Resources by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Packages will be reviewed as received, therefore early applications are encouraged. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.