For over 30 years, Hope Air has been providing free flights for Canadians who are in financial need and must travel for healthcare. We are now seeking a seasoned and collaborative fundraising and marketing professional to join our team in the role of Vice President, Development. This is an exciting opportunity to build on a base of steadily increasing revenues and expand our fundraising and marketing into new areas.
In this newly created position, the Vice President, Development will take an active role in leading our continued growth in the areas of corporate partnerships and third-party events, and further develop our individual giving programs. The Vice President, Development will also oversee all marketing and communications programs, including leveraging the recently launched rebranding and website.
Based at our mid-town Toronto office, the Vice President, Development will lead a team of five and report directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
About Hope Air
Unequal access to healthcare is a real issue in Canada, but it is an issue that is not known by most Canadians. Many of us live in urban centres, where a trip to a specialist appointment means a drive across town. But in small and rural communities, the long distance to get to a specialist’s office is an obstacle faced by many because of the length of travel, and the costs they incur along the way – people can face car or bus rides of more than 12 hours each way, and the costs of hotel stays, gas, rest stops, and missed time at work add up quickly.
In 1986, Hope Air – then called Mission Air Transportation Network – was co-founded by two women, Joan Rogers and Jinnie Bradshaw, who were inspired to start the charity after witnessing the impact of long-distance travel on cancer care patients at the Princess Margaret Hospital.
A simple, yet vital solution to the gap experienced by so many families across Canada was created and in that first year, the charity arranged 56 flights. Since then, Hope Air has arranged more than 118,000 free flights for low-income Canadians travelling to vital medical care far from home. Hope Air serves those who need to travel to appointments for a diagnosis, treatment or surgery, and those who are released from the hospital. One in five of our flights are for cancer patients. Without Hope Air, our research has shown that 28% of patients would cancel, or postpone their medical appointment, and 21% would have to drive or bus more than eight hours each way to their appointment.
We have three key methods of obtaining the flights we provide to our patients free of charge:
- Hope Air purchases airfare on commercial airlines with the generous support of our donors. Approximately 70% of Hope Air’s flights are purchased with donated funds.
- Hope Air has many incredible airline partners who donate seats on their flights. We are proud to be supported by airlines that show compassion to our patients and truly understand how a flight can help make a difficult journey a little easier.
- Hope Air is proud to have the support of volunteer pilots who use their personal aircraft to fly patients to their appointments. For more information, please visit: https://www.hopeair.ca/How-To-Help/Volunteer/Volunteer-Pilot-Program
Volunteers who give their time in our office, as pilots, board members and at special events are the backbone of Hope Air with over 5,000 hours donated by volunteers last year alone. 2016 was a landmark year for Hope Air – we celebrated our 30th anniversary, raised funds to support our important cause, established new partnerships and means of assisting our clients, and exceeded the record for most flights arranged in a single year with 11,488 flights.
Development and Marketing at Hope Air
Hope Air is proud to have the support of a diverse group of donors, from our airline partners, to corporations and foundations, to compassionate individuals. Hope Air cannot exist without the generous support of our donors, partners and volunteers.
Over the past ten years, Hope Air has been able to consistently increase revenues, moving from just under $500,000 raised in 2006, to over $3.3 million in 2016. We have ambitious goals of continuing that trajectory, and are aiming to raise the bar to $6 million annually within the next four years by increasing our corporate partnerships and third-party special events, and focusing on aggressively expanding our individual giving program. Eighty-eight cents of every dollar raised goes directly to supporting our clients.
Hope Air has just rebranded and launched a new website, and we will be embarking on a targeted campaign to increase awareness among key stakeholder groups this fall.
For more information on our supporters and special program partners, please visit:
An accomplished fundraising generalist with a diverse base of skills and expertise, the ideal candidate’s background will reflect demonstrated success in corporate development, complemented by a high-level strategic understanding of best practices of third-party events and individual giving programs. Passionate about development, the new incumbent will be energized by the opportunity to build new fundraising programs including direct mail, major gifts and planned giving. The Vice President, Development will lead by example by holding a portfolio of prospects and spending a significant amount of time interfacing directly with donors and supporters.
With solid, hands-on experience on both the fundraising and marketing sides of the portfolio, the successful candidate will combine strategic insight with flexible, innovative and creative thinking. The new incumbent will analyze, prioritize and maximize emerging fundraising and marketing opportunities by leveraging the mandate of our organization and available resources. The Vice President will operationalize and evaluate new marketing and development programs and will clearly communicate goals, plans, expectancies, and impact to all stakeholders in an open, transparent and compelling manner.
Keeping all team members focused and accountable, the ideal candidate will mentor and coach colleagues to achieve fundraising and marketing goals. Adept at identifying and nurturing potential, the Vice President will encourage, motivate and inspire the success of their dedicated and professional team.
Warm, open and engaging, the successful candidate will possess superb communication and listening skills, and be as comfortable presenting in a boardroom as interacting with volunteers and supporters from all areas of the country. The successful candidate will be kind and respectful, building authentic relationships to encourage and inspire support for Hope Air, resulting in a direct and immediate impact on children and families in remote and rural communities across the country.
Strategy and Planning
- Work with the CEO to develop and execute short-term and long-term goals for the development portfolio, ensuring increased revenue and awareness year-over-year.
- Collaborate with CEO, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders to identify opportunities for growth.
- Develop, implement, and manage all aspects of the fundraising strategy for Hope Air including: corporate giving, third party events and individual giving (major and planned gifts).
- Provide strategic and operational leadership to ensure the effective identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of all donors and partners.
- Manage a portfolio of stakeholders (prospects, donors and partners) and personally conduct cultivation visits, solicitation calls and stewardship activities.
- Provide guidance and direction for the management of third party events.
- Ensure consistent, timely and appropriate activities for stewardship purposes.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop and oversee the implementation of strategic communication and marketing plans for Hope Air, including: internal and external communications, web site and social media.
- Act as a key ambassador and spokesperson at events, including presenting to groups to both increase awareness and solicit funds.
- Ensure brand standards are met in all organization and stakeholder communications.
- Supervise production of marketing and communication materials.
- Work with the CEO to set annual Development and Marketing budgets.
- Ensure data integrity with Salesforce, including timely entry of donor information and receipting of donations.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for all areas of the Development portfolio.
- Provide motivation, coaching, training, performance management, and development opportunities to all direct reports. This includes providing the necessary tools and resources to do their job.
- Mentor, guide and coach Development staff who have direct reports.
- Promote an environment that encourages initiative, continuous improvement and learning.
- Ensure all Development volunteers are well trained, utilized and recognized.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Hope Air’s mandate.
- Proven ability to think strategically; see ahead and anticipate future opportunities and needs; effectively create both long term and annual plans.
- Experience leading a team and managing both fundraising and marketing portfolios.
- Proactively build and maintain relationships inside and outside of the organization.
- Enthusiasm in asking for and securing financial support and in-kind gifts in support of Hope Air.
- Proven ability to create and deliver communication and messaging that resonates with target prospects.
- Demonstrate skill as both a team player and a team-maker.
- Clearly assign responsibilities and set objectives; monitors progress and results.
- Provide timely feedback, guidance and support to enhance current performance and develop skills for future challenges.
- Work collaboratively to identify areas for growth and set specific development goals, and create opportunities to broaden staff capabilities.
- Treat others with dignity, respect and fairness and show consistency in words and actions; recognize the different styles and needs of others.
- Understand that action leads to success and is able to balance the need for gathering data and insight with the need to create and execute a plan.
- Take accountability for personal and team results.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the charitable sector.
Experience and Training
- Leadership, significant expertise and demonstrated success in fundraising.
- Solid experience in marketing and communications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of initiative, problem solving and decision making with the ability to plan, coordinate, and execute development strategy.
- Maturity of judgment, sensitivity, and confidentiality.
- Strong time management skills and able to prioritize.
- Occasional national travel; driver’s license and access to a vehicle required.
- Degree or diploma in a relevant discipline; CFRE designation an asset.
- Proficient in the Microsoft suite of products; Salesforce experience an asset.
For More Information
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Hope Air. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Sandra Taylor, Senior Consultant by phone at 416-340-9710 ext. 1032 or by email at email@example.com.
Please send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by October 5, 2017. All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
- History (Timeline): https://www.hopeair.ca/About/Our-History
- Hope Air’s Co-Founders: https://www.hopeair.ca/About/Our-Co-Founders
- Board of Directors: https://www.hopeair.ca/About/Our-Board
- Patrons of Hope Air: https://www.hopeair.ca/About/Our-Patrons
- Annual Report and Financial Statements: https://www.hopeair.ca/AnnualReportsFinancialStatements
- Newsletter – Profiles of Hope: https://www.hopeair.ca/News-Media/Newsletters