Posted On: 2017-09-12
Closing On: 2017-10-13
Location: Markham, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reports to: CEO
Team Size: 26, Four Direct Reports:
- Director, Major & Planned Gifts
- Director, Strategic Communications
- Director, Marketing
- Marketing Coordinator
Location: 1200 Dennison Street, Markham ON
Is this you?
Is leading and growing the development and communications efforts of a leading International Humanitarian agency a passionate priority for you?
Are you an experienced and proven leader with outstanding business acumen whose team thrives under your leadership? Are you genuine and articulate, connected, an engaging presenter, hard worker and resilient? Do you take pride in challenging yourself and your team to set stretch revenue goals and work to exceed them? Are you a “great leader of talent with high emotional intelligence, analytical and strategic” is how others would describe you?
Do you enjoy working with senior volunteers and applying the creativity and tenacity to coach your team on how to work with a broad spectrum of donors across their life cycle and own the ‘accountability’ and associated financial target? If this sounds like you, please read on….
Christian Children's Fund of Canada (CCFC) is an international development organization which helps communities be safer and healthier places for children to grow and develop.
CCFC is going through a pivotal time in their over fifty-year history. In April 2017, a new Chief Executive Officer was appointed by the Board and given a strong mandate to affirm the Mission and to align the implementation of this Mission toward a growth trajectory. Developing and executing both a multi-year strategy and a new Brand for CCFC, within a culture of collaboration, CCFC is on a path to achieve the desired results and this position will play a key role in developing and executing the strategy which is premised on unleashing the greatest opportunities to:
- Deliver on the strategic priorities of the five ‘’I’s”: Income, Influence, Impact, Innovation and Improvement
- Execute the implementation of the new Brand
- Rediscover a renewed Organizational Culture
The strategy formation process has unleashed a deep desire to embrace a culture which will seek to forge shared goals, cross-functional collaboration and to ignite innovative practices.
This position will be a key part of the new paradigm at CCFC.
CCFC is unique in International Development in that they are independent of a ‘federation’. They are fortunate to work side-by-side with a global team of trusted and proven colleagues emphasizing child-centred community development.
Over the last seven years, CCFC has engaged in a transition that has seen the more effective implementation of a ‘results based management’ model that has guided the establishment of key performance indicators; identified new revenue streams with an emphasis on grant funding; introduced a higher performing culture through performance management and development initiatives; increased the bench strength in Country Offices (Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Nicaragua and Paraguay); and built a culture of exemplary program delivery that demonstrates ‘social impact’.
CCFC works directly with their local partners to empower and enable communities to improve access to primary healthcare, nutritious food and clean water; eliminate barriers to education; create new sources of income; and empower local community groups to lead their own positive change. Positive change for children is very important, and they follow a life-stage approach for program delivery. They also engage in disaster preparedness and response.
“We dream of a world where every child has a voice and the ability to achieve their full potential.”
ChildFund Alliance Member www.childfundalliance.org:
CCFC is a member of the ChildFund Alliance www.childfundalliance.org, a global network of child-centred development organisations working in developing communities around the world to create opportunities for children living in poverty. The mission of each ChildFund Alliance member has always been to create long-term, sustainable, community-based solutions to development problems affecting children and their families.
While each member organisation retains its own distinct national identity and governance by national boards, collectively, the ChildFund Alliance is a voice for children and an instrument for maintaining worldwide standards of performance, efficiency and accountability. The Alliance creates opportunities for members to engage in global advocacy initiatives impacting children, pooled resources and collaborative activities, including programs at the regional level and shared fundraising activities.
Alliance members believe in the open exchange of resources and information as a means of reaching more children in need more effectively and members cooperate to share best practices in child survival, protection and development. Together, ChildFund Alliance members work to eradicate the root causes and the effects of poverty on children by implementing meaningful solutions resulting in a positive future.
The Chief Development Officer will be an innovative and strategic leader capable of inspiring, developing and unleashing the full potential of their team to grow diverse revenue streams, differentiate and build the organization’s brand voice, rally supporters for the cause and increase overall donor engagement so that revenues are sustainable and empower the organization to change the lives of children, families and whole communities.
The successful candidate will be the senior executive responsible and accountable for envisioning and leading strategic planning and innovative opportunities to build, influence and nurture key relationships in support of all fund development activities which include: marketing, communications and brand leadership, new business development, and donor and public engagement to grow revenues and partnerships, diversify funding streams, and deepen the commitment to CCFC of individual givers and sponsors, corporate donors, major donors, foundation donors and other stakeholders. In addition, this role will work closely and support the endeavours of global operations to grow grant acquisition and enhance CCFC’s profile with National and International governments.
S/he is a senior leader who has the agility to capitalize on what CCFC is doing really well and identify opportunities that are missing. As a key member of the executive leadership team, this position is an active contributor to overall organizational strategy, performance, and culture. The Chief Development Officer will provide advice and support to the Board of Directors as a senior subject matter expert, and will also engage with the Board relative to their personal and network giving opportunities.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Strategic thought leader for fund development, communications and donor engagement, you will inspire and mobilize your team, your colleagues across all seven offices, donors, board members, media online and social communities, strategic partners and other relevant stakeholders to differentiate and build the organization’s brand voice, rally support for the cause grow revenues across all channels and segments;
- As a member of the Executive Leadership Team you will influence, enrich and support the achievement of the organization vision and strategic goals as an active contributor to determining strategic direction, organizational performance and culture.
- Work directly with the CEO and other senior leaders to identify and develop strategic alliances, including synergies and potential opportunities for cross-collaboration with other Canadian not-for-profit organizations.
Sustainable Revenue Generation:
- Provide strategic leadership to the Fund Development, Communications and Donor Engagement team to successfully implement a significant growth strategy that includes identifying new opportunities and untapped potential in current fundraising approaches.
- Take an integrated and comprehensive approach across all channels and segments to develop strategic and tactical plans to achieve target revenue growth;
- Develop and lead CCFC major and planned giving growth strategy and build capacity among the Board of Directors and Executive Team to build and sustain a culture of philanthropy characterized by robust leadership giving.
- Manage through direct reports effective relationships with outsourced agencies and revenue development partners.
- Understand your work in conjunction with ChildFund Alliance counterparts to develop and implement marketing synergies, joint fundraising strategies and partnership opportunities that ultimately benefit CCFC’s achievement of goals.
- Collaborate, manage and influence the interdependencies of Fund Development, Communications and Donor Engagement with other organizational functions across all seven offices with an emphasis on a dotted line relationship with New Business Development in the offices outside of Canada.
Public Engagement and Brand Identity:
- Lead the strategic direction of the CCFC brand, including defining CCFCs brand promise; brand DNA, brand belief, role, purpose and differentiation.
- Own and lead the end-to-end communications, public relations and engagement planning process for the brand revitalization and ensure the seamless execution of communications with donors and other stakeholders.
- Steward all donor and public facing teams to ensure that CCFC’s brand expression (e.g., positioning, ‘look & feel’, online user experience) is consistent across touch points and delivers on the brand.
- Develop innovative and consistent breakthrough messaging to build CCFC’s brand equity and continually build the corporate brand. Ensure that all internal and external materials adhere to corporate visual identification and branding standards.
- Leverage the ChildFund Alliance advocacy platform and campaign across all seven offices.
- Lead external creative agency relationships. Inspire and constructively challenge to deliver breakthrough brand communications. Develop brand/promotional style guides for external and internal use.
- Provide strategic communication and public relations support to the Executive Leadership Team including crisis and issues management.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive and pro-active plan to nurture and cultivate existing partnerships and build new partnerships with external organizations, corporations, agencies, community/service groups that reflect shared interests and values and will contribute to overall growth and organizational profile.
Stewardship of Resources:
- Develop and effectively manage the annual budget.
- Develop the knowledge and competencies of the team to achieve agreed results and demonstrate the commitment of the organization to investing in high performing staff.
- Develop, model and nurture an environment of teamwork, achievement, accountability, collaboration, respect, and results.
Key Working Relationships
Internal: CEO, ELT, Global Operations, Finance, HR, Country Offices, Board
External: Supporters, Vendors, Professional networks
Our Ideal Candidate
S/he will possess personal characteristics and attributes that include:
Accountability for Results: Strategic and Visionary thinking:
- Knowledgeable of emerging and future trends that will positively affect the organization’s success and impact. Able to clearly envision, model and communicate the future of the organization
Astute and integrity-driven decision-making:
- Applies sound judgment to business issues
- Able to quickly integrate complex information and different points of view in problem solving exercises
- Well-honed influencing skills; adept at driving organizational change through partnership, collaboration and leadership rather than title or line authority
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills and executive presence; highly credible with senior executives, has established themselves as a relevant and knowledgeable spokesperson with leading Canadian media and social influencers and is able to connect and build trust-based relationships with stakeholders at all levels of an organization
- Has a proven track record of driving revenue growth through brand building. Exhibits a competitive drive and does not see mediocrity as an option
- Able to set and meet aggressive goals and action plans, both as an individual and with a team
- Has a proven track record of engagement and partnership across all functional teams and with external partners
- Exhibits a mindset of creativity, innovation and a passion for new opportunities. Is not afraid to challenge the status quo and create interest and build consensus for new opportunities and approaches
- Demonstrates resilience and appropriate flexibility in all situations. Works well under stress and pressure. Consistently seeks out new knowledge, learning and approaches e.g. collaboration networks. Learns from both successes and failures
- Experience leading technical innovation priorities from a fundraising & donor/customer centric perspective
- Bounces back fast from disappointments
- Is comfortable with ambiguity
- Successfully guides the organization through change, while maintaining focus and intensity. Is viewed as a change agent, and builds a shared vision for change
- Comfortable pivoting from macro to micro issues, from shaping the brand vision and strategy through to the day-to-day details of Fund Development and Communications initiatives
- Comfortable with taking risks that improve the business. Is neither averse to nor reckless regarding risk-taking. Demonstrates prudent risk-taking. Open to risk-taking by others
- Adheres to the highest standards of personal and professional integrity and sets a positive example for others
- Models and promotes CCFC’s vision and values
Commitment to Continuous Learning and Improvement
- Demonstrates a commitment to personal and professional growth through continuous learning
S/he will be/have:
- Relevant university degree; Graduate degree preferred
- Certified Fund Raising Executive an asset
- 10 -15 years’ experience in fundraising, marketing & donor engagement; a combination of for profit and not for profit experience would be an asset
- Fund development achievement using traditional and digital marketing channels, social media, e-commerce. Ideally had experience with lead management, direct mail, direct response TV, sales, branding, major gift fundraising, grant acquisition and public/government engagement
- A track record of success that includes both the achievement of revenue goals and growth initiatives alongside a commitment to stewardship of resources and integrity in all decisions, actions and behaviours
- Relevant donor/customer retention strategy expertise within a diversified donor/customer base
- Provides strategic guidance and clear direction within a matrix management environment
- A demonstrated ability to develop, communicate, implement, measure and achieve strategic plans focused on revenue growth, brand positioning and growth, public engagement and sustainability
- Proven ability to lead, develop and inspire a team-driven approach to achieving individual, team and organizational performance goals
- Seasoned leader and subject matter expert in an integrated multi-channel marketing, fundraising, brand leadership, communications relationship/network development and public engagement
- Stays abreast of current development and trends in fund development and social engagement
- Ability to create a stakeholder experience that positions CCFC as the charity of choice
- Ability to develop and effectively manage annual budgets
- Ability to identify, develop and cultivate partnerships with external organizations, corporations, agencies, community/service groups that reflect shared interests and values and will contribute to overall organizational profile
- Superior written and verbal communication skills including media relations, online and social media engagement and high-level presentation and media spokesperson skills
- Accountability for continuous improvement, best practices and measurable results;
- Ability to work in support of a healthy, diverse, culturally sensitive and respectful organizational culture
- Basic knowledge of international development and social justice issues and priorities
- Demonstrated commitment to personal development and continuous learning
- Someone who excites, engages and enables those around them
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, then we’re interested in hearing from you. Apply now! Please include a cover letter along with your CV addressed to Cathy Preston.