Posted On: 2017-09-15
Closing On: 2017-10-13
Location: Burlington, ON
Employment Type: Contract
Senior Development Officer, Corporate Giving and Special Events
(2 year contract)
We are seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic fundraising professional to join Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation as the Senior Development Officer, Corporate Giving and Special Events.
Reporting to the Director, Community Engagement and working in close partnership with the Community Engagement team, the Senior Development Officer, Corporate Giving and Special Events is responsible for significantly increasing and diversifying revenue to the Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation from corporate donors and prospects in support of the Foundation’s priorities.
The incumbent will design, develop, implement and manage a Corporate Giving program which supports the Special Events program and Foundation overall through strategic corporate giving opportunities, such as Sponsorship, Major Gifts and Third Party acquisition, etc.
These responsibilities are accomplished while actively participating in a fast-paced, team environment with multiple priorities and competing deadlines. Demanding, challenging and exciting, this role requires an energetic, highly-organized team-player.
About Joseph Brant Hospital
Founded by a group of citizens eager for a community hospital, Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) opened its doors in 1961 and doubled in size in 1971. JBH is the only acute care hospital in Burlington, serving a catchment area of a quarter of a million people from Burlington and communities in Halton and Hamilton including Waterdown, Flamborough, Stoney Creek and east Hamilton. The Hospital is regarded as a leader in implementing best practices in a patient and family approach to care, rooted in organizational values known as the CARE (Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence) Commitment.
The Hospital provides a range of primary and secondary services, including specialty clinical services. It also participates in, and supports, key regional programs including cancer care, vascular and thoracic services, cardiac care and maternal and newborn services. The Emergency Department supports the local community and handles approximately 44,000 annual visits.
About Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation
JBHF was founded in 1976 to support Joseph Brant Hospital. We are committed to engaging our community, inspiring investment in our Hospital and making a difference in healthcare for our community. Our vision is to make a difference in our community, and through the generous giving of our supporters to provide an exceptional healthcare experience right here in Burlington.
Through the support of the community, Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation has raised millions of dollars for Joseph Brant Hospital and helped to achieve the mission of providing Compassionate Care, Exemplary Service, Every Time.
Our Hospital is currently undergoing the largest redevelopment and expansion project in Burlington’s history. The Halton McMaster Family Health Centre opened in the spring of 2015, and our new seven-story patient tower opened to the public on August 21, 2017. Since the opening of the new Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower, renovations have begun to the existing hospital. These renovations represent the final phase of the Hospital’s redevelopment and expansion project, which will have tremendous impact on the delivery of healthcare in Burlington today and for generations to come.
The Foundation is governed by a team of community volunteer leaders, and is managed by a dedicated staff of professionals who ensure that every donation is used effectively and efficiently to meet the needs of patients and their families.
- Actively identify, cultivate, solicit and steward corporate donors to the JBH Foundation
- As a representative of the JBH Foundation you will meet prospects for the purpose of effective, coordinated and efficient cultivation, solicitation and stewardship; when needed, coordinate travel with the Foundation President, Director, Senior Volunteers, etc.
- Establish, monitor and evaluate progress toward goals, provide statistical reports, on an ongoing basis and as requested, and suggest/request appropriate research for corps/prospects
- Work with the Business Systems team to ensure appropriate correspondence, acknowledgments for all gifts/sponsorships, etc.
- Prepare proposals, briefing notes and other documents in support of the cultivation/solicitation and stewardship of sponsorship donors and prospects
- Manage special events team
- Assist and support the implementation of events and new initiatives
- Provide excellence in special event volunteer management and support ensuring all volunteers are actively engaged
- Recruit, support and retain third party events in support of the JBH Foundation
- Provide leadership and support for the Foundation’s Young Professionals program and initiatives
- Ensures appropriate stewardship and cultivation for all Corporate donors, sponsors and organizers, and, in concert with the Foundation’s overall Stewardship Plan
- Work with the Director, Community Engagement to determine funding priorities/designations as they relate to the Corporate Giving and Events programs
- Liaise with JBH staff and program teams as necessary
- Maintain up to date knowledge and expertise in all aspects of legislation affecting philanthropy
- Maintain a high degree of motivation and superior work ethic consistent with the employment philosophy of the Foundation
- Participate actively as a team member of the Foundation
- Other development duties and responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications and Experience Required
- A post-secondary degree/diploma and recent fundraising experience with extensive experience in securing corporate gifts, sponsorships and special event planning, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Experience in working with, motivating and managing senior volunteers
- Demonstrated success in confirming corporate gifts/sponsorships of $10k or more
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on proposal development and presentation to internal and external contacts
- Must possess the ability to think strategically and work independently in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs and also be able to articulate these initiatives
- Excellent time management and project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once from conception to completion with tightly prescribed timelines
- Must be a team player with a commitment to relationship-building for the Foundation, both internally and externally
- Flexible, resourceful, creative and pro-active work style with a can-do attitude
- Must have strong computer literacy and excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications and Raisers Edge
- CFRE or fundraising certificate an asset but not required
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to:
c/o Amanda Hall
Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation
Closing Date: By 4:30p.m. on Friday, October 13, 2017.
Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.