Posted On: 2017-09-21
Closing On: 2017-10-27
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Database and Administration Specialist – RMHC Canada
(RMHC Canada Contract Role)
Status: Full time contract, renewable 3 year term
Reports to: National Director, Partnerships
The worst thing that can happen to a parent is to learn that their child is sick and needs to be hospitalized. Suddenly, life stops overnight, and they enter into a world of worry and fear. For 70% of Canadians who don’t live in close proximity to a children’s hospital, distance is an added stress. Families often travel hundreds of kilometres for treatment and support, and are faced with financial demands, job insecurity, and a healing journey that can take months or even years.
This is where Ronald McDonald Houses, Ronald McDonald Family Rooms and Ronald McDonald Care Mobiles help.
Every year, over 30,000 families from over 1,800 communities across Canada are supported by 15 Ronald McDonald Houses (providing a caring and supportive environment for families of seriously ill children undergoing treatment), 16 Ronald McDonald Family Rooms (providing a place for families to rest and recharge, right inside the hospital), or 2 Ronald McDonald Care Mobiles (mobile health units bringing medical care to underserved communities in Alberta). Ronald McDonald Houses serve approximately 64% of families of Canada’s most sick and injured children.
And yet, more than 2,000 families were turned away this year due to lack of space. With the goal of keeping families of sick children close - close to each other and close to the care they need – RMHC won’t stop until every family in need has a place to stay while their sick child is being treated. Over the next five years, RMHC is projected to add up to 200 more bedrooms, and expand the Family Room network to 32 in hospitals across the country.
Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) Canada is the national foundation of support for Canada’s Houses, Family Rooms and Care Mobiles across the country. Through the dedicated and unwavering generosity of its founding and forever partner, McDonalds, and that of numerous other national partners, in-kind partners, and individual donors, RMHC Canada provides the marketing, communications and fundraising support required to ensure the success of the 13 Chapters across Canada.
Because families heal better when they’re together.
Reporting to the National Director, Partnerships, the Database and Administration Specialist will co-create a data management system that supports the National Partnership team (Director and Senior Manager) with accurate and timely information to broaden fundraising efforts in support of RMHC Chapters across Canada. This is a senior administrative role that plays a critical and central role in interfacing with all facets of RMHC Canada’s giving partners, donors and stakeholders. The Database and Administration Specialist is responsible for all aspects of donor database management including prospect clearance, gift processing, acknowledgement, reporting and analysis using Raiser’s Edge. The Specialist also acts as a central point of information and collaboration for donors and internal/external stakeholders. This position also provides general administrative support as required.
Based at the RMHC Canada office in Toronto, this important role will be responsible for the daily operations, administration and data management of the National fundraising team across all donor initiatives, including general administration related to charitable donations and donor relationship management. This is a unique career opportunity – a newly created role with an established and well-recognized organization, under a strong, engaged and collaborative national leadership team, to enable leading programs that support family-centred care across Canada.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Build, maintain and optimize a comprehensive data management system (Raiser’s Edge) to effectively support RMHC Canada’s national development program, including the gathering, assimilating and reporting of key information for financial reports and donor data management.
- In conjunction with the National Partnership team, develop standards and procedures for data entry and gift processing, and ensure they are consistent applied, to ensure the highest levels of data integrity.
- Adhere to the standards of ethical fundraising (AFP, Imagine Canada), industry best-practice, and all RMHC Canada policies, including the Prospect Clearance Process, as relating to the collection and analyses of donor data.
- Responsible for the accurate entry and tracking of all gifts and donor information using Raiser’s Edge.
- Issue tax receipts for gifts meeting CRA and RMHC Canada tax receipting guidelines.
- Responsible for the management of prospect/donor information including accurate coding of information, entering solicitor actions and creating prospect lists.
- Maintain documentation and provide training to staff to support data integrity and related policies and procedures.
- Assist with application upgrades and/or patches as required.
- Remain current with Raiser’s Edge updates and data management techniques and act as the in-house Raiser’s Edge specialist and Blackbaud liaison.
Donor & Stakeholder Relations:
- Respond to inquiries from donors related to donations, receipting and donor updates.
Be a knowledgeable and accessible information resource for RMHC Canada both internally & externally.
- Ensure the mailing of thank you letters and receipts on a timely basis.
- Support the execution of a comprehensive stewardship strategy for national donors and partners.
- Provide database support and regular reports to the Director and Senior Manager of National Partnerships, to build fundraising revenues, achieve annual goals, measure program performance, and support RMHC’s mission.
- Support the preparation of the annual audit and CRA T3010 filing.
- Verify gift entry, prepare, print and file reports and complete scheduled reconciliation with accounting.
- Generate and send pledge statements and reminders on a monthly basis.
- Prepare queries and reports as requested by the development team including segmented direct mail lists, donor recognition and invitation lists.
- Prospect research on corporate, individual and foundation prospects as outlined by the prospect clearance protocol.
- Provide general administrative support as required (i.e. faxing, photocopying, distribution/mailing support, supply inventory, filing, event support, minute-taking, etc.).
- Participate in pre-event activities and on occasion, attend RMHC Canada events as appropriate.
Key Skills & Competencies:
- Demonstrate commitment to, and strong knowledge of, the RMHC mission and supporting programs; a strong desire to make a difference in the lives of children, families and community.
- A related post-secondary degree and/or at least five years’ related experience in gift processing and/or data management.
- Excellent computer skills including extensive experience using Excel, PowerPoint and relational databases (Raiser’s Edge) including experience in the design of reports and queries, is required.
- Blackbaud Certification (Raiser’s Edge), and/or CFRE considered strong assets.
- In-depth understanding of Canada Revenue Agency tax receipting rules and guidelines, and the charitable sector in Canada.
- Contributes actively by working with others collaboratively in all interactions; fully participates and encourages the participation of others in team activities.
- Seeks, establishes and maintains partnerships that share common goals, solve common problems within a context of shared power and responsibility.
- Can be flexible and tolerates ambiguity, shifts priorities, changes style and responds with innovative approaches as needed.
- Does the right thing for the right reasons; treats people fairly and with dignity; honours commitments; consistently upholds the core values of RMHC.
- Seeks to strengthen environment with authenticity and positivity.
- Continually learns and applies knowledge and promotes learning and improvement in others; gives, receives and acts on constructive feedback.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Successful track record of prospect research outcomes.
- Available to occasional work evenings and weekends, as necessary.
- Fluency in French is considered an asset
If you wish to pursue this opportunity, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 27th, 2017. While we thank all candidates who have applied, only those whose qualifications align with the requirements of the role will be contacted.