Posted On: 2017-09-26
Closing On: 2017-10-15
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: December 2017
Employment Type: Contract
CIFAR’s core purpose is to create knowledge that enriches human life and leads to a better future for Canada and the world. Since 1982, CIFAR has been connecting the world’s best minds through interdisciplinary research programs to tackle difficult and important questions of global significance. By helping innovative pioneers push further, and inspiring young research leaders to join them, CIFAR is able to expand the boundaries of understanding in ways that would otherwise not be possible.
CIFAR offers its research fellows the rarest of commodities: freedom to take the kinds of intellectual risks that are essential for creating truly transformative knowledge. And then CIFAR helps to share that knowledge – on everything from improving human health to advancing technology, from building strong societies to sustaining the Earth – with engaged stakeholders who are ready to put ideas into action.
Based at 138 universities and research centres around the world, CIFAR fellows are among the most highly cited and honoured researchers in the world. As many as 18 Nobel Laureates have been associated with CIFAR since its inception, including the most recent recipient, Arthur B. McDonald, associate fellow in CIFAR’s program in Cosmology & Gravity, recipient of the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics.
The work of CIFAR’s fellows and advisors has transformed our understanding of population health, the Earth’s evolution, early brain development, artificial intelligence, the effect of institutions on prosperity, and much more.
CIFAR is generously supported by the governments of Canada, British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, Canadian and international partners, as well as individuals, foundations and corporations. CIFAR’s international partners include the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, and Inria in France.
This is a one year maternity leave, contract position.
Reporting to the Director, Individual Giving, the Manager, Individual Giving is an integral part of the Advancement Team and supports the planning and execution of CIFAR’s annual Individual Campaigns.
Key responsibilities include cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of annual Individual donors and the management of the Knowledge Circle, the mid-level donor club (gifts up to $25k). This role provides key organizational support and project management to annual Individual Giving campaigns by planning, tracking and driving fundraising activities necessary to achieve annual revenue goals and plays an important role in building the major gift pipeline ensuring the sustainability of CIFAR’s Advancement success.
Annual Campaign Lead
- Develop and execute prospecting and solicitation strategies for annual Individual Giving in conjunction with the Director, Individual Giving to achieve revenue targets and acquire new donors
- Plan and develop communications and marketing materials and manage timelines for annual Individual campaigns
- Develop specific strategies and tactics aimed at attracting younger (age 30 - 50) donors and to cultivate their interest in CIFAR
- Using Salesforce CRM, track planned and completed activities, assign tasks and monitor progress towards goals and deadlines, track and report on donor pipeline
Major and Planned Giving
- Provide strategic support to develop approaches for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major and planned gift prospects and donors
- Expand and extend major giving portfolio by personally managing a portfolio of prospects at the $5,000 + level
- Assist in preparation of annual plan with measurable goals and strategies (including precise and practical deadlines) to maximize major gifts to CIFAR
- Identify opportunities to engage donors with CIFAR research through updates, meetings or other outreach
- Coordinate targeted cultivation events (i.e. boardroom briefings, volunteer-hosted dinners and breakfasts)
- Provide input by developing individual donor guest lists and supporting the execution of large public facing events while leveraging additional opportunities for engaging donors as appropriate
- Develop and maintain an annual work plan for individual donor stewardship activities and manage timelines in consultation with Director, Individual Giving
- Ensure proper gift acknowledgement, recognition and stewardship for annual gifts and realized planned gifts
- Work with gift processing to ensure that appropriate letters, tax receipts, invitations and other correspondence are sent in a timely manner for annual gifts and realized planned gifts
- Assist in developing strategies for ongoing donor recognition and stewardship activities, including website, Reach, Annual Report, website, Scope e-newsletter, events etc.
- Coordinate stewardship meetings, prepare briefing notes and participate in meetings as appropriate
- Ensure alignment of Individual stewardship activity with Advancement Team’s stewardship strategies and standards
Support the cultivation and solicitation of Major and Planned Giving donors and prospects
- Collaborate in developing relevant and successful prospect strategies and tactics
- Assist in development of all necessary materials, proposals, cases for support, letters, reports and acknowledgements for cultivation and stewardship of donors
- Compile and synthesize information in briefing notes and complete follow up activities for meetings with Individual prospects and donors
Advancement Team and Corporate Responsibilities
- Provide leadership to the Advancement Coordinator
- Participate as a member of project teams as required
- Contribute to team effort around all Advancement campaigns and donor strategy especially as it relates to attracting new donors and attracting younger donors
- Participate in and help deliver CIFAR events
- A University degree is required; fundraising diploma/certificate is an asset
- 4 years fundraising experience is required; one year at the management level
- CFRE designation is an asset
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- High level of communication skills both verbal and written
- French conversation and writing skills are an asset
- Passion for research and the role of science and innovation in society
- Computer skills including strategic use of CRM and pipeline management tools
- Relationship management: to build relationships with donors, volunteers and researchers; to work well in a team environment with other staff and participate as a team member to achieve common objectives; to be courteous with others at all times and treat with tact, respect and diplomacy;
- Strategy and Creativity: find points of alignment and connection between donor organizations’ goals and objectives and CIFAR’s strategies and programs, synthesize research findings to express CIFAR’s outcomes and aspirations in a way that is inspiring and motivating to potential donors
- Written communications: to prepare donor/prospective donor correspondence and proposals (solicitation/reports/thank you letters); to collect and prepare information for briefing notes/proposals/donor reports.
- Oral communications: to work collegially with other staff, communicate via telephone with, e.g., donors
- Attention to detail: to ensure all donor/prospect correspondence is tailored to the recipient/letter signer; to prepare an accurate annual donor list to appear in various publications; to accurately track financial results / report on results.
- Organizational: to determine own priorities/work flow; flexibility to contribute to group effort as required; careful analysis of campaign financial results and trends; excellent project management, planning and coordination skills.
- Leadership skills: To coach and mentor staff for excellent performance and help them to grow and build competence.
Position reports to: Director, Individual Giving
Term of position: 1 year contract
Start date: December 2017
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Manager, Individual Giving (Contract)” in the Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is 11:59pm on October 15th.
To find out more, please visit our website: www.cifar.ca
CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on abilities.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.