Posted On: 2017-09-27
Closing On: 2017-10-13
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: November 13
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Director of Corporate Development will lead a high performing team at Habitat for Humanity Canada with an annual target of $13.5MM, combining cash and gift in kind. The Director will be responsible for the strategic development, management, and delivery of corporate development efforts to acquire new corporate partners, engage in high-level stewardship of existing partners, and enhance fundraising/sponsorship initiatives and properties. The successful candidate will draw on their experience in corporate philanthropy, employee giving, cause marketing, and sponsorship. It is a full-time position based in Toronto and reports to Bob Baker, Vice President, Philanthropy.
- FUNDRAISE: Achieve personal and team fundraising targets and associated KPIs. Acquire new national gifts and renew existing national gifts from corporate partners and donors. Collaborate with the Philanthropy team and local Habitats across Canada to ensure proper clearance and strategy for approach. Design and implement effective solicitation strategies that will identify and acquire high-potential corporate partners. Execute effective stewardship strategies that will strengthen relationships with named donors and uncover opportunities to grow these partnerships. Develop briefing materials, cases for support, proposals, presentations, and gift agreements.
- COLLABORATE, LEAD & DEVELOP: Lead and be a contributing member of cross-functional teams. Work with the Corporate Development team and other Habitat Canada teams to lead and develop a comprehensive Federation-wide corporate development program that offers corporations with a variety of opportunities to support Habitat Canada including new and existing fundraising initiatives and properties, corporate employee engagement, workplace giving, cause marketing initiatives, and other opportunities as they arise.
- PLAN & REPORT: Work with senior leadership to set ambitious goals. Develop, implement, and evaluate team philanthropy and sponsorship plans to meet these goals along with associated KPIs and strategic organizational objectives. Provide complete and comprehensive reports to Habitat Canada leadership. Maintain up-to-date and accurate donor and prospect records. Continuously ensure that the organization’s donor database management system (The Raiser’s Edge) is reflective of all fund development activities.
- MANAGE RELATIONSHIPS: Continually develop relationships with new and returning corporate partners and donors. Grow a network of effective interpersonal relationships with national staff, volunteers, local Habitats and other stakeholders to achieve shared fundraising objectives. Work collaboratively with all stakeholders to solicit gifts for federation-wide priorities.
- ADVOCATE: Effectively and accurately communicate and align Habitat Canada’s mission, values and fundraising priorities with the interests and strategic objectives of corporate partners, always representing Habitat Canada and the Federation in a highly ethical and confidential manner. Conduct presentations and lead meetings with various internal and external stakeholders including, but not limited to, corporate partners, major donors, local Habitats, volunteers, team members, and the senior leadership team.
Skills & Attributes:
- Ability to think strategically and manage competing priorities in a high-volume and results-oriented environment; demonstrated resourcefulness and independence, but comfortable working within the framework of an integrated development program and team-oriented environment.
- Ability to identify strategic business development opportunities and then to plan, implement and evaluate these initiatives.
- Solid foundation of business acumen with an eye towards analytical and financial modeling experience.
- Willingness to learn and knowledge of best practices in sponsorship fundraising and corporate partnerships.
- A bias towards action, a can-do attitude, a positive disposition and a natural relationship builder.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to inspire confidence and trust amongst all stakeholders, acting ethically and responsibly in all interactions.
- Possess expert communication skills – written, oral and presentation including well developed networking ability with a proven capacity to establish new relationships easily.
- Superior listening skills with an ability to translate the concerns and interests of corporate partners into attractive opportunities for investment in Habitat Canada’s programs and priorities.
- Interest in and dedication to Habitat Canada’s mission, with ability to passionately articulate key messages and demonstrate an understanding of the organization’s work.
- Excellent organization, planning and time management skills and exacting attention to detail.
- Behaves in a manner that fosters a positive atmosphere throughout the organization; consistently demonstrates a commitment to teamwork, hard work, professionalism and openness.
- 7+ years of experience in charitable sector (with corporate development experience) or related experience in sales, business development, or corporate partnerships with proven results.
- University degree in relevant field or demonstrated equivalent working experience.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with The Raiser’s Edge an asset.
- Experience in a non-profit environment is an asset.
- A valid driver’s license and use of a reliable vehicle as well as a valid passport and ability to travel as required.
October 13, 2017
Job Contact Information
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter by email to ResourceDevelopmentJobs@habitat.ca.
We thank all applicants for applying however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We are dedicated to Equal Opportunity Employment.
About Habitat for Humanity Canada:
Habitat for Humanity is an international charitable organization whose mission is to mobilize volunteers and community partners in building affordable housing and promoting homeownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty. Habitat for Humanity Canada is the Canadian national organization with a mandate to raise national funds to support house building efforts, provide support and resources to 56 local Habitats across Canada, and to create awareness of the Habitat for Humanity mission and the issue of affordable housing.