We are seeking a dynamic and collaborative individual to join our team in the role of Director of Development. The incumbent will be responsible for assuring the sustainability and continued growth of our donation revenues from corporations, foundations and individuals.
Reporting to the Vice President, External Relations, the Director of Development will lead a team of three fundraising professionals and will provide strategic and operational leadership for the ongoing development of fundraising efforts targeting primarily major gifts at the $25,000+ level.
Employing outstanding fundraising practice together with a creative approach, the Director will play an integral role in establishing, fostering and enhancing relationships with current and potential supporters. This will enable the realization of key priority programs at Earth Rangers to secure and advance its vital kids’ conservation and environmental education mission.
ABOUT EARTH RANGERS – THE KIDS’ CONSERVATION ORGANIZATION
Our Mission: To educate and empower children to Bring Back the Wild
Earth Rangers provides children with the opportunity to protect animals, to improve the environment and to make a difference. Earth Rangers is The Kids’ Conservation Organization, dedicated to educating children and their families about biodiversity, inspiring them to adopt sustainable behaviours and empowering them to become directly involved in protecting animals and their habitats. We are the largest conservation organization in Canada by membership and the only environmental organization of our size focused specifically on children and their families.
The Earth Rangers approach to environmental education includes live animal interactive programming and a robust home membership experience. Our programming utilizes modern best practices for instilling environmental values in children ages 6-10 (our core demographic), including helping children understand their place in an interconnected environment, providing positive and inspiring adult role models, and building a sense of belonging and self-efficacy through positive reinforcement and a focus on the real world impact of positive actions.
Through live shows in schools and in community venues across Canada, on our website and on national television, and through our family membership program, Earth Rangers educates millions of children every year about the importance of biodiversity, and inspires and encourages them to become actively involved.
- Our Community of Earth Rangers
Our community is made up of over 175,000 members across Canada who made a commitment to protect animals and the environment.
By becoming an Earth Ranger, children – with support from their families – make a commitment to engage in actions that directly contribute to the protection of wildlife through various activities we call "Missions". Throughout the year, members of Earth Rangers have access to a variety of Missions that help them learn about various environmental issues and how their individual actions can have a positive impact. Members can also participate in our Bring Back the Wild fundraising program by selecting a native species and starting a campaign to help protect it. Earth Rangers selects different species each year and partners with conservation groups to develop tangible and impactful projects for our members to get involved in.
- School Outreach
Every year, Earth Rangers delivers programs to 900 elementary schools across the country, reaching 250,000 students. The Earth Rangers School Assembly is a dynamic and interactive presentation for grades 1 to 6 that leverages the shared, innate connection children of all backgrounds have to animals. Through the power of live animal demonstration and positive, science-based information, our high quality program educates students about the importance of protecting biodiversity, while highlighting interesting and diverse conservation initiatives across Canada. Students also receive take-home materials with information on how to take action and become an Official Earth Rangers Member.
- On Television
Our partnership with YTV began in 2010 and helped to spread our message, build our brand and encourage participation in our programs across Canada. We also have a philanthropic partnership with Shaw Media, which includes the airing of general awareness Public Service Announcements targeted towards parents and the public at large. Through a combination of Public Service Announcements (PSAs) and promotional spots, we reach Canadian kids and families almost daily and encourage them to join an ever growing community of Earth Rangers committed to protecting animals and their habitats.
In 2015, Earth Rangers collaborated with Ipsos Reid Canada to develop a survey comparing the environmental attitudes, awareness and reported actions of 600 Earth Rangers Members and 600 non-members across the country. The results amazed us. Earth Rangers Members are more optimistic for the future, more confident in their ability to affect change, and are more altruistic, showing a greater concern not just for the environment but for other social issues.
Earth Rangers has a staff of 40 and an operating budget of approximately $5.5 million. Our offices are located on Pine Valley Drive in Woodbridge (Major Mackenzie & Islington), adjacent to the Kortright Centre for Conservation Area. Designed to embody our values, the Earth Rangers Centre for Sustainable Technology is an advanced green building, a showcase of cutting edge sustainable building technology.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Director of Development will be an experienced team leader and skilled fundraiser, with a demonstrated track record of success in cultivating and securing major gifts at the $25,000+ level. An intelligent and curious life-long learner, the successful candidate will have an interest in the environmental and/or youth sectors, and will demonstrate values aligned with our organization.
The new incumbent will have the strategic ability and a fresh perspective to identify future growth opportunities in our corporate, foundation and individual donor portfolios, which collectively bring in more than $3.5M per year. The ideal candidate will bring strong relationship-building experience to this role, including previous experience with corporate philanthropy and partnerships, and foundation and granting partners. Results-oriented, proactive and highly organized, the successful candidate will have the confidence to seize initiatives and the expertise to move donor relationships and strategies forward. The ideal candidate will possess the desire to work as part of a hands-on team in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture.
The Director will be an exceptional team manager and coach, enabling the continued learning, professional growth, motivation and success of our Development team. Through guidance, direction, collaboration, recognition and communication, the new incumbent will galvanize individual efforts to continue to assure a high-performing team of development professionals.
Confident in his or her knowledge and abilities, but flexible and inclusive in seeking perspectives from others, the ideal candidate will be a socially interactive individual who enjoys engaging with coworkers, offering help, and celebrating team success. The Director will be positive, take things in stride, and will enjoy working in a happy environment where the kids are inspiring to us all.
The ideal candidate will have superb communication abilities, and will successfully persuade organizations and individuals that educating kids about the environment is critically important. French language abilities will be considered an asset to facilitate the development of our donor base among francophone individuals and organizations, particularly in Quebec and the National Capital Region of Ottawa.
Due to our location, candidates must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable automobile. The Director will be expected to travel throughout the GTA and local regions for meetings with donors and prospects. Occasional domestic air travel will also be required for this role (approximately 15 days per year).
The Director of Development will:
- Oversee corporate, foundation and individual fundraising, with an overall portfolio of $3.5 to $4 million.
- Work closely with the Vice-President, External Relations to create a fundraising development plan which increases revenues in alignment with the strategic direction of Earth Rangers.
- In partnership with the Vice-President, External Relations establish department goals and targets.
- Plan and direct the fundraising initiatives. Identify and develop cultivation and solicitation strategies across the portfolio ensuring these activities are in line with established priorities.
- Work to enlarge and develop the major gift pool of prospects and donors.
- Actively manage a personal portfolio of major gift ($25,000+) prospects and donors.
- Manage and provide coaching and mentorship to develop and engage a team of 3 direct reports to work collaboratively and achieve stellar results.
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising objectives are being achieved.
- Meet regularly with, and keep the Vice-President, External Relations apprised on significant activity and/or issues related to the Development Department.
- Maintain positive, productive, and mutually beneficial relationships with Earth Ranger colleagues.
- Regularly interface with the program staff to identify and effectively communicate the funding priorities of Earth Rangers to potential donors and to the fundraising team.
- Work with the communications team to develop compelling sales and stewardship materials.
- Ensure excellent donor stewardship and reporting.
- Apply strong project management and prioritization skills to ensuring that multiple projects and activities are effectively and efficiently executed and on-track.
- Ensure accurate records of contacts with donors, prospects and volunteers in the donor information system are maintained.
- Monitor regional trends and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Serve as an ambassador for Earth Rangers externally.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Significant progressive fundraising experience with proven success in the area of major gifts, particularly from corporate philanthropy and partnerships, as well as foundation and granting partners.
- Demonstrated experience in developing fundraising strategies and implementing multi-faceted fundraising plans.
- Experience leading, coaching, mentoring and motivating a professional team of fundraisers to achieve common goals and objectives.
- Superior interpersonal skills to develop and maintain a broad range of relationships as well as engage and inspire stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Excellent English language communication skills are required, including proposal writing and presentation abilities. French verbal communication skills are an asset.
- A strong work ethic, combining energy, enthusiasm, initiative, tenacity and proven organization abilities.
- Computer expertise (Microsoft Office Suite), and experience with Raiser’s Edge or other CRM software.
- A University degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
INTERESTED TO KNOW MORE?
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been engaged by Earth Rangers to lead this search. Interested candidates are invited to contact Sylvie Battisti, Senior Search Consultant by email at EarthRangers@KCIphilanthropy.com or by telephone at (438) 820-3496.
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: http://kciphilanthropy.com/search.
All inquiries will be kept in strict confidence. Candidates who wish to apply for this position should ensure that a resume and letter of interest are sent to the above email address by October 30, 2017.
- Our Board of Directors, Advisory Council & Leadership Team – http://www.earthrangers.org/team
- Earth Rangers Official Website – www.earthrangers.org
- Earth Rangers Centre for Sustainable Technology – www.ercshowcase.com
- Link to Earth Rangers Annual Report 2016 – http://www.earthrangers.org/2016-annual-report/