We are seeking a new Vice President, Philanthropy to provide strategic and operational leadership for our fundraising team as we continue to achieve and exceed revenue goals, while maintaining a long-term donor-centred approach to philanthropy.
The Vice President, Philanthropy will provide leadership to all of the Foundation’s fundraising programs, including Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Community Giving, Direct Response and Donor Relations, as well as Marketing & Communications. This includes campaign preparation, management, and performance. The Vice President, Philanthropy also owns a portfolio of Major Gift donors to manage and solicit, specifically in the target gift range of $100,000 to $1,000,000, as well as facilitating the President’s efforts to secure gifts $1,000,000+.
Reporting to and partnering with our President & CEO, Ken Mayhew, the Vice President will serve as a strategist, sounding board, and operational leader. The Vice President, Philanthropy will also work closely with the Foundation Board of Directors and William Osler Health System administration and staff as we continue to build a culture of philanthropy in support of enhanced patient care for those we serve.
This position is based at the Peel Memorial Hospital site; travel to our other hospital sites and to donor meetings across the region will be expected.
About the William Osler Health System
The William Osler Health System (Osler) encompasses Brampton Civic, Etobicoke General, and Peel Memorial Hospitals, serving 1.3 million people in Brampton, Caledon, North Mississauga, Etobicoke and the surrounding region. This is one of the fastest-growing and most ethnically-diverse regions of Canada and also has one of the highest rates of chronic disease in the province of Ontario.
Through innovative thinking and careful planning, Osler has developed inpatient and outpatient services, bold partnerships with community care providers, and an increased emphasis on maintaining wellness. The strengths and capacities of Osler’s three hospitals complement each other, so that together they provide seamless access to all the care most residents will ever need to stay healthy and well. Brampton Civic and Etobicoke General have emergency departments that are amongst the busiest in the country, and our labour and delivery program is one of the largest in Ontario. Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health & Wellness provides specialized outpatient-based care, including urgent care, day surgery, and clinics that help individuals better manage chronic conditions such as asthma, diabetes, and kidney disease.
William Osler Health System serves one of the most diverse and fastest growing communities in Canada. Diversity adds richness and value to communities whether it's race, ethnicity, language, religion, sexual orientation, gender, age, physical or mental health, educational background, socio-economic status, literacy or any of the other dimensions that make us unique and diverse. The neighbourhoods surrounding Osler's Brampton Civic Hospital (BCH) and Etobicoke General Hospital (EGH) have some of the highest proportions of newcomers, visible minorities, seniors, low-income individuals and people with limited English proficiency. Factors such as these acts as barriers in accessing safe and quality care and can result in negative health outcomes. Language/religious accommodation needs/cultural practices and a lower means of income can deter individuals from accessing preventive health care.
One of Osler’s Health Equity & Inclusion goals has been to introduce and leverage Clinical and Community Partnerships. Formal partnerships with community organizations that serve newcomers, low-income populations, seniors, individuals with hearing or vision difficulties, offer language and culturally appropriate day programs for those with chronic disabilities, etc. have enabled Osler's Discharge Planners and Social Workers to facilitate discharges to more appropriate supports in the community. Recreation and Occupational Therapists are able to provide language and culturally appropriate tools and resources including books and religious music. Memoranda of Understanding have been developed collaboratively and in agreement with community partners. Staff from these community partners have committed to setting aside time on a weekly basis to be on-site/accessible at BCH and EGH to provide a wide array of services to disadvantaged patients, families, staff and physicians.
More information about the William Osler Health System can be found at http://www.williamoslerhs.ca/.
About Our Foundation
William Osler Health System Foundation (Osler Foundation) is committed to equipping Osler physicians and staff with the state-of-the-art tools that are needed to change and save lives, every day. In addition to the generous support of the Ontario government, the Foundation relies on community support to ensure the continued provision of excellent care. It is expected that fundraising will provide 10-percent of construction costs and 100-percent of funds to purchase equipment for all three hospitals.
Osler Foundation works to ensure these three hospitals have the necessary funds to provide essential care in the region. Some examples of the ways in which the Foundation’s support is contributing to exceptional health care in the region include:
- Keeping Brampton Civic on the leading edge by offering patients having a heart attack 24/7 access to Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (stent), and sustaining a new clinic supporting patients living with complex pain or life-limiting illness in their own homes.
- Continued transformational expansion of Etobicoke General, which includes doubling the size of the emergency department, and establishing a single convenient location for information and treatment for Cardiology, Respiratory, and Neurodiagnostic Care.
- Funding equipment purchases to bring Peel Memorial’s revolutionary vision of integrated health and wellness to life in the newly constructed facility.
In order to meet these funding requirements, the Foundation offers many options for giving including the following programs:
- Monthly and Annual Giving
- Grateful Patient
- Planned Giving
- Gifts of Stock
- Corporate Giving
- Leadership Giving
- Personal Fundraising Pages
- Heartbeats – The Vital Signs of Life
- Buy-a-Brick Campaign
This past year was the best ever the Foundation’s fundraising history, thanks to our volunteer leadership and donors.
- The new Peel Memorial Hospital site opened in February 2017, and we are now raising the funds needed to fully equip the hospital.
- The redeveloped Brampton Civic Hospital was opened in 2007; the hospital has one of the largest labour and delivery programs in the province, and one of the busiest emergency departments in Canada. As the Hospital continues to evolve to meet the needs of this community, we are partnering to support these needs.
- Currently, the Etobicoke General campaign is an urgent priority, and our team is engaged community leaders and champions to build momentum.
In 2017, Osler was recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for its exceptional workplace diversity and inclusiveness programs. This competition examines a range of diversity initiatives for five major employee groups, including women, members of the visible minorities, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal peoples and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered peoples.
Further details on how Osler Foundation supports these three critical health care facilities, visit http://www.oslerfoundation.org/Home.aspx.
- Osler Foundation Staff: http://www.oslerfoundation.org/Contact-Us/Staff.aspx
- Osler Foundation Board of Directors: http://www.oslerfoundation.org/Board-of-Directors.aspx
- WOHS and Osler Foundation Publications: http://www.oslerfoundation.org/Publications.aspx
- Annual Report and Foundation & Hospital Publications: http://www.oslerfoundation.org/Public.aspx
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a thoughtful and creative strategist who brings a strong capacity for seizing opportunities and solving problems. Energetic and optimistic, the Vice President, Philanthropy will have the ability to rally people together towards common goals. Collaborative and empowering, the Vice President will encourage cohesive synergies between revenue streams and team in order to maximize the Foundation’s success.
The successful candidate will be an assertive and proactive communicator who provides clear expectations and parameters to staff. A strong coach and mentor, the Vice President will help team members to understand, develop, and how to best apply their respective skills. The ideal candidate will operate from a position of trust, and will be comfortable with delegation and holding others to account.
The successful candidate will possess strong initiative and impeccable follow-through. A goal-oriented individual who pushes ahead and brings others along, the Vice President will be a highly organized, and capable of juggling multiple priorities and projects. The ideal candidate will manage up and down with equal ease, and will support the Directors in ensuring that processes are effective, efficient, and evolving as needed.
Analytical and adaptable, the successful candidate will be an additive thinker with strong intellectual bandwidth, and a flexible skill set. Experienced in both the science and art of major gift fundraising, the Vice President will align the team appropriately to prospects and projects, and will serve as role-model, mentor, and sounding board.
An active listener who uses open dialogue and inquiry, the Vice President will encourage collaboration and sharing of experience, ideas, and input. Direct but diplomatic, the ideal candidate will blend integrity with humility and candour with respect. The ideal candidate will be a relationship builder first and foremost, and will value and work effectively with colleagues, volunteers, and partners across our diverse community. The Vice President will be inspired by our shared values of respect, excellence, accountability, diversity and innovation.
Please note that a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle are required for this position.
The Vice President, Philanthropy is committed to the mission of William Osler Health System and the Foundation and is responsible for the Foundation’s consistent achievement of philanthropic revenue objectives.
Strategic & Operational Leadership
- Lead the development and execution of strategic plans and budgets for all fundraising programs, in collaboration with the President & CEO and program leads.
- Determine appropriate goals and metrics for fundraising programs; monitor and report on progress against goals and on the key activities of fundraising programs, initiatives and staff.
- Work with program leads to ensure full integration and coordination of their programs to maximize donor engagement and fundraising results.
- Ensure that all fundraising programs and activities fall within ethical, fiscal, and legal standards, and within Foundation policies and regulations.
- Maintain relationships with other healthcare philanthropy professionals to ensure ongoing knowledge of best practices and to benchmark the Foundation’s performance.
Campaign Strategy & Major Gifts Fundraising
- Contribute to the development of appropriate campaign strategies for the three WOHS sites.
- Oversee and engage in the Foundation’s physician engagement strategy.
- Actively manage and solicit a portfolio of $100,000+ major gift prospects.
- Support the President & CEO with solicitation of $1M+ major gift prospects.
- Support the President & CEO in enhancing Board involvement in prospect identification, cultivation and solicitation activities.
- Provide support, mentoring, coaching and encouragement to Foundation staff, Board Members, and volunteers who are involved in major gift fundraising.
Integrated Fundraising Planning & Management
- Guide and support the Manager, Direct Response in growing the mid-level donor and monthly giving programs, and in the development of e-philanthropy strategies to integrate online communications and Community Giving activities with Direct Response.
- Work with the Director, Community Giving on strategies to better integrate the Community Giving activities with other fundraising programs, and to grow the Third Party Events revenue stream.
- Work with the team to further develop Planned Giving strategies and to ensure integration with Direct Response, Community Giving and Major Gift programs.
- Attendance at and encouragement of VIP donor stewardship and cultivation at Community Giving events.
- In partnership with colleagues, devise and integrate strategies to reach diverse communities representing many ethno-cultural groups and constituencies.
Communications & Donor Relations
- Develop strategies and work with Foundation colleagues to ensure effective donor relations are implemented across all donor levels.
- Lead the development of stewardship strategies and practices for all fundraising programs.
- Collaborate closely with Marketing & Communications in the development of key messages and marketing collateral in support of all fundraising activities.
Team Leadership & Management
- Consult, engage and actively collaborate with fellow Senior Leadership Team members.
- Encourage staff to combine best practices with creativity and new ways of approaching problems and opportunities.
- Engage team members in working collaboratively towards the integration of programs and activities in support of our collective goals.
- Work with staff to develop and achieve performance goals, targets, and metrics for their programs and revenue streams, and for themselves and their team members.
- Inspire, direct, and manage a team of 14 who work at Osler’s three sites. Direct staff reports include:
- Director, Community Giving
- Director, Major Gifts & Campaigns (EGH)
- Senior Manager, Development
- Manager, Direct Response
- Manager, Donor Relations
- Administrative Assistant
- Provide staff management guidance to those staff listed above that have their own direct reports.
- Oversee the recruitment and retention of fundraising staff including hiring, performance management, accountability and annual reviews and professional development.
Collaborative Relationship Building
- Curate positive relationships with donors, volunteers and community members.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, clinicians and staff within the William Osler Health System.
- Identify key physicians, clinicians, and senior staff to act as Foundation ambassadors and to help develop and solicit major gift prospects.
- Identify opportunities for and lend support to activities with the Health System that help to build awareness of the Foundation and to foster a culture of philanthropy.
- Provide guidance, training and support to any volunteers or hospital staff who serve as partners in fundraising activities.
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of William Osler Health System Foundation. For more information about this exciting leadership opportunity, please contact Tara George, Senior Vice President, or Sylvia Kadlick, Senior Consultant, by email at WOHSF@kciphilanthropy.com.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: http://kciphilanthropy.com/search
William Osler Health System is strongly committed to employment equity within our community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter of interest no later than October 27. All enquiries and nominations will be kept in strict confidence.