Posted On: 2017-10-04
Closing On: 2017-10-16
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Contract
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation is seeking a strategic marketing and fundraising leader to join the Foundation’s Senior Management Team and manage the Public Engagement portfolio during a 9-month maternity leave (January 2018 – September 2018). Reporting to the President and CEO, the Director will play a key leadership role in the development of advertising, social media, annual giving and peer to peer fundraising. The Director will work in partnership with the Hospital VP, Marketing, Communications and Advocacy on leading the joint hospital/foundation Communications & Public Engagement team.
About our Foundation
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation is the largest foundation in Canada dedicated to supporting childhood disability. Established in 1996 to inspire community interest and raise funds in support of Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital, our focus is to improve the quality of life for children with disabilities. Located within the Hospital in Toronto, the Foundation has a staff of 23 professionals.
Thanks to generous donors, our Foundation raises over $10 million dollars annually for Holland Bloorview and supports the areas of research, quality of life programming, capacity building and client and family-centred care. It’s an exciting time at the Holland Bloorview Foundation as our team has embarked on our next chapter with fresh strategies to inspire community interest and raise funds to help Holland Bloorview create a world of possibilities for kids with disabilities.
The Director of Public Engagement will be responsible for leading a team of staff in developing and implementing new strategies that raise brand awareness, solicit new Annual Program and Peer to Peer donors and participants and steward key relationships with media and advertising partners. The ideal candidate for this role is creative, innovative, strategic, diplomatic and passionate about the mission and vision of Holland Bloorview.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage, support and empower a team of 6 exceptional staff (3 direct reports) to achieve individual goals
- Responsible for the achievement of public engagement goals and financial objectives
- Work in partnership with Hospital VP, Communications, Marketing and Advocacy to continue to nurture and grow the strong, collaborative and cross-functional Communications and Public Engagement team – a unique structure in the sector
- Working closely with hospital colleagues, assist with the redevelopment of a new amalgamated hospital, foundation, research website, ensuring that donor friendly language and design is a key focus
- Work with pro-bono agency partner on the development of a fall 2018 brand campaign, as a follow up to Dear Everybody
- Nurture and grow relationships with media space agencies, securing over $1.75 million in donated space over two campaigns
- Oversee and support growth of annual peer to peer fundraising event Capes for Kids (March 5-11, 2018)
- Oversee and support the growth and development of annual programs (Tribute, Monthly, Direct Mail)
- Oversee the effective use of all social media activities with the goal of creating greater engagement and providing opportunities to leverage youth and kids voices
- Develop strategies and plans to acquire, engage and grow donor relationships with new target audiences (schools, millennials etc.)
- Assist with engagement and deepening of relationships with celebrity partners and securing new celebrity partnerships
- Proactively introduce new ideas and initiatives while staying current on emerging trends.
- Work collaboratively with the other departments at the Foundations and with the Foundation Senior Management Team
With a passion to create a world of possibilities for kids with disabilities, the ideal candidate will serve as an outstanding ambassador to Holland Bloorview and will engage others through creative and innovative brand and annual program campaigns on the importance of supporting children with disabilities and their families.
- A minimum of 10 years of marketing and fundraising experience with 2 or more years in a leadership position
- A track record of developing successful brand campaigns, securing in-kind advertising space donations and launching websites that engage and raise funds
- Very strong strategic and operational planning skills, with the ability to drive a team to success
- Excellent interpersonal skills to manage key sensitive relationships with donors, external vendors and agencies, Hospital colleagues, Foundation colleagues, volunteers and client families
- Resourceful, collaborative and organized; able to manage competing priorities, complex situations and deadlines.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to influence with diplomacy, persuasion and integrity
- Strong skills in supporting, motivating and mentoring staff and direct reports
- Understanding of disability rights and advocacy efforts
- Experience in a large, complex not-for-profit or healthcare organization is a definite asset
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our Careers website: