Posted On: 2017-10-03
Closing On: 2017-11-03
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: December 2017
Employment Type: Full-Time
St. Michael's Hospital Foundation, through its philanthropic activities, assists St. Michael's Hospital in attracting the resources required to fulfill and enhance its mission.
The fundraising staff drive fundraising activities and donor relations. This involves major gifts, gift planning, donor relations, stewardship, special events, annual giving and direct mail.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Philanthropy, the Senior Philanthropy Officer – Major Gifts is primarily responsible for contributing to the planning, implementation, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities to maximize individual, corporate and foundation donor support, for gifts of $250,000 - $1 million. The position will work closely with hospital leadership, Physicians, senior volunteers, board members and other foundation staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, clinical and financial needs and goals of St. Michael’s Hospital.
- Work in partnership with senior management and engage regularly with Hospital leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift donors focusing on gifts of $250,000 to $1 million
- Support the President and VP, Philanthropy in the development and execution of major gifts and pledges for donors with the capacity to give $1 million or more.
- Manage a group of 100- 150 prospects using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation.
- Liaise with annual and gift planning program staff to ensure that major gift fundraising is coordinated with their initiatives.
- Monitor and report progress of donor related activities and gift solicitations.
- Assist with the strategy for and creation of written communications, cases for support, proposals and stewardship reports appropriate to a donor’s interest and giving history.
- Working with select volunteers, help plan and implement key strategic cultivation events.
- Liaise with assigned groups and committees to provide guidance and leadership and ensure adherence to the priority assessment/adjudication process of the Hospital.
- Assist in the preparation of an annual plan of measurable goals and strategies (including precise and practical deadlines), to maximize major gifts to the organization.
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Must have 7-10 years of experience working in fundraising with at least 1-2 of those years in major gifts/principal giving.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in creating and presenting compelling proposals to donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person to person relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, and other foundations effectively and collaboratively.
- Basic understanding of healthcare delivery system in Ontario.
- Ability to attain financial and program goals within prescribed timelines.
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently using an above average level of initiative.
- Ability to work as a collaborative member of a fundraising team.