Posted On: 2017-10-10
Closing On: 2017-11-30
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
THE HEART AND STROKE FOUNDATION
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
Reporting to the Vice President, Development, Canada, the Director, Development Opportunities and Stewardship will be a senior member of the Central Development Team providing oversight, leadership, and support to a team of skilled professionals in the areas of opportunity development, partnership program activation, corporate and individual stewardship, and strategic writing. The Director’s role will directly impact and enhance the successful acquisition and fulfillment of donor and corporate pledges and result in revenue generation to advance the Foundation’s mission.
As a part of an integrated fundraising and sponsorship strategy, the Director will liaise and collaborate with provincial major gifts and corporate partnership leads to ensure the efficient coordination of efforts, sharing of materials, knowledge, and leads, and to encourage and assist individuals and teams in pursuit of their provincial efforts and goals. The Director does not carry a portfolio of prospects, but provides expert direction and support for national prospect leads.
The Director ensures the alignment of funding opportunities and programs for individual donors and corporate prospects, as well as supervises the creation of compelling and customized proposals that align with the Foundation’s mission priorities. This role also oversees the management of successful activation and stewardship of donors and sponsors on a national basis and helps ensure re-engagement.
When appropriate, the Director represents the Development team with the ability to influence and negotiate solutions to ensure that the team is provided the flexibility and opportunity to focus on business development, revenue generation and build positive long-term relationships with donors and sponsors.
Business Planning and Strategy
- Leads the development of annual and multi-year strategic and implementation plans for opportunity and program development, activation and stewardship
- Advances the Development team’s advanced cultivation, pre-solicitation and solicitation strategies through the creation and advancement of strategic, innovative and targeted opportunities that drive revenue - including campaigns
- Works cross-functionally with senior leaders from all business units to gain approval/support for launching new initiatives and partnerships from concept stages onwards
- Builds and leverages strong understanding of activities and programs across the Foundation to ensure that new initiatives link to overall priorities and/or address gaps in fundable opportunities available
- Leads the strategic accountability for building, planning, prioritizing, executing and managing activation and stewardship functions, with the goal of creating highly motivated long term supporters
- Represents Development and its interests at internal cross-functional meetings as appropriate
- Maximizes efficiencies and improves processes across within Opportunities, Activation, and Stewardship teams
- Oversees the customization of funding and sponsorship opportunities for Major Gift donors and Corporate Partners, aligning individual and corporate affinities with key Foundation priorities
- Oversees the development of close working relationships with internal stakeholders to ensure donor/sponsor interests are accounted for during opportunity development
- Oversees the development of off-the-shelf and customized opportunities that have high potential for support and align to the Foundation’s strategic priorities
- Oversees the utilization of industry knowledge and current standards to determine a monetary value for all opportunities
Activation and Stewardship
- Oversees support to key national donors/partners, ensuring that the objectives of both HSF and donors/partners are achieved
- Identifies growth and expansion opportunities within existing relationships
- Oversees collaboration with key internal stakeholders to ensure cooperation and effective rollout of donor/partner deliverables and successfully fulfilling or exceeding contractual obligations
- Oversees the effective utilization and identification of national and provincial communications channels and community activation programs in line with supporter program expectations
People and Team Leadership
- Provides direction, support and regular coaching to build and mentor a high-performing team to support Development in meeting revenue goals and advancing relationships with current and prospective donors/partners
- Leads the Strategic Writing and Activation and Stewardship teams in upholding the highest standards of opportunity/proposal development, activation and stewardship to supporting Development efforts
- Coaches and mentors the teams to strategically and compellingly align the organization’s funding needs, mission strategy and existing programs with the interests of donors/partner
- Provides strategic oversight and guidance to the cultivation and soliciting of gifts from donors and partners that align with the HSF mission priorities
- Provides personal and customized coaching to senior staff engaged in donor/partner relations on an as-needed basis
- Models and contributes to a collaborative work culture, ensuring exceptional customer service and cross-functional collaboration across departments and across the country
- Acts as staff support for formal and ad hoc requests for information
- Positions Development Team Central as experts in the area of opportunity development, activation and stewardship through the creation of compelling opportunities and execution of the highest standards of activation and stewardship
- Negotiates solutions on behalf of Development to ensure that corporate partners enjoy maximum benefit and align with HSF partner guidelines
- As needed, may attend discovery and pitch meetings with high-value prospects to support opportunity development and contribute to revenue and relationship goals
- Inspires and leads staff with effective people management skills, including goal setting, development, coaching and performance management
- Works with external partners, consultants and associated volunteer advisory groups/committees to engage required expertise and direction in developing and/or implementing plans
Operations, Business Planning and Budget Management
- Leads or contributes to the development and management of annual and/or multi-year business plans, financial outlooks and budgets. Completes a detailed monthly review of spending against budget and ensure accurate and timely accounting and reporting of expenses and analyze and resolve variances
- Familiarized and compliant with all Financial, Accounting, IT, Contract and Purchasing Policies and Procedures. Ensures Supplier relationships are properly established, clearly documented and managed in accordance with Contract and Purchasing Policies
- Complies with all policies and practices at the Foundation, including the Code of Professional Conduct, ensures all direct reports are also in full compliance with Foundation policies and practices
- Six direct reports as part of an integrated Development team across the country
- Development Team Central colleagues
- Marketing and Communication Directors
- Community Engagement Directors
- Mission Leads
- University degree (business administration, fundraising and/or Marketing)
Experience and Skills
- 10 years of progressive, direct experience working with donors/sponsors with a strong track record of achievement
- Supervisory experience is required
- Superior organizational, project management and resource management skills
- Self-motivated, with sound judgment and ethical decision-making skills
- Superior interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Superior ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines, combined with a comfort managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines
- Ability to work in a multi-layered, complex, results-oriented institution with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- An ability to manage for results and set and establish new standards of success
- Excellent attention to detail and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.