Organization: Port Perry Hospital Foundation
Title: Chief Executive Officer
Reports to: Board of Directors
Location: 451 Paxton Street, Port Perry, ON
Is this you?
Are you an accomplished fundraiser with capital campaign experience in a not-for-profit organization (ideally healthcare) with an excellent background in communications and brand? Do you have a desire to take on a new challenge in a smaller community? Smart, detail driven, self-motivated, mature, collaborative, excellent communicator both verbal and written and strategic would be how peers and colleagues describe you. You have a proven track record in your ability to develop meaningful relationships with a myriad of stakeholders and to successfully integrate donor interests with organizational priorities. You are known as a consummate professional, able to tactfully manage any situation and to motivate and inspire colleagues and volunteers.
Are you looking for a role where you can be the leader in a community that is passionate about their hospital? Do you like being an individual contributor supported by a very capable associate and a very committed board? Do you understand that base compensation will reflect the lower cost of living and the size of the Foundation and although you’ll be well compensated including excellent benefits and HOOPPs pension your true motivation is not driven by ‘just money’?
If you have a passion for healthcare philanthropy and supporting a beautiful community like Port Perry, please read on…
Port Perry Hospital Foundation is committed to raising, managing and distributing revenues from donations to support Lakeridge Health Port Perry capital projects, equipment purchases and programs which have a direct impact on current and future patient care.
Cindy Lister the current Executive Director has announced her intention to retire effective December 31st, 2017. Cindy has been Executive Director of the Foundation since 1995 and in that time, has greatly expanded the Foundation. Cindy has dedicated her career to the Port Perry Community and is a trusted and respected member.
On August 25th, Port Perry Hospital caught fire. Every effort is being made to ensure that Port Perry Hospital becomes operational as quickly as possible. Temporary facilities have been arranged and by Summer 2018 the hospital will re-open.
Quotes from grateful patients:
As patients, we couldn’t have been treated better, everyone was helpful and courteous. Our relatives and friends from Toronto are always surprised and impressed at the medical services available here.
P. Wooding, Port Perry, Ontario
The amazing care and compassion was greatly appreciated and all the knowledge and advice was very reassuring to a new mom.
S. Newman, Oshawa, Ontario
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the effective administration, revenue development, financial stability, and strategic direction including brand, communications and daily operations of the Foundation. The position reports to the Board of Directors and oversees an annual budget target of $1M.
Our successful candidate will play a lead role in the development of long range strategy, raising resources, overseeing a staff member and working cooperatively with the Foundation Board.
Shape the vision and future direction of Port Perry Hospital Foundation in association with the highly effective board of directors and senior staff.
Act as chief spokesperson for Port Perry Hospital Foundation with prospective donors, staff, government etc.…
- Provide leadership to a dedicated team. Work in collaboration with the Board and staff to develop, propose, execute and report on strategies, plans, projects and programs that achieve the goals of the Foundation
- Establish appropriate measures and key performance indicators of progress and achievement of objectives (note: Raiser’s Edge is the database)
- Build effective relationships with external parties such as Lakeridge Health leadership and staff, healthcare providers, the Auxiliary to Lakeridge Health Port Perry, physicians, government representatives, other community organizations, foundations and societies and the community at large. Also build effective relationships with Foundation staff, board members and volunteers
Donor Relations and Fund Development
- Develop and implement all brand assets consistent with the Foundation strategy including website, case for support, proposals, etc.
- Build mutually respectful relationships with past and prospective donors
- Engage donors in imagining and realizing significant improvements in healthcare for Port Perry Hospital. Regularly review and optimize donor relationship strategy
- Design and implement plans to obtain sufficient funds to support the work of the Foundation
- Execute strategies to cultivate major gifts and recognize donors
- Ensure the reputation of the Foundation in the community is sustained and enhanced
Identify Port Perry Hospital Improvement Opportunities
- Work in collaboration with the Board, donors, Lakeridge Health and other organizations to identify significant opportunities for the Foundation to sustain and enhance excellence of healthcare at Port Perry Hospital
- Participate in information gathering and analysis of Port Perry Hospital equipment and program needs
- Identify opportunities and prepare business cases, project and capital campaign plans for Foundation investments in equipment, programs and facilities
Operations and Administration
- Direct all Foundation administrative functions, including budgeting, financial management and reporting, and policy administration
- Ensure the effective recruitment, development, performance and support of Foundation staff and the board
- Establish a respectful workplace environment and implement effective and efficient practices for the execution of Foundation work
- Take actions to ensure compliance with bylaws, policies and all other statutory and regulatory requirements
Support Board Governance and Direction
- Develop and propose policies that ensure accountability, transparency and appropriate risk management
- Work with, communicate with, and support the effective operation of and governance by the Board.
- Organize and facilitate regular Board meetings, committee meetings and special meetings
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will possess a passion for healthcare philanthropy, a strong understanding of donor relationship management, professionalism, excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills, and a proven track-record of closing gifts. They will be someone who enjoys the ‘juxtaposition’ of the donor (farmer to GTA corporate executives) of a tightly knit community like Port Perry and ideally want to call it home.
S/he will have/be:
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in a similar leadership role required
- Commitment to ongoing professional development, a CFRE designation is encouraged
- Experience in a campaign environment (preferred) and developing fundraising plans, budgets, work plans and performance reports
- Demonstrated experience and success in donor acquisition and setting and achieving fundraising targets through individual and corporate giving required alongside understanding of other donor channels including planned giving, direct mail and special events
- Experience developing and implementing effective brand and communication plans including digital prowess
- Proven experience working effectively with a Not for Profit Board to develop and implement strategic and operational plans and ideally a good understanding of Board governance
- Extremely effective interpersonal skills with a professional presence and mature manner, and capable of exercising independent judgment, initiative and flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, work proactively, manage competing priorities and bring a ‘can do’ attitude to the workplace
- Excellent organization, planning and time management skills with exacting attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to write effectively and persuasively (specifically need to know what goes into writing a good ‘ask’)
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office software applications and demonstrated knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or equivalent
- A flexible team player able to collaborate with and inspire colleagues and senior volunteers by setting the example
- A University degree in a related field
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team for a very important, uniquely focused and successful organization then what are you waiting for? Apply now via email to Lindsay Preston (email@example.com), please include an updated CV and Cover Letter.