Posted On: 2017-11-07
Closing On: 2017-12-11
Location: Markham, ON
Effective: As soon as possible
Employment Type: Full-Time
MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER WORLD RELIEF CANADA
Title: Major Gifts Officer (Inside title)
Business card title: Donors Relations Director (Outside title)
Reports to: Wayne Johnson, President & CEO
Purpose of the position: To secure funds for the organization by fulfilling the interests and passions of donors by providing them with giving opportunities, encouraging them to give, retaining them as continuing donors to World Relief Canada. As their donations are well stewarded they will be upgraded in their giving and involvement.
Although difficult to measure, the quality of relationship with major donors, their sense of accomplishment, and their treatment as genuine partners are important factors in the success of this position.
- Qualify a caseload of donors from a larger group of donors to World Relief Canada.
- Set individual goals for each donor in his or her caseload based on the donor’s history of giving and organization’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Create a foundational communication, cultivation and solicitation plan for each donor and prospect on the caseload.
- Execute the plan in a systematic and timely manner so that individuals on the caseload are retained and upgraded.
- Work within the World Relief Canada team, specifically with the CEO, the Communications Director, the International Program Director and the Church Engagement Director to secure appropriate project information including budgets, to create offers, proposals and solicitation tools used to secure gifts from donors; and information to report back to donors on how their giving is making a transformative difference.
- Work with the Donor Services Coordinator to identify and raise the sights of donors considered “mid-level” to become Major Gift Donors
- Perform other major donor activities as may be required by management, including creating monthly reports that accurately reflect caseload activity and performance.
Accountability – Indicators for performance evaluation
A. Measurable outcomes
- #s of individuals, churches and businesses from the pool of World Relief Canada donors qualified as major donor prospects
- #s of qualified donors for which
- Financial goals are set, reflecting individual donor’s passions, interests, motivations, giving histories & patterns, and ask preferences
- A personal contact and solicitation plan is set
- the solicitation plan is executed in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Metrics for specific results
- $ raised
- # of major gifts
- Retention rate
- Upgrade rate
B. Valued abilities (evaluated by observation)
- To create and sustain high-quality relationships that are mutually beneficial to World Relief Canada and to its major donors.
- To secure project and organization information needed for solicitation and reporting
- To create and write effective offers, proposals, asks and reports.
- To produce timely management reports on major donor work and performance.
- To manage people, process, deadlines and budgets while adhering to the policies and procedures of World Relief Canada.
- To collaborate with peers, subordinates and management and maintain a positive and constructive attitude while solving problems.
- To support the work of the entire team, and protect the mission, goals and values of World Relief Canada.
- To remain focused on the major donor program and pursue its priorities in the face of numerous other organizational needs and priorities
- 3-5 years experience in a fundraising environment with demonstrated success in major gifts fundraising: College diploma or University degree preferred.
- Experience supporting and motivating senior volunteers.
- Experience soliciting and securing five-and-six-figure-plus major gifts.
- Demonstrated track record of successful donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database use
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge or other data tracking programs as a means of administrating donors and gifts. World Relief Canada uses Raisers Edge and NXT
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle with the ability to travel is required
Must demonstrate the following:
- Flexibility and the ability to function as a team player
- Strong written and oral communication skills, to successfully interact with external customers and staff within the organization
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, problem solving and planning skills are required
- Self-starter, capable of identifying the need for and taking independent action
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment as well as independently
- Ability to develop cooperative working relationships
- Skilled in public speaking; able to engage diverse audiences
- A skilled communicator for business case development (donor proposals)
To apply please do NOT contact World Relief Canada directly. Apply by email only, with cover letter and attached resume, to applyWRC@kmaconsultants.ca. KMA Consultants will respond to every applicant.
Your cover letter should include a description of:
- How you would integrate your faith with this role
- An overview of your related education and experience
- Your approach to successfully developing funds to help World Relief fulfill its vision.
World Relief Canada is committed to the protection of children; all offers of employment will be conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a Police background check. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the core values and Christian mission of World Relief Canada.
All of the above responsibilities are to be conducted in a professional manner. They require attention to professional standards; Christian faith, morality and integrity; and positive interpersonal relationships.
World Relief Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We have been operating under the name World Relief Canada for the last 40 years. As of January 1st 2018, Tearfund Canada will be the new name of the organization.
To learn more about World Relief Canada, visit worldrelief.ca