Posted On: 2017-11-07
Closing On: 2017-11-17
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Contract
Ryerson University is seeking a major gift fundraiser to take on the role of Director of Development.
Ryerson is a dynamic and comprehensive university built on an award-winning reputation for providing world-class education and training through hundreds of career-focused programs and work-integrated learning opportunities. Ryerson is committed to testing and applying classroom knowledge in the real world in virtually everything we do – from our co-op and internship offerings to zone learning, and out extracurricular and community outreach programs. Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Ryerson is home to more than 43,000 undergraduate and graduate students, 3,100 faculty and staff, and nearly 185,000 alumni worldwide. Many of our faculty are award-winning scholars and researchers, industry experts and community leaders, and we boast the largest continuing education program in Canada. Ryerson has built a diverse and global innovation ecosystem that nurtures new ideas and bolsters discovery through technology and entrepreneurship. Proudly diverse and intentionally inclusive, Ryerson University is committed to inclusion, respect for Aboriginal perspectives, equity, diversity and putting people first -- making Ryerson a truly inclusive place to learn and work. In 2017, Ryerson was once again named a winner of the Canada's Best Diversity Employers competition.
The Director of Development (DOD) will lead the major gift strategy and solicitation activities for several central priorities of the university. We are seeking a passionate, energetic and experienced fundraiser who has an exceptional track record of building relationships with prospects and donors, who can motivate and support fundraising volunteers, and who has the determination and creativity to drive results by working closely with the university’s administration, faculty and students.
We are looking for a professional who appreciates independent work but is also a great team player. You possess excellent communications skills that can inspire your colleagues and our alumni and friends. You have a good sense of humor but also take your work very seriously. Finally, we are seeking someone who is fiercely committed to raising support for initiatives that will have a true and lasting impact on our community locally or at large.
Candidate Qualifications and Skills
We welcome applications from candidates who have:
- A distinct passion for higher education and a belief in the mission and vision of Ryerson
- At least one post-secondary degree and a minimum of 5-7 years of full-time service in advancement, major gift fundraising, or philanthropic relationship management, preferably in an educational or complex non-profit environment
- A strong and impressive track record of major gift cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Knowledge of complex information and moves management systems
- Excellent customer service acumen and proven effectiveness in convening and inspiring internal stakeholders
- Impeccable writing and presentation skills, especially when it comes to public speaking and proposal development
- Knowledge of different charitable giving vehicles and financial/gift planning tools
- A deep commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity
Ryerson University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply but applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.