Posted On: 2017-11-08
Closing On: 2017-12-06
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
St. Michael's Hospital Foundation, through its philanthropic activities, assists St. Michael's Hospital in attracting the resources required to fulfill and enhance its mission.
The fundraising staff drive fundraising activities and donor relations. This involves major gifts, gift planning, donor relations, stewardship, special events, annual giving and direct mail.
The Philanthropy Officer – Stewardship participates in the development, management, and implementation of the donor relations program to complement the objectives of the overall philanthropy department.
Under the supervision of the Director, Philanthropy – Major Gifts & Stewardship, the Philanthropy Officer – Stewardship works closely with other Philanthropy Officers and colleagues across the organization to plan and implement donor acknowledgement, stewardship and recognition that support the Foundation’s solicitation initiatives at all levels.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recommend and implement creative stewardship programs that will distinguish the Hospital from others, in collaboration with other stakeholders
- In collaboration with Foundation colleagues and stakeholders, improve and implement a comprehensive donor recognition program for the Foundation, including giving societies and guidelines for annual giving, mid-level, special events and major and planned giving donors.
- Recommend new programs, publications, communication tools and activities to grow and/or streamline the current portfolio of recognition activities and stewardship programs. Manage and improve established donor relations and stewardship programs and activities.
- Recommend, improve and implement appropriate mechanisms to acknowledge donors at all levels.
- Recommend and implement systematic, effective and appropriate stewardship practices for donors of endowments.
- Develop and implement a program for volunteer and hospital partner recognition and stewardship.
- Act as a resource person for all Foundation and Hospital staff on donor recognition and stewardship issues and activities.
- Develops donor stewardship content to support the Major and Planned Gifts team that can be deployed across all Foundation communications and marketing channels.
- Maximize the use of Raiser’s Edge as a tool for documenting naming opportunities tracking, implementing stewardship plans and tracking other donor stewardship related activity.
- Support the planning and execution of donor stewardship events and collaborate with colleagues to ensure events are successful and meet Foundation objectives.
- Research best practices in donor relations for all programs and make recommendations for implementation through policy development and adherence.
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the Community, positively representing the Hospital and the Foundation.
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization.
- A university degree or a combination of comparable skills and experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working in fundraising preferred.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience in major gift fundraising, donor recognition and stewardship.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person to person relationship-building skills.
- Ability to work with senior leaders, physicians, and other foundations effectively and collaboratively.
- Experience working with volunteers and volunteer committees/boards in a wide range of capacities.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands.
- Keen understanding of current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector.
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skill
- Proficient in the use of all corporate productivity tools including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer as well as Raiser’s Edge or other donor database management systems.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekend