Posted On: 2017-11-14
Closing On: 2017-12-18
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Royal Conservatory (RCM) is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, and teacher certification. It is also a leader in the development of early childhood education programs and arts-based social programs, and presents a diverse range of concerts featuring the finest Canadian and international artists in its magnificent performance space, Koerner Hall. Please visit www.rcmusic.com for more information.
The RCM’s Development Department is undergoing a period of strategic growth as it launches Resounding! The Campaign for The Royal Conservatory, a comprehensive fundraising initiative to celebrate and support excellence in performance and learning at the RCM. Funds raised will help to expand program offerings at The Glenn Gould School, The Conservatory’s acclaimed centre for undergraduate and graduate level performance training, and to increase signature programing showcasing the world’s leading artists in Koerner Hall.
The Development Department of The Royal Conservatory is seeking a highly organized and results-driven administrative professional to support the work of the department as the Assistant to the Vice President, Institutional Advancement and Development Assistant.
The incumbent will assist the Vice President, Institutional Advancement’s fundraising and Board relations activities by providing executive administrative support and performing project-based assignments. She/he will also work with the Development Services team to provide general support to the Development department.
This ideal candidate is an experienced administrator who is highly organized, confident and self-motivated, with the ability to manage multiple priorities efficiently, accurately and in a timely manner. The position reports directly to the Vice President, Institutional Advancement, and is co-supervised by the Senior Director, Development Services.
Support for the Vice President, Institutional Advancement
- Providing administrative support to the Vice President, Institutional Advancement; ensuring tasks are performed in a timely and professional manner, working independently with a keen attention to detail and accuracy, and taking initiative to anticipate needs and identify opportunities for improvement
- Maintaining and coordinating the Vice President’s schedule and activities, including such tasks as scheduling and confirming meetings, appointments and reservations; booking meeting rooms; preparing meeting materials and correspondence; ordering/picking up meeting refreshments; coordinating conference calls, and; arranging business-related travel and accommodation
- Acting as a point of contact for the Vice President, and coordinating and tracking the timely flow of information between the Vice President and RCM staff, Board members, senior volunteers, donors and other contacts
- Creating and maintaining a filing system for the Vice President’s documents (both hard copy and electronic), and updating and maintaining the Vice President’s electronic contact database
- Drafting correspondence, memos, reports and various other documents for the Vice President’s review
- Formatting draft materials prepared by the Vice President into professional-quality documents, reports and presentations
- Preparing and organizing materials for meetings, including agendas, briefing notes, background materials and handouts, and taking meeting minutes as required
- Assisting in the planning, preparation and execution of special events for the Board, RCM Founders, and other senior leadership volunteers and stakeholder groups
- Attending internal meetings when the Vice President is not available to report on decisions, questions and action items discussed and agreed upon
- Supporting Development staff in the preparation and execution of fundraising, stewardship and cultivation events
- Assisting with the execution of fundraising appeals and other donor communications by preparing mailing lists and performing mail merges
- Escorting donors and guests to meetings and on facility tours
- Drafting minutes, and writing reports and donor correspondence
- Researching and preparing prospect and donor profiles
- Updating the Development departmental calendar
- Maintaining the inventory of office supplies
- Arranging courier deliveries and pickups
- Participating in departmental activities including staff meetings, donor stewardship activities, and fundraising events
- Performing other duties as required
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- 2-3 years’ experience providing administrative support to a VP or other senior executive
- Highly organized, with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
- Ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to providing superior donor relations management
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Ability to be proactive and take initiative with appropriate consultation
- Ability to deal with confidential matters with diplomacy, discretion and tact
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); experience with The Raiser’s Edge an asset
- Previous fundraising experience, or a degree from a college or university-level fundraising program considered a strong asset
RCM is committed to a policy of equity and inclusion.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and RCM’s Access and Equity policy, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and current résumé online (please upload a single file combining both documents) at www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservatory by 2:00 PM on Monday, December 18, 2017. We thank all applicants and will contact only those selected for an interview; please note this position may be filled prior to the application deadline if a suitable candidate has been identified.