Posted On: 2017-11-23
Closing On: 2017-12-25
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Contract
Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Director of Annual Giving
Maternity Leave Contract
January 15, 2018 to October 31, 2018
Director, Leadership Gifts & Stewardship
Director, Planned Giving & Major Gifts
Director, Advancement Services
Associate Director, Alumnae Engagement
Associate Director, Events & Community Engagement
Associate, Stewardship and Communications
Head of School
Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Director, Advancement, the Director of Annual Giving oversees the school’s Annual Giving Program, which includes the Graduating Class Scholarship Fund and the Staff and Faculty Campaigns. This position is responsible for the planning, organizing and implementing of all activities related to the Annual Giving Program. The Director of Annual Giving strives to acquire, retain and upgrade donors, ultimately expanding support from the entire BSS Community, including trustees, governors, volunteers, alumnae, parents, past parents, grandparents and friends of the school.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Develops and provides leadership to all aspects of Annual Giving in order to raise funds for school priorities including needs-based scholarships, endowment, academic programs and other funds as determined by the school
- Develops and implements fundraising strategies with the Associate Director, Alumnae Engagement, to secure increased Alumnae participation in Annual Giving, including all annual reunion giving campaigns
- Works alongside the Director of Major Gifts and Stewardship on leadership Annual Giving strategies
- In collaboration with the Advancement Team, leads the identification, recruitment, recognition and stewardship of Annual Giving volunteers and chairs of committees, and also acts as the key contact for these volunteers
- Collaborates with the Communications Department to manage and develops each year’s communications plan to support Annual Giving, including website, school publications, online donation pages, community appeals, etc.
- Working with Communications, graphic artists, writers (at times), print shops, and mail houses - supervises all components of each Annual Fund appeal (mailings and e-blasts) from concept creation to writing, editing design, data management and production
- Working with Associate, Stewardship and Communications and Manager, Alumnae and Campaign Events, plans and executes stewardship activities for various Annual Giving constituencies to thank, steward and cultivate these groups
- Oversees production of annual giving reports and metrics working alongside the Director, Advancement Services
- Participates in all planning and strategy activities of the department
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Post-secondary education and at least five years of experience in annual giving
- Excellent relationship manager with the ability to engage new volunteers and retain existing volunteers
- Superior project management, organizational and planning skills as well as a track record of program development and implementation
- Progressive experience in donor relations and the ability to implement principles and practices of stewardship
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Attentiveness to detail
- Ability to work with sensitive information with complete confidentiality
- Significant experience working productively with alumnae and volunteers
- Experience in the development and production of fundraising materials
- Experience managing departmental budgets within specified guidelines
- Experience with segmentation, development writing, solicitation, material design and database management
- Highly developed computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) as well as Raisers Edge
- Proven ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to bring a creative lens to the area of annual giving
- Currency with best practices and giving trends
- Sense of humour
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating Director of Annual Giving in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca