Posted On: 2017-11-28
Closing On: 2017-12-31
Location: London, ON
Effective: January 2018
Employment Type: Full-Time
International Justice Mission is a global organization that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. IJM partners with local authorities to rescue victims of violence, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen justice systems. International Justice Mission Canada shares this mission. The largest organization of its kind, IJM combats slavery, sex trafficking, sexual violence, police brutality, property grabbing and other forms of violence in 17 regions throughout Africa, Latin America, South Asia and Southeast Asia.
IJM Canada is seeking a qualified and energetic professional to initiate and cultivate relationships with new and existing major donors and key churches in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). The successful candidate will have a proven track record of building genuine relationships with high net worth individuals and influential churches, and converting those relationships into tangible financial support. The position reports to the Vice-President of Development & Marketing and will work closely with the National Director of Church Mobilization.
- Develop, implement and evaluate strategies to achieve the personal annual fundraising goal in excess of $700,000 from major donors and churches in the GTA;
- Research, develop and implement plans and evaluate strategies to significantly broaden and deepen the base of support from major donors in the region;
- Cultivate relationships with existing major donors to encourage the Christian gift of generosity, increase funding levels and develop relationships with other individuals, resulting in new major donors to IJM Canada;
- Carry an average portfolio of 300 major donors and conduct between 10 - 15 face-to-face visits with donors per month;
- Assist in bringing individual donors to major donor status by identifying and building relationships with local givers with greater capacity;
- Implement and evaluate strategies to capture names and contact information at preaching, teaching and educational events and media exposures conducted by IJM Canada representatives throughout the GTA; use this contact information to identify new donors and build relationships leading to financial contributions;
- Initiate and implement strategies for raising the positive profile of IJM among leaders in the Christian community;
- At weekend preaching and other speaking engagements in Christian churches and in a wide variety of other contexts, articulate effectively, credibly and passionately the story of IJM, the nature of international human rights work, and the biblical call to seek justice;
- Effectively use Raiser’s Edge technology to assess giving potential, track donor communications and progress towards fundraising goals, and maintain updated records and donor information.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business or another related field;
- Minimum of two years’ experience successfully raising over $700,000 in annual funding from major donors; similar experience in corporate sales will be considered;
- Experience developing relationships with people of influence and affluence from various constituencies;
- Proven ability to effectively initiate, develop, nurture and maintain individual relationships with potential donors and the skill to lead those individuals to make joyful financial investments in IJM Canada;
- Experience managing the fund development efforts for a region, including the tracking and reporting of progress towards goals;
- Proven ability to develop a compelling message for delivery in a public speaking context to a variety of audiences and individuals;
- Experience in relating skillfully and sensitively to the Canadian church community and international organizations and ministries;
- Experience in one or more of pastoral ministry or international Christian service or exposure to international human rights work preferred.
- Mature, biblically-based Christian faith as defined by the Apostle’s Creed;
- Demonstrated passion for serving the poor and oppressed;
- Knowledge of and experience with church life and culture;
- Articulate; professional in demeanour and written and oral communication;
- Effective planner and implementer of programs and events;
- Creative and energetic problem-solver;
- Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity;
- Works well under stress and deadline pressures;
- Ability to organize and manage a large and expanding database of donors and contacts;
- Personable; comfortable in relating to a wide variety of people and personalities;
- Sustained positive attitude.
- Position based in the GTA, where the candidate has significant potential donor contacts;
- The position will require up to 50% travel—primarily domestic travel throughout the region, with regular visits to IJM Canada’s headquarters in London, Ontario, occasional visits to IJM’s international headquarters in Washington, DC, and some international travel.
- IJM Canada offers a competitive salary, with medical, dental and retirement benefits;
- Position reports to the Vice-President of Development & Marketing;
- Applications accepted until the position is filled;
To apply, please send Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith *
International Justice Mission Canada
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 336, STN B
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how it is relevant to your involvement with IJM Canada. The statement can either be incorporated into your cover letter or submitted as a separate document. It should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current faith community.