Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 128 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination as to race or creed.
There are three Core Values of our Faith: Salvation, Holiness, and Intimacy with God.
Rooted in these three values are the seven core operational values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory.
Compassion: We reach out to others and care for them.
Respect: We promote the dignity of all persons.
Excellence: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Integrity: We are honest, trustworthy and accountable.
Relevance: We are committed to the pursuit of innovation and effectiveness.
Co-operation: We encourage and foster teamwork and partnerships.
Celebration: We give thanks by marking milestones and successes.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.
Position Purpose summary:
The Major Gift Representative for Corporate & Foundation is responsible for playing a leadership role in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of corporate and foundation philanthropic partnerships. A goal of ensuring strategic high level engagement with corporate and foundation partners at a major gift level, the incumbent will maximize revenue to support mission priorities. This position focuses on donor centered fundraising of major gifts through the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of a portfolio of corporate and foundation donors and prospects, with a special focus on major gift partnerships in support of The Salvation Army Ontario Central East Division – Greater Toronto Area. This role will work closely with program leadership, Marketing & Communications, and with the Director of Development to define giving opportunities and sustain a robust corporate and foundation prospect pipeline.
The Major Gift Officer, Corporate & Foundation will report to the Director of Development.
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing revenue and activity within the corporate sector. Develop the annual and multi-year plan for corporate and Foundation partnership revenue growth
- Lead process to identify high potential prospects who have capacity and interest in giving at a major gift level.
- Work with national office (i.e. THQ) to actively ensure a coordinated approach for prospect identification and clearance
- Develop revenue targets, reviewing financial results and projections on a regular basis using reports, tools and process
- Identify and develop opportunities for corporate engagement and growth across GTA and the Division
- Work collegially and strategically to enhance annual and multi-year fundraising revenue
- Manage an robust pipeline of 150 donors and prospects at the major gift level in various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Build a portfolio of donors annual revenue total of $1,000,000 across OCE Division within three years
- Contribute to and support a culture of the best practices in fundraising
- The incumbent will spend 60% of time facilitating face to face relationship building efforts, with a minimum of 5-10 face to face strategic contacts/month
- Lead new business development within assigned corporate sectors, focused on developing and implementing multi-year plans for cultivating and soliciting support from corporations capable of making annual contributions of $100,000 or more.
Partner Relationship Management
- Using research, staff/volunteer referrals and networks, enhance the existing pipeline and develop new relationships with potential corporate and Foundation partners
- Work with marketing and communications team to support the development of corporate sales tools/packages that will attract corporate support while reflecting organizational priorities
- Serve as an enthusiastic and well-informed spokesperson
- Oversee and personally cultivate, solicit, recognize and steward relationships for key stakeholders, working in partnership with key internal senior stakeholders
- Deepen relationships with existing supporters for excellent stewardship and engagement
- Lead stewardship and communication planning with tailored and meaningful plans for top donors and prospects
- Collaborate actively with the program services team to ensure appropriate representation of staff at donor meetings and/or events
- Maintain active prospect management system in Raiser's Edge NXT.
- Coordinate with other staff on gift accounting, gift acknowledgement, accurate record keeping, and timely financial reporting.
- Participate in an integrated moves management program and prospect clearance process
- Ensure that all outcomes from prospect, supporter and volunteer contact are recorded in the database
- Perform other position-related duties, as assigned, to support Corporate and Foundation Giving and The Salvation Army priorities.
Critical Relationship Management:
- Member of the Publice Relations & Devleopment team; work cooperatively as part of the PRD team to serve the OCE Division
- Develop and maintain connections with OCE Ministry Unit leads and THQ PRD team
- A donor-centered approach to corporate and foundation partners and prospects
- Reports directly to the Divisional Director of Development
- Working environment is typically in the office and travel in the Ontario Central East Division to donor meetings
- Donor meetings and events may require work outside of regular office hours.
The above responsibilities must be discharged in accordance with The Salvation Army’s Mission Statement, in a professional manner, exemplifying Christian standards of conduct.
Education and experience Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education in a related field and/or equivalent experience
- CFRE designation and/or membership in a professional association are considered assets
- Demonstrated corporate fundraising, sales and/or campaign experience and driving the acquisition of contributions at the 100,000+ range.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Raiser’s Edge database, including the ability to create and modify records, queries and reports.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on proposal development and presentation to internal and external contacts
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and leverage innovative approaches to prepare and present grant applications and funding proposals.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills – volunteer briefings, proposal and letter writing
- A strategic mindset with superior listening skills and the ability to interpret the concerns and interests of corporations
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects at once from conception to completion with tightly prescribed timelines
- Ability to establish and build healthy working relationships and partnerships with clients, peers and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development to stay informed about fundraising initiatives and the organization’s mission and objectives
- Appreciation and understanding of AFP Code of Ethics, Policies and Procedures
HOURS: 40 hours per week
SALARY: Under review
Interested applicants are asked to contact Janet Park by December 18, 2017
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.