Posted On: 2017-12-04
Closing On: 2018-01-05
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Internationally acclaimed for its unique environment and expertise in the particular learning needs of girls, The Bishop Strachan School (BSS) has built a reputation over its long history as an undisputed leader in education. Offering a challenging, lively and creative atmosphere, a roster of uniquely qualified faculty and staff, and an inspiring campus featuring a spectacular science and arts wing, BSS inspires each student to find her passion, pursue her dreams and reach her potential through a rigorous academic program.
Helping students become smart, independent, compassionate young women, BSS provides the tools, technology and innovation required to thrive in post-secondary pursuits and beyond. Our unique whole girl approach, commitment to excellence and embodiment of strong values create a profound and powerful learning environment within a supportive, engaged community.
To support our mission of providing our students with the best educational experience, we strive for excellence in every facet of the organization - including providing a stimulating, creative and lively work environment that attracts the best staff and faculty. We are seeking the right candidate to fill the position of:
Senior Development Officer, Donor Relations & Stewardship
Director, Leadership Gifts & Stewardship
Director, Annual Giving
Associate Director, Events & Community Relations
Summary of Position:
Working under the supervision of the Director, Leadership Gifts and Stewardship, the Senior Development Officer, Donor Relations & Stewardship, works closely with other Advancement staff and colleagues across the school to design and implement a comprehensive donor relations program that supports the Advancement Office’s solicitation initiatives at all levels.
Specific Accountabilities Include:
- Provides strategic, proactive leadership in developing and implementing creative stewardship programs for the school
- Develops and implements strategies to engage donors in a way that may lead to additional gifts in the future and keeps them engaged at the school
- Participates in moves management with the fundraising team and regularly prompts stewardship “moves” with donors
- Prepares and ensures the execution of personalized stewardship plans for high-priority donors in collaboration with the Major Gifts team
- Improves and implements giving societies for Annual and Major Gift donors in collaboration with Advancement colleagues
- Recommends and implements systematic, effective and appropriate stewardship practices for endowment donors
- Develops and implements a program for volunteer recognition and stewardship
- Works with faculty and staff to identify opportunities to capitalize on school events/speakers/classroom activities to steward donors
- Oversees all naming and physical recognition at the school including the maintenance of current plaques and donor walls, ensuring all naming documents are up-to-date, as well as, the identification of other recognition opportunities for either soliciting or stewarding donors
- Plans and organizes, in collaboration with the Associate Director, Events & Community Engagement, all upcoming stewardship events and "experiential" stewardship activities ensuring their success in meeting school objectives and priorities
- Develops and designs comprehensive and creative publications and reports to strengthen relationships with donors
- Recommends, improves and implements appropriate mechanisms to acknowledge donors at all levels
- Ensures that all donor dollars are being used in a manner that is consistent with the intention of the donor, by thoroughly documenting, reporting and managing both the donor records and the request for funding program
- Acts as a resource person for Advancement and school staff on donor recognition and stewardship activities
- Researches best practices in donor relations for all programs and makes recommendations for implementation through policy development and adherence. Working with the Director of Advancement and the Director of Leadership Gifts and Stewardship, ensures that naming and recognition policies are up-to-date
- Maximizes the use of Raiser’s Edge as a tool for documenting naming opportunities tracking, implementing stewardship plans and tracking donor stewardship related activity
- Creates metrics for assessing the effectiveness of donor relations’ activities, and implements a continuous improvement process to conduct ongoing analyses of existing programs
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned.
Skills, Experience and Attributes Include:
- Bachelor's degree or community college diploma
- A minimum of five years fundraising experience with at least three years experience in a donor relations and stewardship role
- Experience in developing and executing a comprehensive and successful stewardship program for both Annual and Major Gift donors
- Excellent interpersonal skills and very strong person-to-person relationship-building skills
- A self-starter with demonstrated ability to proactively take initiative
- Experience managing a signage and recognition program
- Experience working directly with front-line fundraisers to develop strategies for stewarding donors with the purpose to ready them for a future gift
- Creative and out-of-the box thinker to develop innovative and personal ways to steward donors
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated experience coordinating publications and working with a variety of stakeholders
- Keen understanding of current finance and accounting principles in the not-for-profit sector
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning and time management skills
- Ability to work in a team environment, be strategic as well as tactical, and have the resourcefulness and ability to problem-solve
- Ability to manipulate, analyze and manage data/gift information
- Strong technical skills particularly with Microsoft Office, Raiser’s Edge, Photoshop and other publishing software
- Ability to attend evening functions as required
- Flexibility, positive attitude and sense of humor
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at The Bishop Strachan School by email to email@example.com indicating Senior Development Officer, Donor Relations & Stewardship in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance.
We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview.
We believe that diversity in our School fosters a rich, inclusive and creative environment.
We are actively engaged in building a more diverse school and encourage all qualified applicants to apply.
Visit us at www.bss.on.ca