Posted On: 2017-12-04
Closing On: 2018-01-04
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position: Senior Advisor, Philanthropy
Reports to: VP, Development, Ontario
Department: Development, Ontario
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Permanent, Full-time
THE HEART AND STROKE FOUNDATION
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.TM Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.TM
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
Reporting to the Vice President, Development, Ontario, the Senior Advisor, Philanthropy will work with the Development team to achieve the highest priority needs of the Foundation while managing a portfolio of individual prospects, organizations, and family foundations at various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
The incumbent will have a mastery of the technical and analytic aspects of the fund development functions and be committed to the principles and culture of philanthropy. This includes superior communication and relationship-building skills with donors and volunteers and a genuine interest for interacting with people. The Senior Advisor Philanthropy must be capable of quickly establishing trust and credibility within a multi-layered, results-oriented organization and build relationships with multiple key internal and external stakeholders. He/she will be intellectually curious by nature and have exceptional abilities in finding and creating innovative and meaningful ways to engage and cultivate donors and successfully close and steward major philanthropic gifts.
- The incumbent will spend the majority of time facilitating face to face relationship building efforts managing a portfolio of approximately 100 prospects in various stages of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship with an expectation of 5+ face to face strategic contacts/month.
- Effectively and successfully integrate Heart & Stroke’s compelling reasons to give, goals and objectives, programs and services and the role of philanthropy in achieving organizational goals with prospects/supporters.
Contribute to and support a culture of the best practices in fund development to create efficiencies, improve fundraising margins and contribute to building a stronger culture of philanthropy.
- Work collaboratively with the Central Team on the research and identification of new prospects and in the process of prospect management and clearance
Using research, staff/volunteer referrals and networks, enhance the existing pipeline and develop new relationships with potential major donors in Ontario.
- Strategically and compellingly aligns the organization’s priority project needs to the prospect/supporter interests.
- Identifies and qualifies gift and supporter involvement levels of $25,000+
- Develop major gift cultivation and solicitation strategies for assigned prospects.
Collaborate closely with Team Central to develop and deliver high quality, highly customized proposals, solicitations, and stewardship materials.
Ensures effective, personal, meaningful and continuous forms of involvement opportunities.
Negotiates gift terms and bring solicitations to closure with or independent of volunteer leadership, as appropriate.
Delivers prompt, personal and meaningful gift acknowledgement correspondence.
Works with the Central Team Stewardship portfolio to ensures appropriate meaningful recognition and thorough stewardship including follow-through on the gift implementation, administration of the funds and related expenditures .
- Ensure that all outcomes from prospect, supporter and volunteer contact are recorded in the database within 48 hours.
- Ensure the seamless collection and coordination of information for prospective donor advancement purposes .
- Participate in an integrated moves management program and prospect clearance process.
- Develops internal and external reports on trends and opportunities for prospect identification, methods and processes of inquiry/qualification as required.
- Participate in the development of the annual business plans and financial outlooks and budgets for the Ontario Development Team and monthly review of progress against plan.
Take an active role in learning about and keeping up-to-date with the Foundation’s priority funding opportunities, with particular alignment with nation-wide priorities and interests.
- Undergraduate Degree
- CFRE designation, plus involvement in a professional association
Experience and Skills
- 3-5 years direct major gifts/campaign experience in a University/ Hospital $50 million+ fundraising environment
Past demonstrated track record of independently closing individual major gifts of $100,000 or more
- Experience working in a multi-layered, complex, results-orientated institution with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Experience participating in an integrated moves management and prospect clearance process
- Effective verbal communication skills to make persuasive oral presentations to senior management, internal and external constituencies, conduct participatory meetings, gain acceptance on decisions and to advise and collaborate with others
- Skill in developing and implementing successful strategies for identification, cultivation and solicitation of individuals
- A professional and superior client-service approach
- Excellent project management, prioritization and organizational skills
- Ability to gather and analyze major gift prospect and solicitation data from a variety of sources for entry into a central database (BBCRM)
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume and cover letter to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.