Posted On: 2017-12-07
Closing On: 2018-01-01
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Advancement Operations Coordinator
The Advancement Operations Coordinator is a key member of the Advancement team. Having responsibility for providing operational and administrative support to the team along with lead responsibilities for data management, gift processing, and donor mailings, this role holds both strategic and operational accountabilities.
CIFAR’s core purpose is to create knowledge that enriches human life and leads to a better future for Canada and the world. Since 1982, CIFAR has been connecting the world’s best minds through interdisciplinary research programs to tackle difficult and important questions of global significance. By helping innovative pioneers push further, and inspiring young research leaders to join them, CIFAR is able to expand the boundaries of understanding in ways that would otherwise not be possible.
CIFAR offers its research fellows the rarest of commodities: freedom to take the kinds of intellectual risks that are essential for creating truly transformative knowledge. And then CIFAR helps to share that knowledge – on everything from improving human health to advancing technology, from building strong societies to sustaining the Earth – with engaged stakeholders who are ready to put ideas into action.
Based at 138 universities and research centres around the world, CIFAR fellows are among the most highly cited and honoured researchers in the world. As many as 18 Nobel Laureates have been associated with CIFAR since its inception, including the most recent recipient, Arthur B. McDonald, associate fellow in CIFAR’s program in Cosmology & Gravity, recipient of the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics.
The work of CIFAR’s fellows and advisors has transformed our understanding of population health, the Earth’s evolution, early brain development, artificial intelligence, the effect of institutions on prosperity, and much more.
CIFAR is generously supported by the governments of Canada, British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, Canadian and international partners, as well as individuals, foundations, and corporations. CIFAR’s international partners include the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, and Inria in France.
Gift processing and Finance Support
- Receive and monitor donations from all sources, creating gifts in salesforce, filling out Gift Processing Forms, and follow established business processes
- Working closely with the Advancement Operations Officer, issue official receipt documents for all gifts
- Regularly communicate gifts received to the Advancement team
- Maintain paper and electronic records for received gifts and pledges
- Work with the Finance Department to code all revenue, ensure revenue is deposited quickly and accurately, reconcile revenue and ensure gifts are properly and accurately coded and receipted
- Generate donor recognition lists and coordinate approvals
CRM and Data management
- Generate constituent lists based on standard or custom criteria as needed by the Advancement team to assign campaign memberships or to compile recipient lists for mailings or e-mail broadcasts
- Regularly check for and resolve standard problems with data and system functions, including identifying and sending duplicate records to the IT helpdesk, resolving failed credit card payments, identifying and resolving e-mail bounce-backs
- The Advancement lead for performing regular data hygiene functions ensuring records of top prospects and donors are always up-to-date
- Work with the Advancement Operations Officer and the Salesforce Administrator to proactively identify and resolve problems with data integrity or system functionality
- Maintain Board Member, Committee, Council of Advisors, and Director Emeriti Primary Classification types and term lengths in Salesforce
- Assist with event activity, including but not limited to sending and following up on invitations, participating in events in an assigned role, executing event attendee follow-up activities, and other duties as may be required
- Provide prospect management support by uploading prospect profiles to salesforce
- Manage the annual stewardship mailings by working along with the Individual Giving Coordinator by pulling list and coordinating the mailing
- Work with Campaign Managers to customize packages of printed materials for CIFAR staff to take to scheduled donor meetings.
- University degree required, Fundraising diploma/certificate an asset
- 3-5 years of experience in a fundraising capacity
- Demonstrated writing skills, administrative skills, and data management experience
- Demonstrated maturity in interactions with the Board of Directors, donors, etc.
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- Strong knowledge of data management and experience with CRMs. Salesforce.com experience an asset
- General office administration knowledge and skills including records management and financial management administration, attention to detail and accuracy, organizational skills
- Computer skills: ability to use Microsoft Office suite effectively and efficiently in the preparation of documents, spreadsheets, and presentations
- Numerical and technological: to learn and understand database management systems and CIFAR’s CRM, accurate data input and analysis, and an ability to solve minor technical problems with the CRM or advise others
- Communications & customer service: oral and written skills to interact with donors, Board members, staff and management, answer internal and external inquiries professionally and courteously, draft documents/correspondence and compose email which are clear, concise and error-free
- Organizational: to organize own work; ability to organize and carry out multiple tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines and get the job done under pressure; must be flexible to deal with work assignments from more than one person
- Relationship Management: Strong diplomatic, interpersonal and customer relations skills; Ability to act maturely in dealings with CIFAR stakeholders
- Analytical & problem solving: to recognize the need to provide service/support, assist others in the conduct of their responsibilities as required, to coordinate schedule to maximize best use of time, must be accurate and detailed in conducting responsibilities
- Team orientation: willingness to work collaboratively as part of a team
Position reports to: Director, Corporate & Foundation Partnerships
Term of position: Permanent
Start date: January 2018
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Advancement Operations Coordinator” in Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is 11:59pm on Monday, January 1, 2018.
To find out more, please visit our website: www.cifar.ca
CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on abilities.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.