Posted On: 2017-12-07
Closing On: 2018-01-08
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Temporary
***One (1) year temporary contract****
We are seeking an individual with great team spirit to join our dynamic Foundation team!!!
Providence Healthcare is a leader in providing rehabilitation, palliative care, long-term care and community outreach in Toronto. In our Hospital, we help adults of all ages rehabilitate after strokes, orthopaedic surgery, lower limb amputations or other complex medical conditions generally associated with aging. Our Hospital also offers palliative care, helping people approaching the end of life by providing state-of-the-art care in a supportive environment. Our long-term care home is home for each of our 288 residents. With a focus on quality of life and the implementation of best practices, the Houses provide the highest standards of comfort, care and safety for our residents.
The Foundation offers a professionally challenging environment where creativity, initiative, personal commitment and the spirit of teamwork are valued and expressed daily. We work within a fast-paced environment with an intense, yet motivating, workload. Our donors, volunteers and staff are dedicated to our role of ‘helping people and healing lives’ through philanthropy.
This senior marketing and communications professional is a pivotal member of the Foundation leadership team. Primarily responsible for all communication functions of our Foundation, s/he will set the tone and inspirational messaging behind all Foundation marketing and communications, including traditional and social media content. Essential in ensuring a Foundation-wide aligned message, will support the Foundation team to cultivate and engage all key influencers and audiences with professional and well-constructed communications.
As main staff lead/liaison with the Providence Communications Department, will ensure all Foundation communication messages are aligned with the Providence key messages, and foster a motivational message and tone for our fundraising audiences. This exceptional communicator writes and/or provides appropriate editing/sign-off on all communication materials, including but not limited to all external articles or marketing materials, event Programme Booklets, proposals, stewardship reports, donor thank you letters, and newsletters. As main staff lead for our ‘Awareness Strategy’, s/he will lead the Awareness Committee, an essential component of the Foundation Strategic Plan, and a Committee of the Board. Main staff lead for the annual direct mail campaign(s), including strategizing the theme(s) and executing on all details of the mailing(s).
This is a high-profile position, with both internal and external reach, and requires an emotionally mature, self-motivated professional with sound judgement, extensive communication skills, and ability to work under minimal supervision. Some evening and weekend work is required.
- Develop and maintain an annual Development Plan for awareness and communication initiatives (incl. direct mail) with critical path and budgets;
- Staff lead for the Awareness Committee, ensuring strong and streamlined efforts to raise the public’s awareness of Providence Healthcare Foundation with a goal to attract new and bigger donor audiences;
- Works closely with the Awareness Committee leadership to plan meeting schedule, agendas, facilitate meetings, set annual goals, and plan and assess all communication/marketing activities;
- Works closely with Major Gifts Manager to plan and executive the Campaign awareness initiatives, including Campaign Launch and Close events;
- Official staff liaison with any communication related external suppliers and consultants and main staff lead for all communication content;
- Reviews the ‘in-the-moment’ digital communication content and works closely with Digital and Social Media Manager or executive volunteers to ensure message content is appropriate;
- Monitors, guides, trains and teaches efficient, appropriate and consistent Providence messaging to PHF staff and/or Board/Committee members as necessary;
- Create and implement, with Awareness Committee input, all awareness tactics and strategies;
- In conjunction with Awareness Committee, identify, cultivate and secure sponsors and Media Partners for signature events and cultivation programs;
- Staff liaison with Communications Department, and main point of contact for all Communication Department approvals of Foundation written materials, or vice versa;
- Build awareness of the “Providence dream” through media and public relations strategies, and where appropriate government engagement;
- Provides and/or approves writing content for all Foundation communications including, but not limited to Foundation media alerts; direct mail; portfolio brochures; newsletters; special letters of correspondence; Special Events promotional materials & Programme Booklets; annual report; website; speech writing; and advertisements;
- Writes all donor letter templates to encompass approved Providence Healthcare key messages and Foundation fundraising strategies. These templates include but are not limited to; general template thank-you letters, customized letters to major and ‘special’ donors, and also including templates for each post-event customized letter/email to event attendees, donors, sponsors, GIK donors, committee members and friends, etc.;
- Writes and/or facilitates writing of all external donor communications (e.g. Newsletters, Foundation articles in Annual Report and Connecting with the Community, Keeping in Touch, Event Programme Booklets and marketing materials, event speaking notes for all speakers, Committee/Board updates, media advertisements, etc.);
- Works with Communications Department and/or Providence leaders to coordinate patient testimonials for Foundation communications, special events and Board Meetings;
- Writes and oversees Foundation website content.
- Works closely with Digital & Social Media Manager to provide content for social media/marketing initiatives, to ensure alignment and cohesion between traditional and online communication/marketing efforts;
- Spot checks letters generated through Raiser’s Edge to ensure error-free communication;
- Provide strategic media relations at all Foundation events;
- Key point person for coordinating and managing Signature Event communication plans;
- Specifically manages and oversees the Silver Ball “Production Plan” to ensure Providence and Foundation messaging is ‘on point’, and as per approved annual Awareness Plan. Main point of contact at Silver Ball for Production crew and content providers;
- Implements and manages all donor surveys and report the results to the President & CEO/Board in a timely manner;
- Monitors, analyzes and produces reports that measure the impact of media, content and organic search programs, and trends in communication tools;
- Monitors the fundraising community and remain aware of market changes and developments;
- In consultation with the President & CEO, develops benchmarks, metrics and tracking mechanisms for evaluation and reporting on all Awareness strategies, with recommendations for changes, additions or deletions as needed;
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation that governs communication activities (e.g.privacy ~ PHIPA);
- Coordinates, plans and executes all Foundation annual direct mail appeals;
- In consultation with the Direct Mail Consultant/suppliers, strategizes, reviews and edits all Direct Mail artwork, and letters to ensure that they fit within the Foundation’s fundraising strategy and the Providence Healthcare brand;
- Brings final direct mail creative briefs and letters to the President & CEO for final approval before mailing;
- Requests data mining lists from the Database Administrator to ensure effective segmentation of donors, and information that suits the RE system architecture;
- Ensures that deceased patient information provided by the Admitting Department to the Database Administrator, and is inputted into Raiser’s Edge on a monthly basis (to ensure we do not inadvertently mail to a deceased person, which can be devastating to the NOK);
- Creates, or ensures relevant and customized thank-you letters are created, for each direct mail appeal series and ensures they are submitted to the Database Administrator in a timely manner (a minimum of two week before the direct mail letters are mailed);
- Provides thorough analysis of direct mail results to President & CEO (and quarterly to the Board) following each direct mail effort, tracking results to predicted revenue projections;
- Maintains relationships with vendors for Direct Mail print design, printing, and mailing and work with those vendors to secure donations where appropriate.
- Undergraduate Degree/diploma in communications, public relations, or marketing preferred;
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in a not-for-profit or communications or community; engagement environment with documented success in fundraising, public relations, and communications;
- Exceptional communicator with demonstrated success in marketing/communications;
- Strategic thinker with ability to influence and inspire others;
- Demonstrated ability to motivate volunteers and donors - previous experience with senior volunteer boards and committees is ideal;
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of volunteers, staff, and the general public;
- Ability to handle people with sensitivity, confidentiality, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to relate positively to senior staff, medical and other staff promoting co-operation and harmony;
- Demonstrated superior written and verbal skills;
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision and exercise sound judgment in relations with senior volunteers, senior Providence Healthcare staff, and all levels of donors;
- Very good attendance;
- Good performance.
If you're interested, apply online at www.providence.on.ca quoting competition number N17-131
Providence Healthcare Foundation
3276 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON M1L 1W1