Posted On: 2017-12-15
Closing On: 2018-01-31
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
CAMH is Canada’s largest hospital specializing in mental illness including addictions, and one of the world’s leading academic health science centres in the field. By delivering leading-edge treatment, driving research, creating knowledge and advocating nationally, CAMH seeks to inspire a movement for change to ensure any person living with mental illness is restored to fullness of life.
CAMH Foundation is charged with raising and stewarding funds that will enable CAMH to achieve its aspirations and helping to fuel the movement for change.
The Corporate Development Team plays a critical role within the Foundation to advance the world’s mental health in partnership with CAMH, by deepening support from existing corporate partners and broadening the donor base to attract new corporate supporters focused in the area of sponsorship and engagement, cause marketing, philanthropic gifts and other custom partnership opportunities.
The Senior Development Officer, Corporate Development (SDO), solicits and secures gifts within Corporate Canada at the $50,000 to $1 million+ level, with an annual target of $2 million, contributing to the ambitious goals of CAMH Foundation that supports their world leading research, their capital needs, and a range of projects to advance care and treatment.
The SDO is responsible for proactively managing a pipeline of up to 120 prospective donors in all stages of the development cycle. Working closely with senior volunteers, the corporate development team and colleagues across the Hospital and Foundation, the SDO develops and implements cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies that provide prospective partners with meaningful opportunities to impact the cause of mental health at CAMH.
- Develop an understanding of the educational, research, clinical and financial needs and goals of CAMH
- Develop and implement strategies that engage, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of prospective corporate and foundation donors
- Work in partnership with senior management to facilitate maximum private sector support for CAMH
- Engage with and professionally support senior staff and volunteers in corporate gift cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities
- Prepare compelling and strategic corporate development materials including briefing notes, proposals, and stewardship reports
- Engage regularly with CAMH leadership, physicians and staff to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward corporate and foundation donors
- Support the AVP, Corporate Development in the development and execution of corporate gifts and pledges for partners with the capacity to give $1m or more
- Manage a group of 80 - 120 prospects (identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship) using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation
- Identify potential partners and develop strategies to solicit prospects and steward their gifts, including written materials such as cases for support, proposals, sponsorship decks, and scripts
- Liaise with annual fund, mid-level gift & major gift staff to ensure that corporate fundraising is coordinated with their initiatives
- Liaise with communications staff to develop proposals and stewardship reports.
- Liaise with prospect researchers to identify prospects that are appropriate matches for priority areas
- Prepare activity reports (includes: names of donors to recruit/visit, solicitation calls, cultivation calls)
- Maintain accurate, professional and current Raiser’s Edge and hard-copy records, actions, and reports
- Cultivate strong professional relationships with clinical, administrative and research staff at CAMH
- Work closely with donor relations and events team to determine the best strategies for effective stewardship of donors
- Be the Lead to facilitate the development of, and ownership of ensuring the appropriateness and quality of all necessary materials, proposals, cases for support, letters, reports and acknowledgements for cultivation and stewardship of donors
- Work with gift processing to ensure that acknowledgements, tax receipts, invitations, and other correspondence are sent in a timely manner
- Work with senior management to identify and recruit volunteer leaders
- Supervise, coordinate and effectively engage volunteers in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors
- Liaise with assigned groups and committees to provide guidance and leadership and ensure adherence to the priority assessment/adjudication process of the Hospital
Planning & Communication:
- Assist in the preparation of an annual plan of measurable goals and strategies (including precise and practical deadlines), to maximize corporate gifts to the organization
- Provide input respecting corporate fundraising that can be incorporated into the overall CAMHF major gift, mass and mid-level gift, and events plans
- Report fundraising activities (includes: names of volunteers to recruit/visit, solicitation calls, cultivation calls, Board calls-preparation for next campaign-give/get) at corporate meetings and ensure that these actions are recorded in the Foundation’s Raiser’s Edge database
- Work with colleagues to plan and execute proposals, and targeted communications for current and potential corporate partners
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment and conduct role with integrity and respect
- Act as an Ambassador throughout the Community, positively representing the Hospital and the Foundation
- Be conversant with CAMH smart room and CAMH Foundation technologies and tools to enable their job
- Abide by the policies and procedures of CAMH and CAMHF
- Maintain donor and CAMHF confidentiality and privacy at all times
- Abide by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and work in a manner that is safe, reporting incidents immediately to direct supervisor
- Perform other duties as assigned in order to meet the overall goals and objectives of the Foundation
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization
- Maintain knowledge and expertise in relevant fields
Ideal Candidate Profile
Our successful candidate will be a self-motivated individual with a history of success in corporate fundraising. Reporting to the AVP, Corporate Development, the SDO, Corporate Development, will be a key member a high-performing team supporting the ambitious fundraising goals of CAMH Foundation. The incoming SDO, Corporate Development will be responsible for soliciting and securing gifts from corporations that support world leading research, redevelopment, and a range of other projects to advance care and treatment.
S/he will be responsible for proactively managing a pipeline of 120 prospective donors in all stages of the development cycle. Working closely with senior volunteers, the corporate development team and colleagues across the Hospital and Foundation, the successful candidate will develop and implement cultivation, solicitation and
stewardship strategies that provide prospective donors with meaningful opportunities to impact the cause of mental health at CAMH.
S/he will be/possess:
- A University degree and more than five years of fundraising experience preferably in corporate development and preferably with a large, complex not-for-profit organization such as a hospital or university. A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
- Experienced in a large campaign environment (preferred)
- Committed to ongoing professional development, a CFRE designation is encouraged
- Demonstrated experience closing gifts of six and seven figures
- Extremely effective interpersonal skills with a professional presence and manner, and capable of exercising independent judgment, initiative and flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, works proactively, and manages competing priorities in a complex environment
- Excellent organization, planning and time management skills with exacting attention to detail
- Superb critical and analytical thinking, decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to write effectively and persuasively (specifically need to know what goes into writing a good ‘ask’)
- Strong computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office software applications and demonstrated knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or equivalent.
- A flexible team player able to collaborate with and inspire colleagues and senior volunteers
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
Living Our Values
CAMH Foundation has adopted four core organizational values that guide how they achieve their goals. Every staff member is responsible for carrying out their role in accordance with these values and behaviours. The values are as follows:
Make a Difference
Learn and Innovate
If you are someone who is looking for an outstanding challenge, working with a great team for a very important, uniquely focused and successful organization then what are you waiting for?
Please send your cover letter and resume to Lindsay Preston at: email@example.com