Posted On: 2017-12-18
Closing On: 2018-01-21
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: March 2018
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reporting to the Director, Corporate and Foundation Partnerships (CFP), the Associate Director, Corporate & Foundation Partnerships leads and oversees CIFAR’s annual corporate and foundation campaigns.
CIFAR’s core purpose is to create knowledge that enriches human life and leads to a better future for Canada and the world. Since 1982, CIFAR has been connecting the world’s best minds through interdisciplinary research programs to tackle difficult and important questions of global significance. By helping innovative pioneers push further, and inspiring young research leaders to join them, CIFAR is able to expand the boundaries of understanding in ways that would otherwise not be possible.
CIFAR offers its research fellows the rarest of commodities: freedom to take the kinds of intellectual risks that are essential for creating truly transformative knowledge. And then CIFAR helps to share that knowledge – on everything from improving human health to advancing technology, from building strong societies to sustaining the Earth – with engaged stakeholders who are ready to put ideas into action.
Based at 138 universities and research centres around the world, CIFARs 400 fellows, scholars and advisors are among the most highly cited and honoured researchers in the world. As many as 18 Nobel Laureates have been associated with CIFAR since its inception, including the most recent recipient, Arthur B. McDonald, associate fellow in CIFAR’s program in Cosmology & Gravity, recipient of the 2015 Nobel Prize in Physics.
The work of CIFAR’s fellows and advisors has transformed our understanding of population health, the Earth’s evolution, early brain development, artificial intelligence, the effect of institutions on prosperity, and much more.
CIFAR is generously supported by the governments of Canada, British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, Canadian and international partners, as well as individuals, foundations and corporations. CIFAR’s international partners include the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, and Inria in France.
Leads the strategy and execution of the Corporate and Foundation annual fundraising campaigns:
- Provide leadership to and oversee the Corporate and Foundation annual campaigns
- Work with Director CFP to build and execute a growth strategy for corporate and foundation campaigns that supports CIFAR’s strategic plan and priorities
- Develop strategic approaches for renewal and increase of existing corporate and foundation donors and partners
- Own relationships with new and existing corporations and foundations with capacity for giving up to $250K; approximately 30-40 donors/partners and 30 prospects
- Support Director CFP to develop relationships and customized approaches for Foundation and Corporate partners at the Principal Gifts level ($250K+)
- Manage development and/or approve all corporate and foundation renewals / proposal development for $250,000 or under
- Develop strategic engagement and stewardship (including reports) approaches for all assigned corporate and foundation donors/partners
CIFAR Management Responsibilities
- Participate as a member of CIFAR’s Leadership Team, representing Advancement and contributing to planning and reporting efforts
- Participate as a member of project teams as required; develop and maintain deep knowledge of CIFAR’s programs and initiatives
- Advancement liaison to the Research team
Assists the VP and Director CFP
- Contribute to team effort around all Advancement campaigns, donor strategy development and planning
- As assigned, lead or contribute to proposal development process by writing, reviewing and/or contributing to proposal (or other similar documents) writing effort
- Provide support to VP and Directors on Board relations, working together to maximize board member engagement with Advancement efforts
- Contribute to Board reports and speaking notes for Board members
- A Bachelor’s degree in an academic field is required; an MBA or Masters in a related field is an asset
- CFRE designation or equivalent combination of education and experience
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- Minimum of 6 years fundraising experience, and 2 years in a leadership position
- Current knowledge of corporate fundraising, sponsorship and partnership, foundation fundraising trends
- Highest level of communications skills both verbal and written
- Passion for research and the role of science and innovation in society
- Computer skills including strategic use of CRM and pipeline management tools
- Strategy and Creativity: ability to find points of alignment and connection between donor organizations’ goals and objectives and CIFAR’s strategies and programs, synthesize research findings to express CIFAR’s outcomes and aspirations in a way that is inspiring and motivating to potential donors
- Relationship management: ability to build relationships with donors, volunteers and researchers; to work well in a team environment with other staff and participate as a team member to achieve common objectives; to be courteous with others at all times and treat with tact, respect and diplomacy
- Written communications: ability to prepare donor/prospective donor correspondence and proposals (solicitation/reports/thank you letters); to collect and prepare information for briefing notes/proposals/donor reports
- Attention to detail: ability to ensure all donor/prospect correspondence is tailored to the recipient/letter signer; to prepare an accurate annual donor list to appear in various publications; to accurately track financial results / report on results
- Organizational: ability to determine priorities/work flow; flexibility to contribute to group effort as required; careful analysis of campaign financial results and trends; excellent project management, planning and coordination skills
Position reports to: Director, Corporate and Foundation Partnerships (CFP)
Term of position: Full-time, Permanent
Start date: March 2018
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Associate Director, Corporate and Foundation Partnerships in the Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is January 21, 2018.
To find out more, please visit our website: www.cifar.ca
CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on abilities.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.