The mission of the Jane Goodall Institute is to understand and protect chimpanzees, other great apes and their habitats, and inspire and empower people to take action to make the world a better place for animals, people, and the environment.
JGI Canada is seeking a creative and strategic Manager, Development who will be a senior member of the fundraising team. This person will play a significant role in growing the scale and impact of JGI Canada programs. Working with colleagues across the organization the Manager, Development will ensure that fundraising targets are met, that donor relationships are strong and that JGI Canada’s donor base continues to grow.
Reporting to the Director of Communications & Development, and working closely with the fund development team, the Manager is responsible for building and managing the organization’s annual and monthly donors as well as overseeing JGI Canada’s Legacy program. The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, inquisitive, and detail-oriented with a passion for the mission. To be successful in this position, the candidate must be results-driven and possess superior communications and relationship management skills.
- Assume a key role within the Fund Development team to deliver on fundraising targets
- Effectively manage staff to reach goals and generate results
- Lead the development and implementation of annual giving and major gift strategies, including budgets and timelines, with input from the Director, Communications & Development
- Collaborate with the CEO and Director of Communications & Development to develop a cultivation and stewardship program for donors at all giving levels
- Identify, research, cultivate, solicit and close major gifts ($5,000+) with new and existing donors
- Develop and implement an effective moves management program and build donor loyalty through effective welcome/renewal/stewardship/ strategies
- In collaboration with program staff, produce brand-compliant material for donor solicitation, gift correspondence, reports, and relationship management
- Oversee a robust planned giving program that includes the management of bequests, stewarding legacy donors, and identifying and cultivating legacy prospects
- Research and recommend opportunities to grow revenue streams
- Ensure all donor transactions/interactions are tracked and up-to-date in Salesforce
- Contribute to organizational budgeting and strategic planning
- Contribute to and support JGI Canada lectures, presentations, workshops, meetings and other external events as needed
- Minimum of three years of fundraising experience at a senior level
- Experience managing direct reports
- Ability to develop and write successful donor proposals/solicitation
- Experience working at multi-stakeholder, not-for-profit/charity organizations
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral, appropriate to a wide variety of audiences
- Polished and professional style
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Organized and detail-orientated with excellent time management skills
- Experience using Microsoft Office suite of programs and Salesforce or similar database
- Must hold a valid driver’s license
- Bilingual (English/French) considered an asset
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Post-secondary education or training in fundraising and/or minimum of three to five years’ experience in a fundraising environment.
- Experience using Salesforce is a significant asset
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) designation and/or training as a professional fundraiser is considered an asset
To apply for this position send a cover letter telling us why you want to work at the Jane Goodall Institute along with your resume to JGI Canada at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Manager, Development”: (Your Name)” in the subject line by January 19, 2018. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.