Posted On: 2018-01-05
Closing On: 2018-01-24
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Join the Ontario Science Centre as we launch a new strategic plan and develop plans to celebrate our 50th anniversary in Fall 2019. As one of Canada’s most visited cultural attractions and a world-renowned learning institution, the Ontario Science Centre welcomes one million visitors each year. We offer hands-on experiences and insights into science and technology that help visitors of all ages understand and contribute to the world around us.
Play a key role in supporting our mission by expanding new and existing sponsor and donor relationships and funding partnerships, to raise increased financial support for the Centre. Provide energetic leadership to our collaborative Development team and, work with our creative internal colleagues and volunteer leaders to grow corporate and community support.
What can I expect in this role?
Are you a goal-oriented, hands-on leader with strong strategic planning and communications skills? Do you have a proven track record of successful sponsorship, fundraising, sales and stewardship with strong partnership development and relationship management skills? The Ontario Science Centre seeks an experienced individual to lead its annual and long term sponsorship, fundraising and donor/partner-relations programs and operations.
In a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment, the Director, Development & Partnerships provides leadership to the Development & Partnerships team to further the Centre’s efforts to strategically identify/develop opportunities, to attract prospects and to secure and steward sponsorships, major gifts, grants, funding partnerships and annual donations. This role requires creativity, flexibility and experience building an expanded Development program to generate $3M to $5M per year.
How do I qualify?
Strategic Planning/Sponsorship, Partnership and Fundraising Knowledge and Experience
- Proven ability with obtaining financial support by setting and achieving sponsorship and gift revenue targets, and ensuring the viability of diverse revenue generating programs (i.e. sponsorships, donations, government project grants, capital campaigns and special events) for a non-profit organization.
- Proven ability with developing and executing strategies, objectives, and standards for current and future Development activities based on industry knowledge and best practices in the areas of philanthropy, marketing and sales.
- Proven track record of providing strategic input to new projects in order to identify ways to maximize potential for securing external support.
- Proven ability with identifying sponsor and donor interests and objectives, and successfully matching them to organizational priorities and needs.
- Ability to ensure the development and execution of large scale fundraising events, as well as cultivation and stewardship events, to support fundraising and sponsorship goals.
- Proven ability to manage corporate and individual major gift prospects, as well as sponsorship prospects, from identification through to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship and to personally maintain an active portfolio of prospects and supporters.
Communication and Relationship Management Skills
- Superior oral communication, presentation, negotiation and relationship management abilities to engage and successfully work with partners, supporters and senior volunteers.
- Superior written skills and outstanding attention to detail to write key documents such as strategic proposals, reports, and briefing notes.
- Demonstrated ability with preparing, or overseeing preparation of, effective communications and marketing materials including: proposals, evaluation reports, digital communications, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability in establishing and maintaining effective communication and collaborating with key stakeholders, including corporate sponsors, individual donors, foundations, government project funders and colleagues.
- Strong relationship management skills to liaise with current and potential donors and sponsors to demonstrate the value of the Science Centre’s offerings and the impact of their support.
- Exceptional diplomacy, discretion, integrity and judgement are required to ensure strong relationships and long term success.
Leadership and Managerial Skills
- Strong leadership skills to successfully lead, manage, and motivate staff, colleagues and volunteers in order to meet the goals of the department and to build a culture of philanthropy.
- Proven ability in providing professional leadership and direction to direct reports with an ability to establish and maintain positive employee engagement; in addition to managing the recruitment, professional development and performance monitoring of staff.
- Demonstrated creativity, flexibility and problem solving to resolve a variety of strategic and program considerations.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to direct the development of strategies, guidelines and processes for strengthening operational performance and strong analytical skills to ensure ongoing improvements.
- Demonstrated ability with accurate revenue forecasting, budget and resource planning, and managing expenses.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to negotiate and execute complex business agreements, and to manage all administrative aspects of Development services including: prospect research, gift and sponsorship processing and, partner data and donor record management.
- 1 Permanent, 770 Don Mills Road, Toronto
Interested applicants must apply online, by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 117961 in the Job ID search field.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.