Posted On: 2018-01-08
Closing On: 2018-02-07
Location: Toronto, ON
Effective: March 5, 2018 or as negotiated
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position Title: Major Gifts Officer
Report to: Bonnie Patterson, Board Chair, The Roberta Bondar Foundation
Start Date: March 5, 2018 or as negotiated
Employment Type: Full time, 2-year contract; potential for renewal or conversion to permanent position
The Roberta Bondar Foundation (Canadian Charitable Registration: 80743 8759 RR0001) helps cultivate in all ages a sense of awe, respect and appreciation of the natural world in all its biodiversity. Addressing the growing nature deficit in society, its programs use photography actively to engage people of all ages in our natural environment so that they will be better equipped to influence positive change. Co-founded in 2009 by Dr. Roberta Bondar, the signature programs of the Foundation include: Travelling Exhibitions on biodiversity; the Bondar Challenge, a hands-on field-based experiential learning program that promotes environmental awarenes and education; and a thought leadership speaker's series. Reflective of the cross disciplinary thought leader of its namesake, The Foundation supports fusing art & science through photography in ways that stimulate interest, excitement, creativity and responsibility. Our tag line is "Taking Care of Earth. Taking Care of Us."
To provide leadership to develop and implement a diverse fundraising plan for the Foundation that aligns with the Foundation’s objective to raise $5 million over the next five years, building on the 25th anniversary of the Founder’s space flight that was celebrated throughout 2017.
In the short term, to develop and implement a plan to raise a minimum of $250k annually. Work with the Board to build strategic partnerships to leverage a range of fundraising and promotional opportunities as an integral part of both short and long-term planning and execution.
This position will also be responsible for assisting (in conjunction with the Board) in the development of a basic infrastructure reserve fund to support the core activities of the Foundation.
The Foundation has defined four program areas for support:
- Innovation & Inspiration - to support thought leadership to pursue bold strategic directions aligned with the Foundation’s vision and values
- Youth Reach for the Stars – to inspire children and youth to gain confidence to pursue their goals by discovering connections to nature through the lens of a camera; to develop creative nature and environment focused programs for all ages
- Impact Fund – to help enable researchers and field work to develop discovery-based knowledge to inform evidence based decision making on key environmental issues that could influence policy
- Touching the Earth Speaker’s Series – to support and expand outreach to organizations and individuals sharing our passion for the protection of the Earth and the environment
- Develop and implement a diverse fundraising plan for the Foundation that will align with the Foundation’s objective to raise $5M over the next five years
- Support meeting short-term annual fundraising goal of $250K
- Work in collaboration with the Foundation’s Chair, Board and volunteers to animate and refine the Foundation’s case for support, ensuring it’s aligned with the Foundation’s goals and objectives, and meets the needs of its donors
- Oversee and execute effective stewardship strategies to strengthen donor relationships: ensure gifts are processed appropriately, thank you calls, letters and tax receipts are executed promptly and stewardship reports/letters are issued on a timely basis
- Prepare donor correspondence: thank you letters, stewardship updates, proposals, gift agreements, etc.
- Prepare donor Call Reports in a timely fashion (48 hours) to collect all intelligence, outcomes and actions required
- Provide strategic advice and support including quarterly reports to the Board of Directors as it relates to fundraising activities and potential
- Provide professional volunteer management for fundraising volunteers including preparation and review of research and briefing notes to support volunteer call activity
- Work independently to set personal goals, monitor work and evaluate results to ensure that the Foundations fundraising targets are being met
- Participate special fundraising assignments and events
- Manage the overall relationship with relevant advisory board members involving staff and volunteer leaders as appropriate
- As a result of identified funding opportunities, work with the Board to determine alignment with mission and program
- Proactively identifies new prospects and carries out execution of prospect activities
- Undertake prospect research (individual, corporate, foundation) as an ongoing task
Cultivation, Solicitation & Stewardship:
- Participate actively in the moves management process to ensure progress for cultivation to effective solicitation and stewardship
- Support and work with Board Members and other volunteers to identify new prospects
- Cultivate prospects based on research
- Plan, write and execute proposals, and targeted communications for potential and existing donors
- Pursue and attend meetings with prospects to solicit support independently or with Founder, Chair or volunteer as appropriate
- Initiate and maintain prospect donor database
- Prepare tracking reports of activity for chair, board and volunteer committees
- Act as an ambassador in the community, positively representing the Foundation
- Operate within the culture and core values of the organization
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of related education and business experience – preference in Business Administration, Fundraising, marketing or equivalent
- CFRE preferred or demonstrated commitment to obtain this designation
- Ability to use sound judgment and maintain discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy and creativity and problem-solving capabilities
- Proven and successful track record of achievement, most particularly related to fundraising and successful proposal development
- Excellent administrative skills and organizational abilities including solid working experience using a Mac platform and relevant technology such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Raiser’s Edge
- Self-motivated and able to work from home office
- A valid driver’s licence and access to a vehicle as required
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with senior volunteers for fundraising
- Three to five years fundraising experience and interest in the environment
- Demonstrated success in major gift fundraising and/or annual fund development including managing and forging relationships with volunteers and donors
To apply for this full time, 2-year contract position, send a cover letter telling us how this role fits with your background and experience along with your resume to The Roberta Bondar Foundation at email@example.com with "Job Posting" in your subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.