Posted On: 2018-01-08
Closing On: 2018-01-26
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Women’s College Hospital Foundation is seeking a dynamic, detail and results oriented Communications Officer to join our high-performing Community Engagement and Marketing Communications team.
ABOUT WOMEN’S COLLEGE HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
Women’s College Hospital Foundation is a team of highly energetic, inspired and dedicated professionals committed to advancing health for women and health solutions for all. We steadfastly live in our values of respect, caring, integrity and partnership as we live our mission to build life-long relationships with our communities to raise critical funds for our hospital.
We are coming off of three record-setting years in fundraising and have just embarked on a bold new strategic plan, the heart of which is further growth to ensure our hospital is supported as its earns its rightful place on the national stage.
Women’s College Hospital Foundation aspires to be the charity of choice for advancing health for women. If you are values-based, goal-oriented, energetic and fun-loving with a drive for success, then we welcome you to join our team.
ABOUT WOMEN’S COLLEGE HOSPITAL
Women’s College Hospital (WCH) is Canada’s leading independent, academic, ambulatory care hospital with a primary focus on the health of women. Founded in 1883 by Dr. Emily Stowe – a suffragist and the first Canadian woman licensed to practice medicine in Canada – our Hospital has earned its distinguished reputation through hard work, commitment, unparalleled caring and a pioneering spirit of innovation which continues today.
WCH opened the Hospital of the Future – a new, $555 million, state-of-the-art ambulatory facility – in fall 2015. The opening of our new facility amplifies our position as one of the most ground-breaking institutions in the world focused on advancing the health of women and pioneering health system solutions that benefit all people.
WCH is home to one of the only hospital-based research institutes in the world focused on the health of women, and we are fully affiliated with the University of Toronto as one of Canada’s leading teaching hospitals. Learn more about WCH, visit: www.womenscollegehospital.ca / @WCHospital
Summary of Function
As a key member of the Community Engagement & Marketing Communications team, the Communications Officer is responsible for the development of compelling narratives across all forms of mediums to tell the Women’s College Hospital story and its case for support.
Reporting to the Vice President, Chief Community Officer, this role provides expertise in fundraising writing, proposal writing and strategic community engagement.
The Officer liaises extensively with hospital staff and grateful patients in interview environments to gather relevant information for the purposes of story and proposal development, thus strong interpersonal and relationship building skills are a must.
- Principal storyteller: articulate the mission and vision of Women’s College Hospital and WCH Foundation through clear, compelling written donor communications.
- Content developer: serve as principal writer and editor for a wide variety of print and electronic projects including annual Foundation collateral and promotional materials, project summaries for a diverse array of fundraising goals, select funding proposals, donor correspondence, web site content and more.
- Strategic writing support: in collaboration with the Vice President, provide strategic writing support to Foundation executive members, such as the President & CEO and Board of Directors for the purposes of key messages, speech development, event scripts and more.
- Stakeholder & community engagement: implement a formalized strategy to engage and cultivate community ambassadors (consisting of grateful patients, donors and volunteers) who will speak on behalf of WCH and deepen WCHF’s engagement in the community.
- Accountable team player: embrace and consistently enact organizational values of respect, caring, integrity and partnership, supported by being authentic and accountable to yourself and your team.
Accountability & Responsibility:
- Write and review various Foundation communications such as e-newsletter, direct mail letters, brochures, publications, online content for web site, funding proposals, etc.
- Maintain and enhance the Foundation’s information library on hospital priorities and descriptions.
- Develop and maintain the Foundation’s story library with compelling and impactful stories about patients, donors, WCH medical leaders and their work, etc.
- Liaise with appropriate clinical, research and hospital support staff to obtain facts on fundraising priorities and to verify hospital content of final communications (stories, reports, proposals, etc.).
- Interview key stakeholders, donors, patients, hospital staff and physicians for various communication projects.
- Maintain high-level knowledge of Foundation and hospital messaging to ensure consistency in style and language across all marketing and communications materials.
- Degree in journalism, communications, copywriting or related field.
- A minimum of two to three years’ experience working in a development/advancement setting.
- Superior writing and editing skills with an ability to convey a compelling story.
- Keen aptitude for communication and interpersonal relations.
- Demonstrated leadership for hands-on communication projects.
- Relationship builder who is able to communicate with both internal and external stakeholders to maintain positive, professional relationships and employ a strong sense of diplomacy.
- Strong initiative and creativity.
- Detail oriented.
- Strong organizational or project management skills with an ability to balance competing deadlines.
- Superior customer service skills.
- AFP membership is an asset.
Some evening and weekend work required, as well as attendance and participation at special events
Qualified applicants are invited to submit resume and cover letter, stating salary expectations by Friday January 26, 2018 via email to email@example.com
Please include the position title in your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest; we will contact only those applicants selected for further considerations. Please note that submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, and therefore early submission is encouraged. WCHF will be pleased to provide an accessible recruitment process to candidates invited to move forward in our process.