About ALS Canada
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (also known as ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease, or motor neuron disease) is a disease that gradually paralyzes people because the brain is no longer able to communicate with the muscles of the body that we are typically able to move at will. Over time, as the muscles of the body break down, someone living with ALS will lose the ability to walk, talk, eat, swallow, and eventually breathe.
Founded in 1977, ALS Canada and our provincial partners are dedicated to supporting Canadians living with ALS and investing in research to make ALS a treatable, not terminal, disease. We are a registered charity that receives no government funding – all of our services and research are funded through the generosity of our donors and partnerships with provincial ALS Societies. Through the ALS Canada Research Program, we fund peer-reviewed research grants, foster collaboration and build capacity within Canada’s ALS research community, and participate in new areas of research where we are well-positioned to have an impact. Within Ontario, ALS Canada has a role similar to that of the provincial ALS societies providing services and support to help meet the needs of people living with ALS. ALS Canada advocates federally, provincially and locally for better government support and access within the healthcare system for people affected by ALS.
Our world is challenging. The people we serve are dealing with a devastating illness. But in the midst of it, their resiliency and spirit is remarkable and moving. You will be touched by the community and will find a way to naturally and effectively engage.
The Manager, Integrated Marketing and Communications, reports to the Director, Marketing and Communications and will work closely with internal stakeholders to communicate with the ALS community about ALS Canada’s mission and the impact of donor and volunteer support. The Manager will play a key role in a developing team, requiring the ability to contribute strategically and creatively in the planning and implementation of a variety of marketing and communication initiatives with a focus on innovation and building our digital marketing capacity and activities. This role is both strategic and tactical: we are looking for a planner and a doer who is comfortable exploring new opportunities for the organization and striving to deliver meaningful and measurable results aligned with the organization’s strategic impacts related to our work in Research, Client Services and Fund Development including the WALK for ALS, our signature fundraising event. The successful candidate will support these areas in their need to effectively (and in an aligned fashion) communicate with key audiences.
You are someone who takes initiative while demonstrating excellent judgment and a keen awareness of how your work connects with other areas of the organization and the community. You are flexible, comfortable in an evolving role with few precedents, adept in navigating a complex, multi-stakeholder environment, and can admirably balance a high volume of work with high-quality output. Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset. The Manager supervises one direct report and will be involved in managing relationships with marketing vendors/agencies as required.
Strategy and Planning
• In collaboration with the Director, develop annual and campaign-specific integrated marketing & communications plans, budget and metrics in support of organization goals.
• Oversee and participate in the implementation of marketing plans and activities.
• With input from across the organization, develop and maintain the organization’s editorial calendar to ensure strategic, streamlined and aligned execution across all channels.
• Collaborate with the Director to build and maintain a high-performing team including 1 direct report.
• Identify opportunities to strengthen marketing and communications policies and procedures.
• Contribute to, champion and comply with brand and style guidelines to ensure ALS Canada is positioned in a clear and consistent way in all internal and external initiatives.
• Serve as an internal resource/subject matter expert for marketing & brand-related queries within the organization and with provincial partners.
• Oversee the development of a creative services function for the organization and manage contractors and other vendors/agencies as required.
• Develop relationships with marketing partners and explore opportunities for pro-bono/lo-bono supports.
• Manage advertising opportunities, optimizing a minimal budget.
Research and Analytics
• Recommend and develop plans for organization-wide or campaign-specific market research initiatives.
• Develop targets and work with the coordinator to track and analyze metrics including e-mail effectiveness, website & social media metrics using a range of analytics tools.
• Generate data-based insights to strengthen the integrated marketing and communications strategy and inform future initiatives.
• Report on key performance indicators (KPIs) related to marketing and communications plans to senior management and internal stakeholders.
Digital Marketing and Communications
• Recommend and oversee/implement the execution of digital marketing & communications strategies for the organization, key campaigns and initiatives (Awareness Month, WALK for ALS, Holiday e-Appeal etc.)
• Develop proactive and responsive content plans and processes for social media platforms and post/update content when required.
• Oversee the maintenance of the organization’s English/French website and campaign- specific sites & make recommendations for improvement and development.
• Stay on top of best practices and emerging trends to provide strategic advice and counsel related to the organization’s digital platforms.
• Develop strategies, standards and processes to increase presence and enhance user experience on digital platforms (all social media & website) and execute (or oversee the execution of) activities.
• Oversee e-mail communications plans including the effective coordination, creation and distribution of e-newsletters and branded e-mails.
Donor Marketing and Events
• In collaboration with stakeholders develop integrate marketing and communications plans to support donor acquisition, retention and fundraising maximization for campaigns and events (WALK for ALS, Holiday Campaign).
• Develop and oversee the execution of an integrated marketing strategy for WALK for ALS including social media, website content and promotion, e-communications & media.
• Liaise with internal stakeholders to understand and support local event needs including branded collateral, media relations, etc.
• Provide input into prospect donor recognition and corporate partner activation strategies when required.
Content Development and Creative Services
• In collaboration with the staff team and external vendors, build and refresh the ALS story database and marketing assets engaging individuals who are part of the ALS community (e.g. people living with ALS, caregivers, researchers, donors, volunteers, etc.).
• Produce compelling content copy & visuals for various channels in numerous formats (e.g. video, audio, written) and work with the Director of Communications to finalize.
• Edit and proofread copy with an eye for detail.
• Serve as an ambassador for the organization with the ALS community.
• Available to work flexible hours from time to time.
• Other duties as required.
Experience and Qualifications
• University degree and/or other relevant credentials related to marketing & communications or a related subject area (e.g. journalism, public relations, digital media, business etc.).
• Proven background in developing and executing integrated, strategic communications plans that build positive brand awareness and reputation and help to achieve organization goals.
• 4-6 years of relevant working experience with clear demonstration of results.
• Experience working in a fundraising or charitable environment.
• Project management experience specifically in developing & executing marketing-related initiatives.
• Experience overseeing staff and external designers/supports.
• Experience with content management systems, editing software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite), analytics and social listening platforms, search marketing and optimization, web design process and best practices.
• Familiarity with applying Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) standards to website content and design.
• Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset, and/or familiarity with the needs of an organization that communicates in both languages.
Competencies and Skills
• Genuine passion for the cause, marketing and digital media.
• Strong understanding of the connection between marketing/communications and fundraising.
• Discretion, compassion and emotional resilience.
• Collaborator who identifies opportunities for the organization and brings new ideas and concepts forward for discussion.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to initiate and manage complex projects and handle multiple priorities concurrently.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Proactive, solution‐ and service-oriented approach.
• High degree of judgement, political sensitivity and creative problem solving skills.
• Positive and results-oriented, with the interpersonal skills and integrity that inspire trust.
• Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team.
• Ability to rapidly adapt to changing environments.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
with Manager, Integrated Marketing and Communications, in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected as a potential candidate will be contacted.