Looking for an opportunity to utilize your fundraising and management skills to make a lasting impact on children and families? Devote your career to The Darling Home for Kids and use your passion and energy to bring people together and raise vital funds for medically complex children in our community!
What our organization needs.
Our Director of Development will be an outgoing and driven fundraising professional with demonstrated success creating and executing comprehensive fundraising strategies that diversify and optimize revenue streams for small to mid-sized charities. Working as the manager of a small, full service fundraising team, our Director of Development is responsible for the full scope of activities related to the development and implementation of a strategic annual fundraising plan to generate $1M in revenue for our operations, as well as essential equipment and ongoing capital projects. The successful candidate has a proven track record in developing and managing relationships with key stakeholders including individuals, foundations and corporations.
Join a team that is passionate about helping kids!
The Darling Home for Kids is a place of joy and tranquility, filled with the smiles and laughter of children engaging in unique and enriching experiences. Our organization provides respite, hospice palliative and residential care for children who are medically complex, many of whom depend on technology for daily living.
When you join our team at The Darling Home for Kids, you are joining a group of passionate, committed and dedicated professionals who believe in our mission, and strive each day to provide an oasis of comfort and joy for our remarkable children. We are a small team, joined with a common goal to dream big and create possibilities.
Leave your mark on a charity unlike any other in Canada.
Located in Milton, The Darling Home for Kids was Ontario’s first paediatric hospice and respite centre. Built on 77 acres of woodlands, we are a state of the art facility providing essential care to families facing the daily challenges of caring for a child with complex medical needs. We are the only organization in Canada to integrate highly specialized paediatric respite care with hospice care and residential services
Work in an environment that truly inspires!
Leave your typical office space behind and work surrounded by 77 acres of woodlands, in a space where smiles, laughter and comfort abound. Eat lunch in a therapeutic sculpture garden, have meetings in our clubhouse and see the relief on the faces of parents in the family room as they benefit from your hard work. The impact of your contribution to the team is just steps away on the faces of our children. Inspiration will surround you!
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Develops, implements and monitors a comprehensive long-term fundraising strategy, in alignment with the organization’s strategic objectives and in consultation with stakeholders.
- Creates, implements, monitors and provides leadership for an annual Fundraising Plan aligned with the approved fiscal budget.
- Implements, manages and evaluates both formal and informal donor recognition and stewardship programs. Ensures effective donor relations and stewardship practices required for donor retention.
Increases net revenue to support the organization’s operations, capital purchases and projects; raises in excess of $1M annually.
Plans, develops, manages and evaluates all aspects of fund development, including but not limited to direct mail, third party events, foundation requests, grant applications, special events, major gifts, sponsorships, bequests and other fund development initiatives.
Manages corporate, foundation and individual major gift prospects, as well as sponsorship prospects, from identification through to cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of gifts at the five and six figure level, and personally maintains an active portfolio of prospects and supporters.
- Researches and identifies new sources of revenue to ensure the financial sustainability of the organization.
- Ensures the ongoing success of our signature fundraising events through sponsorship sales ranging from $2,500-$35,000 and provides leadership for our event committees, working with the Events and Sponsorship Lead.
Management and Leadership
- Manages the Development Department and direct reports, including event staff, administrative staff, and volunteers.
- Provides leadership to volunteer committees, including a subcommittee of the Board of Directors - the Development & Communications Committee.
- Adheres to industry best practices. Develops, implements, and monitors compliance with fundraising policies, procedures and processes.
- Works collaboratively across teams and departments in the achievement of the organization’s mission and vision.
Marketing and Communications
- Represents the organization at community events, public speaking engagements and cheque presentations.
- Manages and oversees the production and distribution of promotional materials, publications, newsletters, donor impact reports and annual reports for the organization, ensuring their accurate and timely delivery.
- Develops and executes a communication and public relations strategy to increase awareness of the organization, and generate revenue.
- Develops, fosters and maintains positive networking relationships with key stakeholders, and liaises with local media to continually promote the organization.
- Utilizes social media and other digital spaces to promote the organization, recognize sponsors and donors, and engage new supporters.
- Maintains comprehensive donor records utilizing a CRM database.
- Remains apprised of emerging charitable sector trends and legislation and ensures organizational compliance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience, in a related field.
Minimum 7 years of progressive fundraising experience in senior leadership positions.
Demonstrated experience identifying, stewarding and securing major and planned gifts, and sponsorships at the five and six figure level.
Engaging and dynamic leader, with strong management skills.
Ability to handle multiple competing priorities and be self-motivated in a complex and, at times, demanding work environment
Extremely effective interpersonal and relationship skills coupled with professionalism and poise.
Dynamic communicator with the ability to create compelling communication materials as a vehicle for revenue generation.
Demonstrated integrity and a commitment to the AFP code of ethical principles.
Ability and commitment to foster a culture of philanthropy within an organization.
Computer proficiency with a working knowledge of social media applications and donor management database software.
Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) an asset.
Flexible schedule is required to accommodate weekend and evening meetings and events.
Unlimited access to a reliable vehicle and a valid Driver’s License.
Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector screening.
To Apply: If you feel that you are the ideal candidate for this position and you want to make a difference in the lives of children and families, email your resume and cover letter including salary expectations to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for applying. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or visits, please. The Darling Home for Kids is an equal opportunity employer, and will accommodate applicants with disabilities in the recruitment process.
The Darling Home for Kids
Attention: Kristin Horrell
5657 15th Side Road Milton, ON L9E 0C8