Posted On: 2018-01-25
No closing date
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Coordinator, Estates, Legacy Giving
Reports to: Senior Manager, Legacy Giving
Department: Development, Team Central
Location: Toronto, ON
Status: Full-time, Permanent
Life. We don’t want you to miss it.™ Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives.™
That’s why Heart & Stroke leads the fight against heart disease and stroke. Powered by donors and volunteers, we fund life-saving research and help Canadians lead healthier lives.
Heart & Stroke is a health charity active in communities across the country. We are sustained by the commitment and generosity of more than 100,000 volunteers and more than 1.4 million donors.
The Coordinator, Estates maintains careful oversight of the Foundation’s estate administration processes and protocols, reviewing the Estate’s administration, and ensuring timely, respectful communication with Estate Representatives to ensure that the Foundation receives its full interests while enriching positive relationships with key influencers. The incumbent displays high attention to detail and superior organizational skills in dealing with the significant value ($20+ million annually) and complexity of this portfolio. The incumbent acts as subject matter expert to support fundraisers throughout the Foundation.
- Review open estates to determine status and follow up with executors, trustees and lawyers to ensure estate files are moving forward appropriately
- Establish and adhere to work flow procedures that enable prioritization for collections, releases and other file documentation for action and follow-up to facilitate cash flows
- Coordinate the communications for the Program, including seeking the advice of the Foundation’s legal counsel (for Estates) and Agent of Record (for Insurance Policies), answering inquiries from solicitors and potential donors and acting as a liaison with Estate administrators from other provinces and at other charitable organizations
- Maintain the file count for the Estate Program with accurate and timely update on all files (hard copy files, spreadsheets and database)
- Independently and/or in consultation with Senior Manager, Legacy Giving seek advice of the Foundation’s legal counsel, other charities, financial planners and insurance agents to ensure the most beneficial results on issues of mutual interest
- Alert Senior Manager, Legacy Giving to all potential contentious estate matters, time-sensitive issues, public relations implications, litigation issues, etc., always bearing in mind to maintain a donor-centric atmosphere of negotiations
- Provide assistance to provincial colleagues with processing gifts of securities
- Collect and analyze data for the development of the annual business reviews with Senior Manager, Legacy Giving
- Special projects as determined by Senior Manager, Legacy Giving
- Open, monitor, and independently review legal documentation received using specialized knowledge of Estate administration, and make decisions within defined functional limitations, paying close attention to legal requirements, Public Trustee regulations and family and estate law
- Review notifications and enter information into the database and respond with the appropriate correspondence
- Verify all estate accounts to ensure that all claims are valid and legal, executor fees are within acceptable and legally stipulated limits, prior to approval by the Senior Manager, Legacy Giving
- Accountable for all cash and electronic bank deposits, receipt management and weekly and monthly revenue reconciliation leading up to annual audit
- Prepare the legal releases to executor under seal for signature by the Senior Manager, Legacy Giving during various stages of the administration process ensuring that all information in the releases are accurate and legally binding
- Responsible for all administration work as it pertains to Life Insurance Policies and Charitable Remainder Trusts in the name of the Foundation, liaising with donors, external insurance consultants/agents, legal representatives and internal staff to ensure that premiums are paid on time and policies are up to date
- Close files upon completion of administrative processes
- Enter all relevant Estate information and revenue into Blackbaud CRM
- Advise Development Team when new Major Gift or Legacy prospects are identified through relationships with next of kin, executors or trustees
- Develop and maintain strong internal and external relationships
- Provide timely support for all aspects of the program to internal and external stakeholders.
- Work in conjunction with other H&S departments to ensure gift designation and recognition are met, on an as-needed basis (e.g. Research, Regional offices etc.)
- Record all transactions and update all daily incoming correspondence in database and act as the point person for key reports relating to the Legacy Program
- Maintain current and accurate database information to ensure accurate revenue tracking, giving trends and analysis
- Develop, monitor and provide historical data, metrics and analysis to assist in forecasting Estate revenue
- Ensure that the correct information is recorded for the Caring Hearts Circle and assist the team with required follow up
- College diploma/Degree
Experience and Skills
- 3-5 years’ experience with legal and estate administration. Legal or para-legal training is an asset.
- Knowledge of provincial estate laws is an asset
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and good fundraising database skills
- High degree of discretion required with confidential financial and personal information
- Ability to problem-solve in varied situations
- Strong planning and organizational skills with emphasis on detail and accuracy
- Displays tact, diplomacy, attention to detail and trustworthiness, and takes initiative
- Ability to manage multiple priority projects over varying timeless with interruptions
- Ability to proactively manage and prioritize deliverables
- Strong communication skills with both external and internal stakeholders, including listening, explaining, and guiding other through estate administration processes.
- A team player, open to collaboration with colleagues at H&S and other charities
- Highly professional manner
- Experience in Blackbaud CRM, Raiser’s Edge or other relational databases an asset
If you have the qualifications and share our passion for our mission, we invite you to forward your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to HSFC.Recruitment@heartandstroke.ca. We offer comprehensive benefits including pension, dental and medical coverage.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please include the exact job title, including location, in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, due to volume, we can only contact those selected for interviews.
Candidates from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. If you have been contacted for an interview and require an accommodation due to disability to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please advise and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Learn more and get involved with Heart and Stroke at www.heartandstroke.ca
™Life. We don’t want you to miss it., Saving moments. Funding breakthroughs. Saving lives., and the heart and / Icon on its own or followed by another icon or words in English are trademarks of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada.